• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia 04/05 - 26/05

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So the plan is have no significant passes and finish on the same climbs but at lower altitude. Not much of a contingency for the two stages the entire route is based around.

Really a shame. Talk about bad luck regarding the weather in this Giro.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
If they can do any halfway meaningful racing on friday and saturday it will be a victory for the organisers, but yeah, it does reduce the race's "epicness" significantly.

Is that possble for them to find a mountain solution that quickly?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
deValtos said:
I hope they find good alternatives or else we'll go through an entire GT without a proper mountain stage ! :eek:

I don't think that it would be worse than observing absolute omission in a proper mountain stage.

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Gavia today...

13128196.jpg

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
if it would just fuccing stop snowing (and bring higher temps), a race here would be fantastic.

If the temps rose they'd be doing white-water rafting with all that lot coming down the mountain. Actually, on a non-Giro related note, I hope the temps don't rise too fast back to normal, because that's a lot of ice that might melt in a short space of time (normally it would thaw slowly as the temps go up bit by bit). Don't want to be at the bottom of that mountain if that happens.

Could be one of the lames GT in years on parcours alone if stages 19 and 20 are essentially neutralised.

One medium mountain top finish has been completed.

The two high mountain stages thus far have been significantly affected.

The only multiple mountain stage had the first climb neutralised.

In reality we know that this could be considered by the riders as one of the toughest GTs in recent times because of the weather.

I suspect the majority of stage 19 will have to be altered given the altitude.

More of Stage 20 will in all likelihood survive save for possibly the Giau and the final section of the final climb.

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Ya right the organizers are willingly losing exposure/money because they are afraid their italian maglia rosa who has been in total control so far loses his jersey . . .:rolleyes:

I know you stuck Sophistic82's quote in your reply, but I thought I'd let you know that you must have pressed the wrong button somewhere along the line, because what you said in no way relates to what he said and so makes you look pretty silly. Just letting you know.

Ryongsyong said:
I know you stuck Sophistic82's quote in your reply, but I thought I'd let you know that you must have pressed the wrong button somewhere along the line, because what you said in no way relates to what he said and so makes you look pretty silly. Just letting you know.

Well my turn to let you know i guess. what Sophistic82 meant was that with Evans and Uran pink the organizers would be more willing to keep the original course because this way the big italian hope aka Nibali would have more chances to gain time on them therefore reaching pink. Ofc this is not the case because Nibali is already in pink, so the organizers aren't all that worried about the 2 stages they would get most exposure from being cancelled because it only makes it easy for the italian to win.

Got it now?

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Well my turn to let you know i guess. what Sophistic82 meant was that with Evans and Uran pink the organizers would be more willing to keep the original course because this way the big italian hope aka Nibali would have more chances to gain time on them therefore reaching pink. Ofc this is not the case because Nibali is already in pink, so the organizers aren't all that worried about the 2 stages they would get most exposure from being cancelled because it only makes it easy for the italian to win.

Got it now?

I already had it, thanks. That's why I told you your mistake. Now that you have shown that you understand too maybe you should go back and edit your earlier message which suggested you thought Sophistic82 had said they took out the mountains because they were worried Nibali would lose the lead, which you've now shown you don't think s/he said. Of course if you want you can keep the message the same, but people will think it's an odd reply.

Ryongsyong said:
I already had it, thanks. That's why I told you your mistake. Now that you have shown that you understand too maybe you should go back and edit your earlier message which suggested you thought Sophistic82 had said they took out the mountains because they were worried Nibali would lose the lead, which you've now shown you don't think s/he said. Of course if you want you can keep the message the same, but people will think it's an odd reply.

You need to do some reading on the giro moser won ;)