• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's impossible to build up a meaningful gap on a train like that. 5 out of 10 best climbers in the Giro will probably be Sky riders, good luck riding away from them. Wiggo can even let the Colombians sprint for bonus seconds at the finish.

only quintana can do, btu he will do the tour and vuelta

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Lanark said:
Clearly the number 9 of the Giro is better than the winner of the Tour de France, obviously.

As for Henao you have to take into account
1) 2012 was his first season in Europe
2) he's still kinda young
3) they made him ride for others during the Giro

Taking all that into account and the parcour of last years Giro and TDF, it is possible that indeed last years number 9 in the Giro might be climb better this season than last years winner of the TDF.

However being a bit better in climbing isn't going to do much for him in a 55km TT.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's impossible to build up a meaningful gap on a train like that. 5 out of 10 best climbers in the Giro will probably be Sky riders, good luck riding away from them. Wiggo can even let the Colombians sprint for bonus seconds at the finish.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, just very difficult. Sky's climber filled team is definitely going to be hard to beat though. But it should be remembered that a team is only as good as their leader, and I'm not convinced we will see the Wiggins of 2012. And I am convinced we will see Wiggins rivals (Nibali, Gesink, Sanchez, etc.) be much stronger this year than last.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Wiggins, Porte, Henao, Dombrowski, Kennaugh, Knees, Lopez, Kiryienka, Uran, Cataldo

ohh,and how is Froom's team going to look like?
eisel,swift...and these *****:eek:

ohh Lord,so good team for this guy called Sir Climber Wiggins,ridiculous

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
ohh,and how is Froom's team going to look like?
eisel,swift...and these *****:eek:

ohh Lord,so good team for this guy called Sir Climber Wiggins,ridiculous

Froome doesn't need a train. Big diffrence.

Anyway it'll be preety decent still :

Froome, Wiggins, Thomas, EBH, Eisel, Knees, Siutsou.

JTL ? Uran ? Porte ? Pate ?

More than enough I'd say.

Gloin22 said:
When did Knees say he's doing Giro ?

There was a quote from him on a journo's twitter feed. It makes sense anyway. He's in Oman with the Giro squad (minus Froome) and he's Wiggins' preferred flat domestique. For what it's worth I think another flat dom like Pate will also make the team which means two of the guys listed above will miss out and probably be used at the Tour.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Isn't a bit early to say that? He's only 23, produced some promising results in 2011 and spent all of last year on the track (winning a gold medal at his home Olympic games).

he's a pro for 2 years now and shown absolutely NOTHING and with sky that really is bad, most riders do very well there. I think he might lakc the endurance for the world tour. he comes from track after all.

Ryo Hazuki said:
he's a pro for 2 years now and shown absolutely NOTHING and with sky that really is bad, most riders do very well there. I think he might lakc the endurance for the world tour. he comes from track after all.

He had some promising results in 2011. I remember him climbing well in Poland and being the only one able to follow Dan Martin (finished 5th on GC). 3rd on GC in Route du Sud, 9th on the queen stage in Brixia Tour. Not AMAZING results but not absolutely NOTHING either.

Let's wait and see what he does this year before writing him off. He's actually the only British climber on Sky with some good junior results behind him which makes a nice change...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

JTL will do the Vuelta

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

I know he doesnt need train,but he deserves some respect.
Thomas,ebh,eisel,knees,pate what a great climbers:rolleyes:...and Jtl - respect for this guy, but Alpine climbs?Sorry sir:eek:...and like a bonus ,tired Sir Climber Wiggins riding in grupetto every single stage.
Only good mountain domestiques are Uran,Sioutsu and Porte(if he isnt tired).

I'd be surprise if Porte doesn't end up riding in support of Froome in the TdF, he seem to be Froome's most trusted ally seeing as he was a last-minute insertion into the Vuelta 2012 team and they are regular roommates. So I wouldn't discount the possibility of both Wiggins and Porte doing both the Giro and the Tour.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
wwabbit said:
I'd be surprise if Porte doesn't end up riding in support of Froome in the TdF, he seem to be Froome's most trusted ally seeing as he was a last-minute insertion into the Vuelta 2012 team and they are regular roommates. So I wouldn't discount the possibility of both Wiggins and Porte doing both the Giro and the Tour.

That would be great,save Porte for Tour!but still,if he has command from Brailsford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS