• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
What's happening with Lampre? Are they sending Scarponi, Cunego, and Ulissi? If so, who's going to be the leader? If they did send the three of them and with Niemiec and Serpa they actually have a team which could compete with Skyborgs during climbs....maybe.

Scarponi will be there, and will likely be going for GC as the teams leader. Ulissi probably will do the Giro as well I think, he should be given a free role, especially if he enters it in his current form.

movingtarget said:
I think they would have been better off saving one of the Colombians for the Tour to complement Porte.

theyoungest said:
Blanco look like they're prepared for a lot of flat echelon stages. Just two or three real climbers, that's not much.

All Blanco have to do though is just hope Gesink can stick with the sky Train. Kelderman, Garate and Kruisjwijk should be enough help for the mountains. Also they do not want to lose time to Sky and probably Astana in the TTT and need to protect Gesink on the flats, so he does not crash- like in basically every other GT.

Sky can use G, EBH, presumably one of the Colombians, Xandio, Porte and Wiggins, to ride in support of Froome. Knees I would also say would ride.
That leaves one more, of whom they can select a dearth of other riders.

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
whittashau said:
What's happening with Lampre? Are they sending Scarponi, Cunego, and Ulissi? If so, who's going to be the leader? If they did send the three of them and with Niemiec and Serpa they actually have a team which could compete with Skyborgs during climbs....maybe.

My crystal ball says Scarponi is the leader and a lock for the podium.

greenedge said:
All Blanco have to do though is just hope Gesink can stick with the sky Train. Kelderman, Garate and Kruisjwijk should be enough help for the mountains. Also they do not want to lose time to Sky and probably Astana in the TTT and need to protect Gesink on the flats, so he does not crash- like in basically every other GT.

Sky can use G, EBH, presumably one of the Colombians, Xandio, Porte and Wiggins, to ride in support of Froome. Knees I would also say would ride.
That leaves one more, of whom they can select a dearth of other riders.

Exactly, it's not that bad. They're training now in Tenerife, Gesink, Kelderman, Kruijswijk, Clement and Bobridge. Garate will also go there.

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
This year the competition is better, last year he didn't podium. Recalculating....

I figured if you're going to predict something, might as well be confident about it. I do realize that because I want something to happen, that doesn't mean he's a lock to do it :)

Scarponi will turn some heads this year.

*shaking fake glass ball*

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
will10 said:
He was good in Paris Nice. I sense he'll be ready come May.

He wasn't too shabby in Catalunya either, snagging a podium place in the final stage.

Giro del Trentino should be next? Lampre isn't giving up much info when it comes to Scarponi.

BHLB3vWCcAABHLv.jpg:large

will10 said:
Yep, Intxausti is a decent bet for a top 10, although in some parallel universe Cobo could finish on the podium.

i actually think intxausti will step up at this years giro, he would already be around the top 5 at last years vuelta without the echelons crash stage where he waited for valverde.

i certainly have more faith in him for a good result then on guys like basso . . .

Parrulo said:
i actually think intxausti will step up at this years giro, he would already be around the top 5 at last years vuelta without the echelons crash stage where he waited for valverde.

i certainly have more faith in him for a good result then on guys like basso . . .

Yes, I think so. Also riders like Cobo who are either awful or great. Can never tell before the race starts how he will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS