• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
gooner said:
Small bit of difference in stage 7 which won't really affect the race too much if at all. Between Casacanditella and Villamagnia it is a bit more lumpier but not too much difference either. The Villamagna is now a categorised climb(GPM 4) where it wasn't in the provisional profile.

That has the makings of a good stage.

Just one difference actually to stage 13. The climb to Diano D'Alba is now gone and the big climb after it the Tre Cuni is now categorised(GPM 3) where it wasn't before. The descent is slightly different but otherwise the run in is very similar. A bit of downer about that first climb missing. It looked a nasty short sharp kick up.
:( fortunately the "big" climbg is still there. Should be interesting anyway.

I checked out the parcours again yesterday and noticed a TTT on stage 2. I was sure I recalled seeing a prologue instead (thought Fabian was riding to get the pink jersey via the prologue)?? If there was a late change to this then why? Anyhoo, I think a prologue would be better, especially as TDF has TTT this year. But overall it's still a great course. The first week is filled with hilly stages and having the long ITT so early (stage 8) is going to be great for the racing I believe. In Australia I gather that we are getting all the weekend stages live, which means we get 8, 9, 14, 15 (Galibier which will be epic) and 20 (even more epic). Really looking forward to it.

The field is so strong this year. Last year the main protagonists were Hjeidedel (still don't know how to spell it), Basso, Scarponi, Rodriguez and De Gent. This year you take out Rodriguez (not sure if De Gent is racing?), but add Wiggins, Nibali, Sanchez and Evans. Wow! Keen to see how Henao goes too. He might be a semi protected rider in case Wiggo cracks, and might be strong enough now to podium. I think that Basso could still be up there. His preparations for 2011 TDF and 2012 Giro were greatly interrupted (if memory serves me correctly) so if he has been injury free this season then he might be able to build up to closer to his 2010 form. It's not like he was horrible last 2 years either. Glad to see that Evans is riding too. Don't understand why more riders don't ride the Giro. If you are not THE favourite for the TDF then it's a good option. If you don't begin well then you can pull out halfway through and consider it as training for the TDF; otherwise continue on and try for a high overall finish. This will be Evans' mindset I am sure.

An early prediction? 1. Wiggins 2. Nibali 3. Basso (yes, that's all rather predictable)

I thought RSNT were going to be sending a massively strong TTT squad to go there- and Cancellara would not have had to drag them around as much as he does when with the Shlecks- so i think that was their plan.

TDG is not riding- he is doing the TDF instead.
Gesink will also be there- i like him so i hope he goes well- his 6th at the Vuelta last year was a great comeback from the 2012 TDF crash he had.

greenedge said:
I thought RSNT were going to be sending a massively strong TTT squad to go there- and Cancellara would not have had to drag them around as much as he does when with the Shlecks- so i think that was their plan.

TDG is not riding- he is doing the TDF instead.
Gesink will also be there- i like him so i hope he goes well- his 6th at the Vuelta last year was a great comeback from the 2012 TDF crash he had.

How would RSNT have a strong TTT Giro squad if guys like Horner, Monfort, Zubeldia and Kloden are riding the Tour? And even with their best possible squad I doubt they will defeat Sky and possibly Astana and BMC (Evans will have little support in the mountains, but probably some strong support on the flats), so I think Cancellara is fighting an uphill battle, though admittedly riding without the Schlecks makes that La Toussierre rather than Zoncolan :D

Sorry, I completely forgot about Gesink, and he's a definite contender, though I'll stick with my predicted trio for the podium. Hope Robert has a crash free lead up and three weeks as he is a quality rider.

Are there any other possible podium finishers I've missed? I'll add Uran to the list for now, though he might only be third in the rank on Sky. Has it been determined yet that Porte is definitely being saved for the TDF? And that Quintana is not riding the Giro?

Gesink did have an injury free prep for once. Only in PN he has gotten ill (which is also why he performed badly), then after only 2 good training rides and a lot of rest he still got 6th at Catalunya.

He said today in an interview that a podium is his goal. Main question with Gesink is if he stays injury free for 3 weeks and doesn't lose time in stages you don't expect it. Only then is podium a possibility, there is no room for ****ups in a GT

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink did have an injury free prep for once. Only in PN he has gotten ill (which is also why he performed badly), then after only 2 good training rides and a lot of rest he still got 6th at Catalunya.

He said today in an interview that a podium is his goal. Main question with Gesink is if he stays injury free for 3 weeks and doesn't lose time in stages you don't expect it. Only then is podium a possibility, there is no room for ****ups in a GT

Hopefully Gesink cracks already in the first week, so that Kruijswijk is allowed to ride for his own chances. Otherwise it will be a big Rabofal again.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

The giro will be quite an entertainment in the forum.

I bet Gesink will do good in the beginning, you'll get hope but then...:D

Miburo said:
The giro will be quite an entertainment in the forum.

I bet Gesink will do good in the beginning, you'll get hope but then...

You mean Rob will do a Igor Anton and crash out while wearing the leaders jersey? :eek:

Damn , I'm pretty sure some members of the Dutch mafia would be short to suicide in that case man. :cool:

And I'm not speaking abot Ryo. He will possibly be already out-of-the-game after Chaves and Rujano end in the Autobus on the first mountain station ;):p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wont make it to the finish in that case.

Hell either fight for the podium/ win / 2nd place with Nibali or he wont finish at all.

You really think he has a chance to win this?

Assuming for whatever miracle he'll be in the leaders jersey he'll crack under Nibali's pressure. One rainy descent can be enough ;)

Does he have a good team? If not no way he'll even have a slight chance to win this.

Then again Hesjedal won the giro :eek:

jens_attacks said:
won't make it in the top 20

The only way that will happen is if he falls off again. Don't wanna see that. He got through the Vuelta ok so I think top 10, possibly top 5. After Wiggins, Nibali and Ryder the other positions are pretty open. One of the Colombians from Sky will probably finish high up, depending on how much work they have to do for Wiggins. Scarponi should be in the mix as well. Can't see Rujano or Basso doing much. Evans is the real enigma. Either he starts to show form and finishes in the top 10 or he continues as is and rides into the sunset at the end of the year.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
The only way that will happen is if he falls off again. Don't wanna see that. He got through the Vuelta ok so I think top 10, possibly top 5. After Wiggins, Nibali and Ryder the other positions are pretty open. One of the Colombians from Sky will probably finish high up, depending on how much work they have to do for Wiggins. Scarponi should be in the mix as well. Can't see Rujano or Basso doing much. Evans is the real enigma. Either he starts to show form and finishes in the top 10 or he continues as is and rides into the sunset at the end of the year.

well we'll see how evans rides giro del trentino. That should be an indication how his form looks like prior to the Giro.

lol wtf nibali ahead of wiggins in this poll?

People really are deluded.

How is a rider who is an inferior tter an inferior climber an inferior gt racer more likely to crack on long mountain stages, with a weaker team, going to beat wiggins?
Ok yes its possible wiggins doesnt prepare right or crashes but thats also possible for Nibali. Its also possible that some guy wins a gc in a 30 minute breakaway. But im guessing the people voting for nibali arent all basing their votes on deus ex machina.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Does he have a good team? If not no way he'll even have a slight chance to win this.

Kruijswijk, Garate, Kelderman for the mountains. Tjallingi, Wynants to make sure he doesn't crash in the flat. Bobridge, Clement for the TTT I guess, and Martens probably going for stage wins and all round domestiqueing. Sorta decent team I guess, but certainly no match for Sky or Astana.

In the third week his team will be good enough though, because after two weeks of cycling Kruijswijk always unlocks some sort of secret power that makes him thrice the cyclist he is usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS