• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryo Hazuki said:
why would they need anyone to control flat stages? whatever sprinters teams there are will do of course :facepalm:

:rolleyes:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.

JRanton said:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.
And how many was there for the Tour? EBH and Knees.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
JRanton said:
Eisel? You can say he was there for Cavendish (which he obviously was) but he still rode as a flat dom protecting yellow for Wiggins.
And Cav, himself, was an useful teammate.
The fact he wasn't satisfied with that role misleads many to conclude he was useless.

JRanton said:

Comparing TdF and Giro parcours.

In my mind the Giro route makes it much tougher to control the action compared to last year's TdF stages.

Just check out the "flat" stage immediately after the first TT (sorry for the size):

altimetria_09.jpg

A train going for 12 stages? Maybe.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The tactic for a stage like that is too let a good sized group with no one who is likely to threaten overall go and do not attempt catch them. If you happen to put someone in the lead for a day or two it does not really matter.

Stages 5 and 6 go along the coast. Is there any chance of wind and echelons? Wiggins will need somebody to help him stay at the front if there is any chance of this.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Knees is generally used as Wiggins's wind buffer so that leaves them with only one.

Yes, Knees even seems to do all his races with Wiggins, did Oman, will do Catalunya, Trentino.

In a German interview in January, he said he´d like to do Giro AND Tour this year.

No matter who´ll start the Giro for Sky, Wiggins will have a strong team. Sky and Astana will have the strongest lineups probably.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Yes, Knees even seems to do all his races with Wiggins, did Oman, will do Catalunya, Trentino.

In a German interview in January, he said he´d like to do Giro AND Tour this year.

No matter who´ll start the Giro for Sky, Wiggins will have a strong team. Sky and Astana will have the strongest lineups probably.

Sky's team will be the strongest. Astana will be quite strong but Garmin could put together quite a strong team as well. Do not know whether CVV, Danielson, Talansky, Zabriske are likely to do the Giro.
Even AG2R could put quite a few strong climbers in the team, but they will struggle with TTT and very doubtful they will ride as a team especially if they take Gadret

greenedge said:
The problem with that for Sky would be that a Voeckler/ Arroyo-esque situation could emerge/ it would be after the last ITT- so Wiggins might not be able to regain back all the time.
I really don't see a 50 sized group go or one with a top rider in it, and Wiggo will take massive time in the MTT from most.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:

oh yeah? where is this unwritten(as in made up by you) rule based on? you mean with sky eisel and cavendish? :lolcry: I rest my case

btw, at leats last years tour had like 20 flat stages in them. giro has 3 :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:

astana's team is so overrated. I take androni's team over that any day of the week.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
astana's team is so overrated. I take androni's team over that any day of the week.

Yeah, I actually forgot them, but you´re right, they´ll have a great team for the Giro.

Almost every rider from this team has the potential to win a stage. pellizotti and Sella will be to watch in the mountains, Gavazzi in the sprints, all the others in the breakaways.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Yeah, I actually forgot them, but you´re right, they´ll have a great team for the Giro.

Almost every rider from this team has the potential to win a stage. pellizotti and Sella will be to watch in the mountains, Gavazzi in the sprints, all the others in the breakaways.

I don't know if gavazzi will ride, but with:

pellizotti
rubiano
jackson
sella
ochoa
chiarini
felline
tomas gil
reda

mother of god, what a team for the mountains :eek: all of them are potentially top 30 riders in the mountains., having 9 guys so equally strong is rare

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I don't know if gavazzi will ride, but with:

pellizotti
rubiano
jackson
sella
ochoa
chiarini
felline
tomas gil
reda

mother of god, what a team for the mountains :eek: all of them are potentially top 30 riders in the mountains., having 9 guys so equally strong is rare

All South Americans are brilliant, yes we get that.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Was looking forward to see Majka riding his own cahnce (especially after his 2012 Vuelta performance). But, alas, it seems his knee, which kept him out of the Giro last year, is acting up again (keeping him out of TA so far).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
All South Americans are brilliant, yes we get that.

are you denieing the truth? jackson (top20), ochoa(top 30), gil, winner tachira, venezuela and rubiano won stage in giro last year and is great allround climber and classics rider :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Overrated? we do not call it Astana 09 or anything, but

Brajko
Tira
Kessiakoff

Could all top 15 this race (brajko top 10) if they where captains, so your Androni team can suck it :p

brajko and kessifakoff? those guys that always fgade away after the first week? well good luck for them this giro in the third week and tiralongo is great yes. what else do they have?

Ryo Hazuki said:
brajko and kessifakoff? those guys that always fgade away after the first week? well good luck for them this giro in the third week and tiralongo is great yes. what else do they have?

Agnoli is a decent climber. Kash is going to do the giro :)p) so there you got a top 5 gc rider right there

Honestly, Brajko top 10 last years tour. 7 of those androni guys will not even be close to him this giro :rolleyes:

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Overrated? we do not call it Astana 09 or anything, but

Brajko
Tira
Kessiakoff

Could all top 15 this race (brajko top 10) if they where captains, so your Androni team can suck it :p

I don't rate Brajko very highly, but he probably can do a job, Kessiakoff could be good, but might not be either, Tiralongo should be good. Nothing like what Sky are going to have. Need another very good climber in my view.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Agnoli is a decent climber. Kash is going to do the giro :)p) so there you got a top 5 gc rider right there

Honestly, Brajko top 10 last years tour. 7 of those androni guys will not even be close to him this giro :rolleyes:

Agnoli will not be there when it really matters but can do something on early climbs of the big stages.

However if Sky decide, as seems almost certain, they want to sit on the front for all the mountain stages with 6+ riders supporting Wiggins then other teams only need a couple of climbers to support their leaders. You only need more if you are going to sit on the front and set the pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS