• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
theyoungest said:
Don't mess with the Dirk.

Found this one on procyclingstats:

HANSEN Adam
BELLEMAKERS Dirk
WILLEMS Frederik
DE GREEF Francis
BAK Lars Ytting
BILLE Gaetan
BULGAC Brian
DEHAES Kenny
DOCKX Gert
KAISEN Olivier
REYNES Vicente
VAN DER SANDE Tosh
WELLENS Tim

I.e. every mediocre rider on the team.
Lars Bak ain't mediocre ;)

He saved their Giro last year with a beautiful win :)

movingtarget said:
Not a better TT rider either but for some reason many people see the Giro as a match race between Wiggins and Nibali. As defending champ in a race he loves, Ryder will be hard to beat. All three riders have improved a lot over the past season so it's going to be a great race and hopefully Gesink, Evans and co will also make a race of it.

I doubt Wiggins has improved despite the talk from himself and Kerrison. I think he looks like more like 2011 Wiggins rather than 2012 and that won't be good enough at the Giro.

theyoungest said:
Don't mess with the Dirk.

Found this one on procyclingstats:

HANSEN Adam
BELLEMAKERS Dirk
WILLEMS Frederik
DE GREEF Francis
BAK Lars Ytting
BILLE Gaetan
BULGAC Brian
DEHAES Kenny
DOCKX Gert
KAISEN Olivier
REYNES Vicente
VAN DER SANDE Tosh
WELLENS Tim

I.e. every mediocre rider on the team.
indeed :D thx

movingtarget said:
Not a better TT rider either but for some reason many people see the Giro as a match race between Wiggins and Nibali. As defending champ in a race he loves, Ryder will be hard to beat. All three riders have improved a lot over the past season so it's going to be a great race and hopefully Gesink, Evans and co will also make a race of it.

Astana got a much better team than Garmin though (so does Sky obviously)

Vino attacks everyone said:
Astana got a much better team than Garmin though (so does Sky obviously)
Yeah, Hesjedal got a bit lucky last year that he didn't wear the maglia rosa for very long. Still, Stetina and Vande Velde are useful guys to have with you.

BTW, whatever happened to Navardauskas? I expected a lot from him this spring, haven't seen him at all.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah, Hesjedal got a bit lucky last year that he didn't wear the maglia rosa for very long. Still, Stetina and Vande Velde are useful guys to have with you.

BTW, whatever happened to Navardauskas? I expected a lot from him this spring, haven't seen him at all.

He raced until Gent-Wevelgem, but it seems he totally lacked shape after Tirreno/MSR.

theyoungest said:

You can only beat whoever you are riding against at the time and Rodriguez and De Gendt put in surprising rides. Basso showed that he was not the rider he used to be. Yes Garmin have the weakest of the three teams but when Ryder has to respond it's usually only team leaders and three or four Sky riders left ! Stetina has done well this year and VDV did well in the Giro last year as a domestique. Sky showed that they are not unbeatable in the shorter stage races this year but of course a grand tour is a totally different proposition.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
control shot from Wiggins at the 14th stage... After Trentino I sincerely think he'll win one of MTF's. Galibier win is quite likely. I'd prefer Trecime, though.

Wiggins-Hesjedal-Nibali. The difference between 1 and 2 is 4+ minutes.

Gonna root for Gesink. If he doesn't top-3/top-5 again, it'll be the end of his GT ambitions.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Nibali is not overrated. Yes, he never showed himself a super climber in a GT. Very good climber yes, but not super. People seemingly vote for Vincenzo because they find Wiggins' racing style unattractive. Though, I hope he'll be able to break down this stereotype. Hesjedal anyways deserves at least 1/4 of the votes given to Nibali I guess.

As to steepness of the climbs, I don't know any climber who could be superb at 6-7% but suddenly starts suffering at 9-10% sections. Apparently it is a prejudice based on Wiggins' height primarily.

airstream said:
Nibali is not overrated. Yes, he never showed himself a super climber in a GT. Very good climber yes, but not super. People seemingly vote for Vincenzo because they find Wiggins' racing style unattractive. Though, I hope he'll be able to break down this stereotype. Hesjedal anyways deserves at least 1/4 of the votes given to Nibali I guess.

As to steepness of the climbs, I don't know any climber who could be superb at 6-7% but suddenly starts suffering at 9-10% sections. Apparently it is a prejudice based on Wiggins' height primarily.
The guys who always stay in the saddle tend to have that problem. Basso is the exception that proves the rule.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Pellizotti was a bit dissapointing in Trentino, his last race before the Giro.

Hesjedal I don't think will podium. Not sure Wiggins will win either.

Status
Not open for further replies.