• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
9000ft said:
The experts who post here know their value, I don't think Sky could afford them.

Yeah, their value is to spend life on the forums, post thousands of critical posts and consider themselves the smartest when no one or almost no one ever rode even 50 km alone. A sofa fan is quite hilarious archetype. :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
27 people in the main group. 32 home before gruppo Wiggins.

No way will he win the TT.

Time to ruin Froome's July.

And if Contador doesn't get his best legs again, making our july entertaining :D

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Yeah, their value is to spend life on the forums, post thousands of critical posts and consider themselves the smartest when no one or almost no one ever rode even 50 km alone. A sofa fan is quite hilarious archetype. :)

Some of the best coaches across an array for sports never played that sport to a high level. There is no reason to believe that people here couldn't be more knowledgeable than some within the sport.

Just look at Phil Liggett. Are you going to suggest that he is more knowledgeable than everyone here on this forum about the current cycling world?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
Some of the best coaches across an array for sports never played that sport to a high level. There is no reason to believe that people here couldn't be more knowledgeable than some within the sport.

Just look at Phil Liggett. Are you going to suggest that he is more knowledgeable than everyone here on this forum about the current cycling world?

He is commentator, not a applicant of significat objectivity. He says what he observes within the limits he understands the sport. Some forum members really think if they follow for 3-5-10 years, they are God of parcours, strategy and tactics, whereas they can see only a top of iceberg. They knows nothing about lie of the land, Wiggins', Uran's and Henao's training numbers and their general tactics for the race. However the assumptions are laid out as though it comes from some super insider who knows everything.

airstream said:
He is commentator, not a applicant of significat objectivity. He says what he observes within the limits he understands the sport. Some forum members really think if they follow for 3-5-10 years, they are God of parcours, strategy and tactics, whereas they can see only a top of iceberg. They knows nothing about lie of the land, Wiggins', Uran's and Henao's training numbers and their general tactics for the race. However the assumptions are laid out as though it comes from some super insider who knows everything.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still unconvinced by Wiggins but I would bet on him for the TT tomorrow; the TT field isn't exactly great.
Anyway, best thing about this stage was the victory of a true hard man (like it should be always) and two of my favourite riders in the front group: Majka and Valls. After the murder they'll suffer tomorrow in the TT, I just hope they don't crash and win a big mountain stage each in the 3rd week :p

Gotta give credit to the Lotto boys. A dull squad without any finishers on paper, but they have been racing very aggressive so far and it paid off today.

The stage in general was pretty disappointing though. Vini tactics made little sense and the only gc action were crashes.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Flamin said:
Gotta give credit to the Lotto boys. A dull squad without any finishers on paper, but they have been racing very aggressive so far and it paid off today.

The stage in general was pretty disappointing though. Vini tactics made little sense and the only gc action were crashes.

It was a perfect day for a rather weak group to fight for the win, especially in such weather.

The GC men did fight though, but the slippery corners meant you couldn't create any gaps unless you seriously wanted to risk a crash.(Nibs)

Wiggins and Sky have again been exposed in cruel conditions, that's the only conclusion after this stage. Now it comes down to who'll get the Pink jersey tomorrow.

Pentacycle said:
It was a perfect day for a rather weak group to fight for the win, especially in such weather.

The GC men did fight though, but the slippery corners meant you couldn't create any gaps unless you seriously wanted to risk a crash.(Nibs)

Wiggins and Sky have again been exposed in cruel conditions, that's the only conclusion after this stage. Now it comes down to who'll get the Pink jersey tomorrow.

is this post directed at me? :)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Flamin said:
is this post directed at me? :)

You give credit to Lotto, you'd better give credit to Hansen himself for handling the pressure of his team. He handled everything perfectly today, just always in control. Probably the last chance for a stage win for his team.

And you were disappointed in the GC battle, but it wasn't that bad. Just look at how they raced to Sant'Elpidio last year. Considering the circumstances I'm actually glad they didn't do much, expect Nibali, who immediately felt the consequences of his attack.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:

Mirror, mirror on the wall..... :rolleyes:

Pentacycle said:
You give credit to Lotto, you'd better give credit to Hansen himself for handling the pressure of his team. He handled everything perfectly today, just always in control. Probably the last chance for a stage win for his team.

And you were disappointed in the GC battle, but it wasn't that bad. Just look at how they raced to Sant'Elpidio last year. Considering the circumstances I'm actually glad they didn't do much, expect Nibali, who immediately felt the consequences of his attack.

I gave credit to the Lotto guys, so that includes Hansen, because they've had someone in the break away nearly every day.

I was clearly talking about the stage in general, that's why I wrote 'the stage in general' :rolleyes: I'm not blaming the gc guys for not attacking or anything.

btw, you know attacking uphill on wet roads isn't dangerous right, since you're 'glad' they didn't do much?

theyoungest said:
You call that convincing? If Gesink is a favourite on the basis of that race, then so is Intxausti. Maybe even more, as Intxausti was a domestique.

Hence the question mark.

Of course that wouldn't be enough, but it showed he can still climb. I assume because of better preperation, he basically didn't prepare for the Vuelta, and because he had to recover from a broken leg last year, his climbing has improved relative to last year's Vuelta. Add this years Volta a Catalunya to that and yes, I think he can. The question is how good.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
1:25ish loss.

I was a bit off then. ;)

Still, you could tell after stage 4 that he wasn't going to contend. His form isn't good enough and his head and heart most definitely isn't there for this Giro. The slow build up that Sky gave him to the season wasn't some special Giro-Tour plan, it was given to him because he only started seriously training at the start of January.

Wiggins didn't lose the Giro today. He lost any chance of winning it back in November and December when he wasn't putting in the miles. Completely understandable really after his incredible 2012 and all the end of year distractions which went with it but that's what's happened here.

Oh and calling back both Colombians, particularly Henao who I think is much better than Uran, was incredibly stupid.

JRanton said:
I was a bit off then. ;)

Still, you could tell after stage 4 that he wasn't going to contend. His form isn't good enough and his head and heart most definitely isn't there for this Giro. The slow build up that Sky gave him to the season wasn't some special Giro-Tour plan, it was given to him because he only started seriously training at the start of January.

Wiggins didn't lose the Giro today. He lost any chance of winning it back in November and December when he wasn't putting in the miles. Completely understandable really after his incredible 2012 and all the end of year distractions which went with it but that's what's happened here.

Oh and calling back both Colombians, particularly Henao who I think is much better than Uran, was incredibly stupid.

If it wasnt for the rain he would have lost very little if anything.

TRENDING THREADS