• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Liège-Bastogne-Liège, 21/04/13 257km

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
He was probably spent in the finale, but that was probably because he decided to do nothing but suck Gilbert's wheel all day and he had to make a huge effort on St Nicolas.

That's what I meant. He seems to have waited for Gilbert to close the gap on St Nicolas and ended up having to make a much bigger effort than following Martin and co right away.

Edit: Ans seemed questionable as well... But he was probably spent by then

roundabout said:
It seemed like he did his usual waiting for the other guy to close the gap thing

so, yeah. **** him. plenty of talent, but adds nothing to the races.

the acceleration of dan martin was sublime. maybe only phil in 2011 would have caught him. indeed probably it was a bad idea to put the big ring(?) on the top of saint nicholas but nonetheless the result would have been the same. purito went full-gas and dan martin still easily beat him. can dan martin win the tour?:)

i'll cheer a lot for betancur in il giro, the hilly stages are for him

glad to see also andy alive, good day for him.
about phil, it's pretty clear that he will probably never reach his best omega days.at least he won then all that mattered
astana and sky were ridiculous, what a failure:(

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
he is a ****ign loser, his team worked all day for him and in the end he just wheelsucks for 3rd place, genius

Classic Valverde is Classic

It seems that the guy doesn't even care about winning. It's just wheelsuck, wheelsuck,wheelsuck and then beat the others in his group. Winning the sprint for first or just the sprint for third doesn't even matter to him.

Phil disappointed as expected, but a very nice winner

jens_attacks said:
glad to see also andy alive, good day for him.
about phil, it's pretty clear that he will probably never reach his best omega days.at least he won then all that mattered
astana and sky were ridiculous, what a failure:(

Don't forget BMC. Gilbert #7 (and never within reach of victory) and next best Van Avermart at 63...

Awesome to see Dan Martin get another big victory. After having so many "close calls" the last couple of years he has really stepped up this year!

Very impressed by Nordhaug too, to be able to come 15th here after all the illness and injury he has gone through this spring is mighty impressive.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Roderick said:
Classic Valverde is Classic

It seems that the guy doesn't even care about winning. It's just wheelsuck, wheelsuck,wheelsuck and then beat the others in his group. Winning the sprint for first or just the sprint for third doesn't even matter to him.

Phil disappointed as expected, but a very nice winner

What if... that was all he could do? He didn't have anything left in the last 2km, so my guess is he was tired from bridging across to Hesjedal a.o.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
What if... that was all he could do? He didn't have anything left in the last 2km, so my guess is he was tired from bridging across to Hesjedal a.o.
It wasn't only today. last week in AGR he didn't cooperate with Gilbert and Gerrans. Last years WC. Even the l-b-l's he won he did nothing more than just follow the others and win it in the sprint

roundabout said:
That's what I meant. He seems to have waited for Gilbert to close the gap on St Nicolas and ended up having to make a much bigger effort than following Martin and co right away.

Edit: Ans seemed questionable as well... But he was probably spent by then

Imho, it was consistent with the enormous amount of negative racing.

And, btw calling an athlete a loser for totally appropriate race tactics is weak. You try riding elites off your wheel sometime.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
pastronef said:
I love team Garmin tweets :D

Jonathan Vaughters@Vaughters

Hahshahavhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapprhthfgdghhc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great job by Martin, and Hesjedal too! He's ready for the Giro, go Ryder!

Is Dan riding the giro? Could be a key domestique for ryder if he is. Repay his work today

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
I wonder if Gilbert will keep improving from Ardennes on like he did in 2012, and hit top shape at the Tour instead of the Vuelta.

I think it's going to be the same as last year: Vuelta and then the WC, and then some of the Italian classics. Better for him then the Tour.

Pentacycle said:

If he's good or bad, that doesn't matter. If there is a wheel to suck, you now where to find him. He probably panicked when Gilbert went on the St Nicolas, because he couldn't find a good wheel to suck anymore - they were all gone.