• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, Stage 13: Tours - Saint-Amand-Montrond (173 km)

The winner of the stage will be...

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
PROFIL.png

tdf_stage13_final2.JPG

The final two kilometers

The Route

Like Thursday’s stage, this is another flat one. There is a small category 4 climb with about 100 km to go but the 1.2 km of 4 % towards the top of Côte de Crotz will barely be noticed in the peloton. The intermediate sprint is located after 112.5 km of the stage and we will see the peloton speed up as usually, which should kill a breakaway’s chances of succeeding.

The route takes the riders southeast and that could make for interesting racing if the wind is strong. As it is now, it won’t be a factor though. With ‘only’ 173 km and a light tailwind, it will be a very fast stage. This is most likely the last stage for the sprinters before Paris and they simply can’t afford to miss out.

The Finish

Looking at the profile, there seems to be a tough climb close to the line. That isn’t the case. The road does kick up a little but only for 2.5 km with an average of 2.6 %. This surely won’t be enough to drop the sprinters. The run-in towards the finishing line isn’t very complicated but again ASO have decided to spice it up with a couple of tricky corners on the last kilometer. First the peloton turns left in a roundabout, then right - onto a smaller road - then right again and finally left in a roundabout with 400 meters to go. These four corners mean it’s very important to have one or two leadout men left before the final stretch.

Cat 4s are barely proper climbs lol - THe tight turns near the finish once again look like an accident waiting to happen.

Question is - Will OPQS and Lotto want Argos to do more of the chase work ? Perhaps not been pulling their weight in that so far.

Will Flecha be in the break - Again ! ?

Expect to see a Europcar man in the break, perhaps Reza again ? (Has a fair sprint)

Edit: Rewatched the stage, Argos now pulling their weight in the chase.

What Argos-Shimano and Marcel Kittel did on Stage 12 was simply outstanding. Without Tom Veelers, Koen de Kort delivered Marcel Kittel perfectly on the wheel of Mark Cavendish. Gert Steegmans did a great leadout for the Manxman and even though he seemed sure to take the win, Marcel Kittel managed to come around Cavendish on the final meters. Much like he on Stage 10, when Greipel seemed sure to win. Kittel is right now the fastest sprinter in the world and if Cavendish can’t beat him with a perfect leadout, it will be difficult to deny the strong German his 4th stage win of this year’s Tour de France Friday afternoon. For the first time this Tour, Marcel Kittel is now the man to beat...

The sprint ended early for Lotto-Belisol and Andre Greipel on Stage 12. So far, they have been great at hitting the front at the right time but now it will be more than difficult. Sieberg and Henderson - two of Greipel’s most important leadout riders - both went down hard in the crash and like Veelers, they probably need a few days to get ready again. Furthermore, Jurgen Roelandts hurts his back again after another rider didn’t manage to break in time.

Omega Pharma Quickstep did everything right on Stage 12 but Cavendish simply didn’t have the legs to finish it off. Naturally he - and the team - will be eager to take revenge but against Super Kittel, it won’t be easy.

Peter Sagan seems satisfied with getting third and fourth and we can expect him to do that again in Saint-Amand-Montrond.

Dazed and Confused said:
Do we have a complete picture of Lotto's train damage at this point?
After the finish it was licking wounds for riders and staff. Marcel Sieberg has a bruise on his right knee, Greg Henderson an open wound at the left elbow which had to be stitched and another rider bumped into the already tortured back of Jürgen Roelandts. We hope the three riders will be standing at the start of stage 13 tomorrow.

http://www.lottobelisol.be/en/tdf-licking-wounds-after-stage-12-1296.htm

zombo10 said:
After the finish it was licking wounds for riders and staff. Marcel Sieberg has a bruise on his right knee, Greg Henderson an open wound at the left elbow which had to be stitched and another rider bumped into the already tortured back of Jürgen Roelandts. We hope the three riders will be standing at the start of stage 13 tomorrow.

http://www.lottobelisol.be/en/tdf-licking-wounds-after-stage-12-1296.htm

ouch, sounds painful. Thanks.

Kittel again probably.

lol, that little kicker in the end. Why bother.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the C. Froome options

Should be added as he finished 14th today 5-6 meters of the winner. Something is the stove preparing, maybe a last stage win at sprint :D

Seriously, Cavendish should win it, i hate to see him ashamed like this tour was.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
zombo10 said:
The road does kick up a little but only for 2.5 km with an average of 2.6 %. This surely won’t be enough to drop the sprinters.

oh crap. It looked steeper on the map. I was hoping for some late attack to win the stage. Guess not

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been saying Cav for the win on most sprinter stages, I think I'm cursing him. :eek: So I'll say Kittel to take it. :D Or maybe Sagan to use his superior handling around those corners to get himself a second win, I'd like that.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
What happened to the old-fashioned wide-road dead-straight 2 km cavalry charge sprint finish up some tree-lined boulevard ? I miss those

Prudhomme has been watching the Giro, I suspect.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why have there been so many flat stages during this week? Boring. The only upside is that I have been able to catch up on some sleep. The stage to Lyon may be okay, but yes this has been a boring week so far.