• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, Stage 2: Bastia - Ajaccio 156Km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Finn84 said:
If Kittel gets dropped how will the graphics work? As they usually show just a difference from front of the race to yellow jersey.

This of course, assuming the situation is

Breakaway
Peloton
Dropped riders incl. Kittel

See breakaway peloton cancellara situation every year.;) graphic will show gap to mj, but they will show other gaps at bottom of screen more frequently.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but while the roads across Corsica are great for a stage, the roads around Ajaccio are TERRIBLE for a stage finish. That being said, based on where they put the stage finish, they probably should have used the Chemin de Saint Antoine rather than the Boulevard Tino Rossi/Route des Sanguimaires for the stage finish.

One note...they have to put the finish seaside somewhere, because that's where the press headquarters are (on a boat). Bad as Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen can be (yes, I'd greatly prefer Matthew Keenan), they'd be even worse (and probably plenty angry about things) if they were forced to commentate from 50-60 km from the finish line! Putting the finish line on the Col de Vizzavona simply is not an option.

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I think SKY wants to show muscles and ride the big climb hard. Maybe Garmin wants to be aggressive as well. Im fairly sure that sprinters will be lost, but maybe catching up again. S strong sprinter like sagan is the obvious choice for the stage tho, but i hope for someone else.

No one believing a break can finish?

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
melkemugg said:
I think SKY wants to show muscles and ride the big climb hard. Maybe Garmin wants to be aggressive as well. Im fairly sure that sprinters will be lost, but maybe catching up again. S strong sprinter like sagan is the obvious choice for the stage tho, but i hope for someone else.

No one believing a break can finish?

Why would Sky waste any energy on this stage? Sagan and his team I can understand, but Sky won't do more than keeping Froome out of problem.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
With the crash today I think Cav will be more motivated to get a win. Plus he's been climbing very well this year and if Kittel is dropped (very likely considering his history) he should be able to still take yellow. Will be hard with Tony missing from his leadout, but I think he can pull it off. He's survived over harder stages than this before after all.

Sagan and Kristoff to also contend/take the win if Cav isn't there.

Afrank said:
With the crash today I think Cav will be more motivated to get a win. Plus he's been climbing very well this year and if Kittel is dropped (very likely considering his history) he should be able to still take yellow. Will be hard with Tony missing from his leadout, but I think he can pull it off. He's survived over harder stages than this before after all.

Sagan and Kristoff to also contend/take the win if Cav isn't there.

It is pretty much impossible for him to get yellow (He needs to gap whole field by 1 second)
Edit: Actually, Samuel Dumoulin might get yellow jersey, it would be really awesome imo (He was 6th yesterday)

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
There will be carnage on the way up the big climb. The peloton will break up and theres going to be a lot of gaps. Over the top an elite group of 30-40 riders will start the ascend.

But 60 clicks downhill will leave opportunity for some riders to get back up the leading group and to contest the sprint.

Among them, i see:
- kristoff (guy is a tough nail - look at his classiv season!)
- Sagan (hes gonna be there, might be part of "elite group")
- Gilbert (suprise surprise!)
- Voeckler
- Chavanel

I see Sagan taking this one. But i hope for Chavanel ! GO GO

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Mmmmm

What an interesting Forum!
After being initially shocked by the consensus view that most sprinters are in contention to win the stage, it seems evident that the most important factor is how hard the peloton drives it.
I agree that the big GC teams will probably sit back, although it is very possible that Sky would like to display their Team dominance early on. Is Saxo gonna give Sky a shock by driving themselves? Both these scenarios would undo all Sprinter Teams - except Sagan. If this doesnt unfold then surely Cannondale will push hard tomorrow to undo Cavendish who is realistically the only one who could challenge For The Win.
If Cavendish makes it back to the peloton, and coach incidents aside, then Cav FTW.
Could be a great stage. Will be watching at Vizzavona! :)

SetonHallPirate said:
I hate to say it, but while the roads across Corsica are great for a stage, the roads around Ajaccio are TERRIBLE for a stage finish. That being said, based on where they put the stage finish, they probably should have used the Chemin de Saint Antoine rather than the Boulevard Tino Rossi/Route des Sanguimaires for the stage finish.

Wait, the Bloodthirsty Road? That's a joke right?!

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
With the crash today affecting certain riders health, wouldn't they need to take it easy tomorrow? And if so, would teams push the pace of Stage 2 in order to take advantage of that, whether it be for the stage win, a later starting position in the TTT, a leader's jersey, or for the overall outcome in Paris?

Does that in any way affect how teams will approach tomorrow?

Fight.The.Power said:
it seems evident that the most important factor is how hard the peloton drives it)

Just catching up on this thread but looking at the profile of stage two what about the rather large lumps in the middle of the stage (Cat 2/3) ? Everone seems to be ignoring this. Any sort of pace in that section will shell all the sprinters I'd have thought? Or is everyone saying it will come back together before the short 1k hill prior to the finish?

babastooey said:
With the crash today affecting certain riders health, wouldn't they need to take it easy tomorrow? And if so, would teams push the pace of Stage 2 in order to take advantage of that, whether it be for the stage win, a later starting position in the TTT, a leader's jersey, or for the overall outcome in Paris?

Does that in any way affect how teams will approach tomorrow?

Haha. Nobody is taking it easy tomorrow. Perhaps strategically losing time over the next few days is a better way to describe it.

The competitions for jerseys will shape the race through the middle of the stage. That long drag after the climbs is perfect for a large group to catch a smaller one.

Remember, the race is three weeks, so pushing the pace tomorrow will definitely hurt week two and definitely week three.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Just catching up on this thread but looking at the profile of stage two what about the rather large lumps in the middle of the stage (Cat 2/3) ? Everone seems to be ignoring this. Any sort of pace in that section will shell all the sprinters I'd have thought? Or is everyone saying it will come back together before the short 1k hill prior to the finish?

Doubt they'll race it hard, too early and too easy a stage for the GC teams to go hard on. Sprinter teams will bring it all back together. 60K of downhill will give any sprinter that does fall back on it plenty of time to get back.

TRENDING THREADS