• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, Stage 4: Nice / Nice 25km (TTT)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
They listed Rui as placing like 158th or something yesterday as well. :rolleyes: What does the guy at CN that does results not like him or something. :p

The thing I don't like about Team Time Trials is that they count for the GC and therefore put certain people in the hole and out of the hole, when it isn't simply due to them. This isn't being a fanboy either, but it's true. JRod is already 28 seconds down, Pinot is 40 seconds down and Rolland/Vockeler are 1:13 down. While it's not impossible for these guys to win it now, they are already in the hole and they are going to have to do something big to get back in. It eliminates people unnecessarily early. These TT's are almost always going to benefit the richer teams as well.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Yeah, agree. Chavanel has been attacking a lot so far trying to get a stage win. Tomorrow I think actually presents a good opportunity for a late attacker like chavanel to go away in the final for the win more then it present an opportunity for sprinters like Cav.

No reason why Chav can't attack and force other teams to chase him down, that way Cav has a fresher train if he's caught and the team gets two shots at a win. It's a good thing for Cav that they got pipped today, would have been hard work for OPQS to ride on the front for the next three days and still deliver him to the finish.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Geraint Thomas... what a warrior. Great ride by that team, considering.

Fair play to Greenedge, although with a non-crippled Tony Martin, Steegmans, Cav, and Terpstra I think we'd have seen a different winner. I liked how the Belgian commentator said 'sh.t' when Greenedge crossed the line, they must really like Steegmans because otherwise the team is not that Belgian.

+1...............

Conclussion 1: Tony Martin and Geraint Thomas seem to have recovered fairly well!

Conclussion 2: Is Simon Gerrans smiles any broader than he did today his face is gonna split!

Also, random thought: Funny how Lotto's time is considered a positive surprise while Garmin, with the exact same time, is considered a disapointment!
Yes, I know why, what with Garmin being a major TTTteam, but I guess it says something of the differences between the teams' expectations.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
gjb483 said:
Ted King didn't make the time cut :(

Hopefully we'll see him at the Vuelta.

By 6 measly seconds after doing the whole ttt injured on his own. Are they playing hardball this year? Maybe they'll throw out the grupetto if they miss the limit or penalize the sprinters for hanging on to cars

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
rzombie1988 said:
The thing I don't like about Team Time Trials is that they count for the GC and therefore put certain people in the hole and out of the hole, when it isn't simply due to them. This isn't being a fanboy either, but it's true. JRod is already 28 seconds down, Pinot is 40 seconds down and Rolland/Vockeler are 1:13 down. While it's not impossible for these guys to win it now, they are already in the hole and they are going to have to do something big to get back in. It eliminates people unnecessarily early. These TT's are almost always going to benefit the richer teams as well.

First of all, I have to give yuproper respect for your CN handle. A little Rob Zombie is good for everyone, now and then.

I agree with almost everything you said regarding a rider essentially being penalized for having a weaker T team and others being rewarded. A GC contender could gain time on his rivals on a day like today and - theoretically - bever even poke his nose into the wind. But, TTT's have been part of the sport for about a century and they are not a surprise to the DS's. So, if a team cannot manage to put a couple of strong men into their line-up for the TTT to help a GC contender, it is the fault of the management. By having today's ride be so short, the time gaims and losses are less significant than if the day were longer. This debate has been going on for many years and it will continue to be a point of celebration as well as contention.

As for the TTT favoring richer teams, however, I have to disagree. That may have been true in years past, but every team on the course today had TT specific bikes, top-end aero gear (skinsuits, helmets, discs, shoe covers, etc.).

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
rzombie1988 said:
The thing I don't like about Team Time Trials is that they count for the GC and therefore put certain people in the hole and out of the hole, when it isn't simply due to them.

Well, it is a team sport. As long as the TTT isn't excessively long it is all good.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
liamito said:
anybody has the individual stage results??

Stage 4 TTT results
1 Orica-GreenEdge 25:56
2 Omega Pharma-Quick Step + 1
3 Sky + 2
4 Team Saxo-Tinkoff + 8
5 Lotto-Belisol + 16
6 Garmin-Sharp + 16
7 Movistar Team + 18
8 Lampre-Merida + 25
9 BMC + 26
10 Katusha + 27
11 RadioShack-Leopard + 28