• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de Suisse, Stage 7: Meilen - La Punt 206 Km

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Profile:
2A51B666071D51425B311A514256ED.jpg

AlbulaW.gif

Hopefully both Anton and Andy will find their legs of old times tomorrow. My bet is that Frank will fight for his life and manage to stay in yellow.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Andy to take the win from the break. :cool:
Frank to turn himself inside out and keep yellow. Costa and Kreuziguer to make Frank earn it though. :cool:

:D

Great reminder @Parrulo. This was probably the best mountain ride from Gesink ever, just before his best GT performance ever. He was explosive enough back then, not this diesel Basso style he's now.
Anyway about this stage:
1) I hope Mollema proves himself as true a climber since lots of people think he's more of a puncheur. I like to think of him as a climber and better GT material than Kelderman or Krujswijk.

2) Rui Costa: lots of suffering waiting for him: he hasn't looked in the same shape as last year (winning Verbier like a boss in front of pure climbers). At the end of the day, I'm happy if he keeps his podium chances.

3) Kreuziger, the one I want to win the stage. He has been riding agressively, his teams needs points and I'm a bit of a fanboy. So let's go!

4) Outsiders I want to do well/win: Daniel Martin and Thibaut Pinot. And Andy Schleck, seriously.

On a side note: after riding pointless breaks in the Giro flat stages, I see that Ricardo Mestre is riding this too, probably dead tired considering where he has been finishing the stages. What is Euskaltel trying to do? Burn him out and dump him later in the year? Using him for his points alone and to fill roosters? Really considering and touching of them :rolleyes:

Cyclismactu posted an interview with Costa today and he said that unlike last year, where he was in top shape for the Tour de Suisse, this year he is pointing everything at the tour.

That is why i think he won't manage to keep up with Kreuziguer. Even in top shape he never was a great climber for the big climbs, in some sub top shape form i don't think he can climb with someone like kreuziguer or Pinot.

Between link to the whole interview here:
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-interview-faria-da-costa-beaucoup-de-rivaux-33297.html

trevim said:
2) Rui Costa: lots of suffering waiting for him: he hasn't looked in the same shape as last year (winning Verbier like a boss in front of pure climbers). At the end of the day, I'm happy if he keeps his podium chances.

Was he that great last year? In the remaining mountain stages he was struggling and was saved by having a great Valverde at his disposal. I don't think he is any worse than last year.

qwerty16 said:
Was he that great last year? In the remaining mountain stages he was struggling and was saved by having a great Valverde at his disposal. I don't think he is any worse than last year.

He was bad on the stage to Arosa but according to himself that was more of a bad day caused by a hot day after successful days of col then because of bad climbing legs.

The following day to Sorenberg (?) he was stronger then Valverde on the big climb where Schleck went away. And from getting dropped by a group of about 20 riders the previous day, he was amongst the best 5 the following.

But he was in some really great shape last year, just look at his itt.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Let's see...

Mathias Frank - Not a real bet at this level.

Roman Kreuziger and Rui Costa - Allround guys likely to suffer in a 30 kms climb.

Bauke Mollema - Puncheur. Lacks endurance, not a stage for him.

Dan Martin - Uphill finisher. He doesn't have the engine. Lost minutes with the favorites in the last kilometers of Port Ainé (Catalunya)

Thibaut Pinot - The only real climber of the Top10. Great recovery at this part of the race and good resistency and climbing skills. So he is the man for the win in spite of the descent.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Dan Martin - Uphill finisher. He doesn't have the engine. Lost minutes with the favorites in the last kilometers of Port Ainé (Catalunya)

I don't know about that.

Of course he was going to lose time in the last Kms of the climb. He was in a huge breakaway from earlier in the day and was the only the rider to hold on in the end. That was one of the best rides of the year.

Lol, he climbed as fast as Rodriguez and Quintana despite being in the break and going solo from the bottom. How that is proof of not having an "engine" (whatever it means in this context) I have no idea. If he was in that form here he would win comfortably.