• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 16: Graus→Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal (147 Km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
murali said:
Barguil was more tired than uran. Uran was doing the usual sky wheelsucking, while barguil was doing most of the work in the break.

In the break?? Barguil wasnt in the break till 30 km fron the finish line, so before he wanst working as Urán.

See the stage again. Urán was working one of the most and he was in some attacks and counterattacked the most. He was leeding a small group i.e, when they crossed the embalse (Dam) de Llanuza, and he was the first to counterattack Barguil. Barguil was very strong and brave in his attacked, but not in the hole day, Urán catched him alone and Barguil was after sucking wheel till the last cm of the race.

Brave for Barguil, I love what he did today, very strong and clever, but if you see the hole stage and the final, he wasnt the strongest, Uran wanted to do everything: catch alone 30 seconds disadvantage, to avoid alone others riders join them, to sprint the first and to win, everything with strong cross or headwind, so you need not to be the strongest for that, but much stronger, and Barguil was a strong rider today, and he deserved the win.

:)

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
In the break?? Barguil wasnt in the break till 30 km fron the finish line, so before he wanst working as Urán.

See the stage again. Urán was working one of the most and he was in some attacks and counterattacked the most. He was leeding a small group i.e, when they crossed the embalse (Dam) de Llanuza, and he was the first to counterattack Barguil. Barguil was very strong and brave in his attacked, but not in the hole day, Urán catched him alone and Barguil was after sucking wheel till the last cm of the race.

Brave for Barguil, I love what he did today, very strong and clever, but if you see the hole stage and the final, he wasnt the strongest, Uran wanted to do everything: catch alone 30 seconds disadvantage, to avoid alone others riders join them, to sprint the first and to win, everything with strong cross or headwind, so you need not to be the strongest for that, but much stronger, and Barguil was a strong rider today, and he deserved the win.

:)

I am going to respond to you once, and once alone.

If you feel that Uran is super strong, then i can't change it. If you go by the facts, Uran did less work in the beginning. Barguil did an intelligent thing by letting uran come towards the end, and then following with Uran. In the final sprint, bot the riders had taken different lines. The final sprint was triggered by the fast approaching Huzarski.

You can be a fan of a rider or a team. But, please do not start pestering people with unrelated accusations on the performance of a nice young rider.

Oh, btw, I actually like Uran a lot, and have high expectations of him in the future. But, as someone else in this forum says, we should look at the stages in an objective manner.

My personal policy is to not block anyone, but i have already done for one gentleman. Please do not be the next.

Sorry descender for quoting him.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, i was super-****ed off with saxo team.

Today, I am extremely happy with them. Roche ended up losing some time to pinot, but he is still clawing slowly to pozzo. In fact, he was doggedly following Pozzo and charged at the last moment to creat that one sec gap. Nice ride.

Horner has something that other riders don't have. Age, and immense experience. He read the race correctly and latched on to the right rider on the move. he couldn't meet the final explosion from valv, but that is ok. He put valuable seconds to nibali, and that's all that matters today.

Uran finally woke up and realized that he was in some GT. hopefully, he can build up towards the worlds slowly.

Zinoviev Letter said:
When was the last time someone this young was this good at their first GT? It has to be quite a while.

That he seems to have arrived into the pro ranks with the racing brain of a wily veteran is all the more remarkable. He did Uran over there.

Sagan, Vuelta 2011.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
look at where sagan is now. So, unless argos screws it up, i think this guy is going to feature in more wins in the next year.

The GC riders today:
QM4MC.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
JJGracia said:
How much of a surprise is Konig performance for you?

Konig or Barguil is the most improved rider in this Vuelta?

I had heard about Konig before the vuelta. I had never looked up Barguil before this.

Barguil might turn out to be the David Mouncoutie of future.

Konig needs a better team (anything other than sky) to teach him to get into top-3 GC.

Zinoviev Letter said:
When was the last time someone this young was this good at their first GT? It has to be quite a while.

That he seems to have arrived into the pro ranks with the racing brain of a wily veteran is all the more remarkable. He did Uran over there.
Did WB really do that sprint with his shoe half unfastened?

murali said:
Barguil was more tired than uran. Uran was doing the usual sky wheelsucking, while barguil was doing most of the work in the break.

He was in the first break of the day, he attacked the break at least twice (Movistar captured him the first time), he chased himself other guys... Then he attacked and was able to reach Barguil. If you call that wheelsucking, I suggest you review your Cycling 101 course (probably given here in the last 2 months)

I cannot comment in such statement on who was more tired, because I don't think the riders themselves have the answer

murali said:
I am going to respond to you once, and once alone.

If you feel that Uran is super strong, then i can't change it. If you go by the facts, Uran did less work in the beginning. Barguil did an intelligent thing by letting uran come towards the end, and then following with Uran. In the final sprint, bot the riders had taken different lines. The final sprint was triggered by the fast approaching Huzarski.

I go by the facts, and the fact is not that at the begining Barguil did more job, becouse he was in the bunch and Urán in the break.
the attack? it is similar that Rigo to catch him, and later more for Urán, so...
Barguil had to do more job to cach the break with another boy, but the peloton put the break close in that moment, so it is not the same.

I read now slosada, and I agree.

Barguil was impresive anyway, he is very young and he was claver when he attacked, waiting a little Urán and keeping calm at the end. he deserves the best of the words today.

great finale, didn't expect this at all. but yes yesterday, i saw it in front of the tv, i saw that at one point nibali had a hard time to follow the wheels on peyragudes. it was obvious but chris didn't go...purito and valverde couldn't.

1 Vincenzo NIBALI Italy AST 64:06:01
2 Christopher HORNER United States RLT 28
3 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE Spain MOV +1:14
4 Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Spain KAT +2:29

i still believe papy will win the vuelta,on pena cabarga and angliru he will drop for sure nibali, 28 seconds is nothing. but today i've seen purito being in top shape, the first time this vuelta. he's very dangerous and the time differences on angliru can be huge. valverde...i don't know, probably a stage win and that's all

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:
Why do people moan about 'wheelsucking'? Surely every rider wheelsucks 99% of the time. Maybe they should only watch ITTs!

People like it when riders earn their wins. If a rider just sits on another riders wheel though, then easily comes around them in the end then that rider didn't earn or deserve the win as much as the one that was doing all the work.

(Disclaimer: I don't think there was any serious wheelsucking going on on today's stage.)

Yes, a missed opportunity for Horner yesterday, but Pena Cabarga and Angliru, there's no rush, what matters is wearing the red jersey in Madrid on Sunday!

Honestly it's hard to see how Nibali could recover after these two "weak" days in the mountains. Purito and VV can be dangerous on Pena Cabarga but likely not on Angliru, we shall see!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Yes, a missed opportunity for Horner yesterday, but Pena Cabarga and Angliru, there's no rush, what matters is wearing the red jersey in Madrid on Sunday!

Honestly it's hard to see how Nibali could recover after these two "weak" days in the mountains. Purito and VV can be dangerous on Pena Cabarga but likely not on Angliru, we shall see!

Two? Nibali looked great on both Peyragudes and la Gallina. It was only today that he didn't look good and lost some time.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
JJGracia said:
How much of a surprise is Konig performance for you?

Konig or Barguil is the most improved rider in this Vuelta?

For me not so big surprise, he's really, really good. Doing some great first grand tour of his, with stage win then clever fighting for top ten, even putting in a good survival fight with little virosis. He'd need another ITT but :) In the third week he can climb up through the GC, or fall down, or stay right where is now, which actually is pretty good. But any place higher is obviously better and somebody can suffer crisis.

murali said:
I had heard about Konig before the vuelta. I had never looked up Barguil before this.

Barguil might turn out to be the David Mouncoutie of future.

Konig needs a better team (anything other than sky) to teach him to get into top-3 GC.
Good to see new blood making splashes. Barguil came to my focus when he did so well at l'Avenir. Although it doesn't have the same prestige as in the old days, winning l"Avenir for me tends to ring a tune of great thing to come. Konig, of course we have seen him impress before

webvan said:

How about memories of the 2008 stage with Purito and Ally Vally going with Contador? J-Rod stayed with Contador longer than his team leader even, though once he was dropped, helped pull Valverde (as much as one can on Angliru) and dropped a bit behind.

TRENDING THREADS