• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 20: Avilés→Alto de L´Angliru (142 Km)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins Angliru?

• Breakaway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Imagine without the TT, Horner >>>>> Nibali in mountains, every and each day

The best guy won, gz

Also, Valverde, Purito and a few others would beat Nibali also, any time of the year, at same level of rest.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Watching Angliru stage:
BUI-Z-NCYAI3scP.jpg

EnacheV said:
Imagine without the TT, Horner >>>>> Nibali in mountains, every and each day

The best guy won, gz

Also, Valverde, Purito and a few others would beat Nibali also, any time of the year, at same level of rest.

Well I hate to kick a man when he's down, but yes, this Vuelta does put back Nibali's crushing of the Giro into perspective (can't keep up with a rested 42 year old and barely edges out two guys who gave it all they had in the TDF, see where Froome was last year)...as I posted before I don't think Nibali has really improved since the 2012 TDF, possibly a bit in ITTs. An exciting racer but not a GT winner when decent competition is around.

webvan said:
Well I hate to kick a man when he's down, but yes, this Vuelta does put back Nibali's crushing of the Giro into perspective (can't keep up with a rested 42 year old and barely edges out two guys who gave it all they had in the TDF, see where Froome was last year)...as I posted before I don't think Nibali has really improved since the 2012 TDF, possibly a bit in ITTs. An exciting racer but not a GT winner when decent competition is around.

Let me try and get my head round your logic. He won the Giro because there wasn't decent competition but couldn't with this Vuelta against shot riders and a 42 year old. Aye.

ferryman said:
Let me try and get my head round your logic. He won the Giro because there wasn't decent competition but couldn't with this Vuelta against shot riders and a 42 year old. Aye.

Not sure where you got lost there...let me try to help, the competition was a lot weaker at the Giro, just look at the top 10 if you didn't follow the race.

Moviefan1203 said:
Another great ride by Chris Horner. He was the best man of the race over the course of three weeks, and he's a very worthy winner. What a great day to be an American!!!! USA! USA! USA! It's so nice to finally see an American win the Vuelta a Espana.

I am American and Do Not share your joy...........being American has nothing to do with it.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I think Leopold Konig deserves a mention. Beg you pardon if somebody was faster.
First grand tour in top ten, that's very good performance, I'd unexpected for most. And stage win. And that despite some bug. Not everybody manages this. Shame there wasn't more TT's but :)

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
I'm curious to see how Cardoso will do. He's like 50kg so he should adapt well :D

Just got home and watched the stage on my TiVo (well, Zon Box :D) after spending the day away and desperately trying - and succeeding - to avoid all possible spoilers (and also learning whiskey isn't for me. Is 12 year Ballentine's a good benchmark?). Just read through the thread and I couldn't help quoting this.

What a stage.

First of all, massive chapeau for the Portuguese riders. A reminder to everyone else: Cardoso and Mendes are the only two in the Vuelta. But what A ride. I expected (well, hoped) Cardoso to do well - see that lonely vote for him in the poll? - , but Mendes was a moderate surprise. Even then, both in the top ten in the Angliru? If anything, Elissonde's win proves a victory would have been possible. But at this point, I can't say anything other than I'm proud of them.

Massive chapeau to Elissonde as well. Yeterday, I said I thought we'd never see the day a break succeeded at the Angliru (can't really count Simoni). I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Granted, it was the perfect break: strength in numbers, climbing quality, and a decent gap at the foot. But would anyone have predicted Elissonde out of that bunch? My French doppelganger, maybe, but not many more. And at 22 he nails something most riders can't even dream of, capping off a spectacular Vuelta for France's youth. Brilliant.

And obviously, chapeau to Horner. How could I not after that ride. Certainly not spectacular - and I love a good show - , but you could hardly ask for more than that. Congrats on the ride, and congrats on the Vuelta. I'm not a particular fan of him, but I'm glad to see him win. Let me get one thing out of the way - and I know this will earn me the Clinic's eternal hate, but so be it - : I hate "normal". Every time I nail a great result with my fantasy teams, I feel... rather empty. Everything went as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary. And that's utterly, appealingly... sad. So I love a good surprise. And it goes beyond the underdog factor - hell, who doesn't suffer from that. As someone rightly says in their sig, cycling is only fun because the line between the improbable and the unattainable isn't clear - sorry if I didn't memorize your name. Andy in the '07 Giro. Horner and Elissonde today. Not breaking the standards - because it wouldn't be fun without them - but showing they're a median line, not a cage.

I don't put my hands in the fire for anyone. Not these days. But cycling wouldn't be the same for me without what you some call abnormal - in expected performance of course, not in any other factors.

But the chapeaust of all chapeaus today goes to Nibali. That was absolutely fantastic and took massive guts to pull off. You do not attack on the Angliru - that's what all vets say. But he had to, and he did. He fought to the bitter end and deserves nothing but the highest appraisal for it, and he would have been more than a rightful winner as well. I already liked him before. Consider me a fan now.

And... chapeau to the fog, I guess?

What. A. Stage.

webvan said:

I don't think that Valverde and Rodriguez were sure things to podium at the Giro especially with the the conditions and two time trials. Horner has always been a quality domestique and never got many opportunities except in the shorter stage races where he did well. Nibali's third place in the 2012 Tour against an unbeatable Sky and his total dominance of the Giro shows that he has improved. I still think he won't win the Tour next year but he is better than he was two years ago.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Broth3r said:
Just got home and watched the stage on my TiVo (well, Zon Box :D) after spending the day away and desperately trying - and succeeding - to avoid all possible spoilers (and also learning whiskey isn't for me. Is 12 year Ballentine's a good benchmark?). Just read through the thread and I couldn't help quoting this.

What a stage.

First of all, massive chapeau for the Portuguese riders. A reminder to everyone else: Cardoso and Mendes are the only two in the Vuelta. But what A ride. I expected (well, hoped) Cardoso to do well - see that lonely vote for him in the poll? - , but Mendes was a moderate surprise. Even then, both in the top ten in the Angliru? If anything, Elissonde's win proves a victory would have been possible. But at this point, I can't say anything other than I'm proud of them.

Massive chapeau to Elissonde as well. Yeterday, I said I thought we'd never see the day a break succeeded at the Angliru (can't really count Simoni). I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Granted, it was the perfect break: strength in numbers, climbing quality, and a decent gap at the foot. But would anyone have predicted Elissonde out of that bunch? My French doppelganger, maybe, but not many more. And at 22 he nails something most riders can't even dream of, capping off a spectacular Vuelta for France's youth. Brilliant.

And obviously, chapeau to Horner. How could I not after that ride. Certainly not spectacular - and I love a good show - , but you could hardly ask for more than that. Congrats on the ride, and congrats on the Vuelta. I'm not a particular fan of him, but I'm glad to see him win. Let me get one thing out of the way - and I know this will earn me the Clinic's eternal hate, but so be it - : I hate "normal". Every time I nail a great result with my fantasy teams, I feel... rather empty. Everything went as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary. And that's utterly, appealingly... sad. So I love a good surprise. And it goes beyond the underdog factor - hell, who doesn't suffer from that. As someone rightly says in their sig, cycling is only fun because the line between the improbable and the unattainable isn't clear - sorry if I didn't memorize your name. Andy in the '07 Giro. Horner and Elissonde today. Not breaking the standards - because it wouldn't be fun without them - but showing they're a median line, not a cage.

I don't put my hands in the fire for anyone. Not these days. But cycling wouldn't be the same for me without what you some call abnormal - in expected performance of course, not in any other factors.

But the chapeaust of all chapeaus today goes to Nibali. That was absolutely fantastic and took massive guts to pull off. You do not attack on the Angliru - that's what all vets say. But he had to, and he did. He fought to the bitter end and deserves nothing but the highest appraisal for it, and he would have been more than a rightful winner as well. I already liked him before. Consider me a fan now.

What. A. Stage.
Well said.I enjoined reading your comments. I'll buy you a drink any day. What a Tour it was! Congrats to Horner and props to Nibs for the battle. Oh... now onto the Worlds. EBH will being wearing the stripes when the day is done .

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Broth3r said:

What a stage.

What. A. Stage.

Excellent assessment of what it's like to be a fan! Chapeau. :)

webvan said:
Not sure where you got lost there...let me try to help, the competition was a lot weaker at the Giro, just look at the top 10 if you didn't follow the race.

Yeah but some of the riders like Samu also rode the Giro/ finished outside the top 10...

Also Nibali has improved if only because in 2011 he came 3rd at the Giro then failed at the Vuelta- this year first/ second :) (not directed at you, just adding to the reinforcement of Nibali).

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:
one of the best duels in cycling in the recent years. Can't recall seeing something like this since Schleck-Contador.

Well Purito-Bert last year wasn't bad either.

Fantastic fight, and a great Nibbles. I must admit that i'm not a big fan, but he put up a fantastic show. And a great Pappy, we just have to wait if it's clean, but we have to give him the credits now.

Carols said:
I am American and Do Not share your joy...........being American has nothing to do with it.

For me it everything to do with it. I always root for my fellow countrymen, I share an unbreakable bond with them. If you think I'm bad during bike racing, you should see me during the Olympics. :D

USA ALL THE WAY!

TRENDING THREADS