• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 9: Antequera → Valdepeñas de Jaén (163.7 km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think Kangert was pulling since they knew the peloton was splitted during the downhill, and they wanted to take time on those who were behind.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Frosty said:
Yeah, that occurred to me too. Maybe they thought they had enough men

i beg to differ. though I might say that EBH probably attacked a bit late. The job of positioning should have been to some other domestique. Again, today's performance by sky indicates lack of application.

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
willbick said:
seems clear to me that Moreno is no.1 for katusha in this vuelta. purito is happy to play 2nd fiddle with the tour in his legs. Moreno soft pedalled the tour to leave something left for the vuelta
i will wait to see how things goes on at hazallanas and pyrenees.
but for it looks like almost impossible to beat katusha twin head, unless purito/moreno dramatically lost they shape in few days.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
I'm absolutely sure Purito will finish better than Moreno in the GC.

he might just consider letting moreno for 1st spto, if he is in second postion. But the way j-rod operates, he almost always wants to peak in the final week of any race. i don't see any reason to believe that this is going to be different in this vuelta.

also, both valverde and purito are using a strong showing in vuelta to carry forward to WCRR.

JRanton said:
EBH's pointless attack doesn't look too clever. He should have been positioning Henao and Uran into the last climb.
Those guys are clearly not on form, Uran is an excellent descender and shouldn't have been dropped on that descent in normal circumstances.

The focus for Sky now is stage wins. Obviously EBH's attack had little chance to succeed but you never know, the peloton could have stopped up like it has on a couple of occasions earlier this vuelta.

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
why not to compare moreno to vino-2006? that man attacked all race long.
he even upseted sprinters by late attack at one flat stage there :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
did you guys see how basso was performing today?

he has already climbed back to 12th spot. a few more stages like today and he might end up in top-6.

suddenly, being born in the 70s is a good sign for this vuelta.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Perfect situation for Katusha, two man up in GC. Purito wasnt at his best, otherwise he should have beaten Piti on a finish like that.

However, tomorrow perhaps will be a different ball game. Moreno isn't that good in the high mountains, and always have a horrible day.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
meh. Vinos first week were not that strong. he needed a rest day before his rain of terror started :D

Why are ppl interested in comparing with Vino?

comparison is made among equals, not between god-level person and mere mortals.

Also, god-level ppl can decide at any moment that they are going for a win. flat or mountains don't matter much for them.

moreno is only a mere mortal, who is coming to vuelta after tour.

roundabout said:
I think Uran may have been too far back on the climb. Looked like a kind of descent where it was quite difficult to move up.

Kreuziger in full idle mode now. 193rd on the stage. Unless he crashed of course.
+1.

Still very surprised that he was cut in the second group. He and Henao have been, uncharacteristically of them, riding in the back of the peloton too much. Let's hope it is for saving energy mode. Uran has learned in the last year that it is the best way to get in top ten to podium results. He used to be more attacking rider in the first a second week. Only to fade in the third week.