• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro d'Italia, Stage 15: Valdengo-Plan Di Montecampione (225 km)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
BofVG1qIIAEB2ey.jpg

Nibbles and the boys approve. Nibali just needs to show Aru how to descend properly and Aru will become unstoppable!

Libertine Seguros said:
Anybody who wins the Giro delle Valle d'Aosta thanks to soloing in on a big mountain stage wins my fandom.

Although that particular mountaintop wasn't even in the Valle d'Aosta.

P_MP_72.jpg

The race is the equivalent of the Giro doing the first 3 days in Italy and the rest in Northern Ireland.:D
The Joux Plane a couple of years back.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:
well said. the guy is an ambassador for the sport and still gets slagged. he gives 110% every time he sits on a bike

I must say I have never really been a big fan of Evans but the way he shows that with giving your all you can show great things is almost filmish and beyond cool.

jens_attacks said:
nah he's the new ivan gotti. more his style, also long and skinny as hell
sardinian awesomeness

now let's just pray tuesday's stage won't get cancelled

also arredondo _O_ on the first ramp he attacked, loved it!

Ok then, was thinking more in the lines of dominating the giro, but probably wont do much in the tour, but that fits Gotti too :p (he did finish 5th once didn't he?)

1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 63:26:39
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:03
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:50
4 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:02:24
5 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:40
6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:42
7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:03:04
8 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:04:47
9 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:05:44
10 WoutPoels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:06:32

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes i think it is embarrasing how people keep saying hope Grandpa don't win sure that is your opinion but Evans keeps getting stick. It is not his fault he cant ride everyone of his wheel all the time he is just very consistent. This Giro looks similar to last year Evans was winning a few bonus seconds vs Nibali last year on hilly stages yet he struggled in mountains so clearly his age/recovery is a natural problem, so their should be no shame on Evans for this. He put other riders to shame though. And i never use to like Evans i did not even want Evans to win the Giro as i prefer NQ but Evans is such a good bike rider who you must respect.:D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
ok. the young guy did well.

but what all the fuss abt other riders?

Rolland did massively well. he tried an attack, when caught by others he managed to hold on. Quintana and Uran were watching each other when Aru attacked. If Rolland could have responded to Aru, he would have been second.

Duarte seemed to oscillate between massive struggle and amazing come back. he bet that Uran will close the gap, otherwise he would have been helping Quintana and rolland close the gap.

Uran seemed to measure when to respond, and when to let Quintana go ahead. Either I'm talking like a Uran fanboy, or he is just riding defensively till the MTT. 25 sec to Quintana yest, 20 sec today. His lead to Q has fallen from 3:29 after ITT to 2:40 now.

Majka and Evans are just riding as expected.

Plz give credit to Evans, the athlete. If he was the oldie who should have retired by now, then he would have finished 5+ min to Aru. Also, the new mantra is "40s is the new 20s". I bet he will be riding for GC even after 5 yrs.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hendrik said:
But is is also because Basso is still the boss in Cannondale,
same for Valverde in Movistar

You're not comparing the current results of Basso and Valverde right?:p

Were was Ulissi btw? Didn't seen him at all. Was decent on Oropa though

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Ok then, was thinking more in the lines of dominating the giro, but probably wont do much in the tour, but that fits Gotti too :p (he did finish 5th once didn't he?)

I always likend him to Simoni aswell but hey Gotti is not to bad but Simoni also never done a good TDF remember. I think it is higly unlikely Aru can ever win a TDF i no we dont even n i he can win the Giro in a few years but their is alot bigger chance imo. When was the last Italian TDF winner? It seems decade's

Edit Pantani of course

Red Rick said:
All GC contender give 110% to get as high as possible on GC, the only reason why Evans actually gets credit for this is cause he looks super ugly on a bike regardless of his actuall effort

No, because he is 37 and in the top few of every gt he races in. Who was the last person to be 2nd in a gt with 5 stages remaining at 37 or above years???

TRENDING THREADS