• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 TdF Grand Depart awarded to Yorkshire

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Cycling in Nottingham is actually an oxymoron.

Uh huh, OK. That's why there are groups going north , south, east and west every day if you want to ride. I've never ridden anywhere in the UK more immersed in biking. Guess we can thank Raleigh for that.

El Pistolero said:
That was hardly their real reason, more like maintaining the status quo on Continental Europe.

It would be much better to run the race along these battlefields. The main burial place here for soldiers of WWI in Belgium is in fact British territory and it's a beautiful area to pass by.

I wouldn't mind the Tour starting in Verdun by the way, Belgium already had a Tour start this year. They can do a quick detour to Ypres though.

You need a symbol and Yorkshire just isn't a symbol for WWI.

If you want to do an anniverssary tour 2018 would be a better option, though individually Verdun would be 2016 and Ypres 2017.

If yoyu wanted to start an WWI aniversary in 2014 you would start in Sarajevo (don't think they put a bid in though :D )

del1962 said:
If you want to do an anniverssary tour 2018 would be a better option, though individually Verdun would be 2016 and Ypres 2017.

If yoyu wanted to start an WWI aniversary in 2014 you would start in Sarajevo (don't think they put a bid in though :D )

And a breakaway merchant (Voeckler?) could shoot an Ostrich? (from Blackadder, TV series)

The only thing that stands out about world war one in 1914 for me is the xmas day armistice and that is something that i dont really want to see paid too much tribute to!

Its a serious subject though and one that i think that the tour organisation will deservedly be looking to commemorate in this and the next few tours.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
That was hardly their real reason, more like maintaining the status quo on Continental Europe.

It would be much better to run the race along these battlefields. The main burial place here for soldiers of WWI in Belgium is in fact British territory and it's a beautiful area to pass by.

I wouldn't mind the Tour starting in Verdun by the way, Belgium already had a Tour start this year. They can do a quick detour to Ypres though.

You need a symbol and Yorkshire just isn't a symbol for WWI.

Oh really, you do show your lack of knowledge of British history then. Even ignoring the fact that half the British Army is stationed in Catterick (its in North Yorkshire to save you looking) in December 1914 German warships attacked Scarborough killing 19 people, thus becoming the first civilian casualties of WWI in Britain.

In WWI and WWII (even more so in the Spanish Civil War of course) civilians, non-combatants became direct 'legitimate targets outside the battefield' in war for the first time. And these were the first. How much more symbolic would you like?

Tom375 said:
Boycott's a bit befuddled about the TDF starting in Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20734523

Controversial character but good quality on Test Match Special (cricket radio program).

Interesting hearing him talk about pressure in cricket (applies to sport generally) and how to put it in perspective. He was talking about how his dad went to work not knowing whether the mine would collapse on him, read just now that his dad was actually severely injured in a mine collapse.

wilts rover said:
Oh really, you do show your lack of knowledge of British history then. Even ignoring the fact that half the British Army is stationed in Catterick (its in North Yorkshire to save you looking) in December 1914 German warships attacked Scarborough killing 19 people, thus becoming the first civilian casualties of WWI in Britain.

In WWI and WWII (even more so in the Spanish Civil War of course) civilians, non-combatants became direct 'legitimate targets outside the battefield' in war for the first time. And these were the first. How much more symbolic would you like?

Great. Thanks for this. The race can now continue.

Frosty said:
And a breakaway merchant (Voeckler?) could shoot an Ostrich? (from Blackadder, TV series)

The only thing that stands out about world war one in 1914 for me is the xmas day armistice and that is something that i dont really want to see paid too much tribute to!

Its a serious subject though and one that i think that the tour organisation will deservedly be looking to commemorate in this and the next few tours.

Totally agree. Lets see what they come up with before having a debate.

Guys, a sensitive subject which will have its time for comment on here in due course no doubt. But for now, lets just get back the celebrating the Yorkshire start or not.

No disrespect intended just trying to avoid this thread becoming something it wasn't intended to be. Cheers.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
wilts rover said:

How about around a million people of all kinds of nationalities falling on the battlefield? And if Iepers is not symbolic then why are there so many Brits every Friday?

Ps: Ferryman, sorry will be my last post in this thread.

Living here in England im obviously delighted I can go and drive 3 hours up the road and see 2 stages of the Tour. My girlfriend loves it up there aswel so we will probably go up for a few days break.

Won't bother with the London stage, they will probably make it pan flat to get Cav a win infront of huge crowds in the capital.

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Uh huh, OK. That's why there are groups going north , south, east and west every day if you want to ride. I've never ridden anywhere in the UK more immersed in biking. Guess we can thank Raleigh for that.

+1 - it was actually a reference to Raleigh!

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Living here in England im obviously delighted I can go and drive 3 hours up the road and see 2 stages of the Tour. My girlfriend loves it up there aswel so we will probably go up for a few days break.

Won't bother with the London stage, they will probably make it pan flat to get Cav a win infront of huge crowds in the capital.
Didn't really work lat time did it?:eek:

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
It's not a trash yard, but at the same time it can be a bit bleak.

Wonder how it will look like on TV?

On the tops of moors in the winter yes, but so can anywhere, there's lots of great and beautiful places in Yorkshire, especially the Dales.

Leeds is has a nice city centre with an abundance in listed buildings and York is one of the most interesting historic cities in England.

The tour gets Alpine climbs and the plains every year, this is a bit different and will provide more interesting racing than the likes of Belgium.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Hopefully the Sheffield stage can finish off a bit like the old ToB stages to the city:

profile3.gif

That's exactly the sort of route to a Sheffield finish that I was expecting.

Leeds to Scarborough will be lumpy, but with a flat finish. Could either be a great day for an Ardennes-style attack or a Cav fest.

The completely flat stage will be reserved for London, which seems culturally appropriate somehow.

sbbefc said:
On the tops of moors in the winter yes, but so can anywhere, there's lots of great and beautiful places in Yorkshire, especially the Dales.

Leeds is has a nice city centre with an abundance in listed buildings and York is one of the most interesting historic cities in England.

The tour gets Alpine climbs and the plains every year, this is a bit different and will provide more interesting racing than the likes of Belgium.

lolwut? you do realize belgium has been providing some of the best racing in the history of cycling for over 100 years don't you?

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
lolwut? you do realize belgium has been providing some of the best racing in the history of cycling for over 100 years don't you?

Obviously. But its nice to have something different for a change.

TRENDING THREADS