• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 10: Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5 Km

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l517/TourOfSardinia/Clipboard_zps020e4878.png

It's likely that by the time we get to Paris Nibali
will be much higher in this historical classification;
Days in Yellow Jersey for an Italian
Clipboard_zps020e4878.png

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Surely Nibali has always been a forum favourite? All big name riders have their fans and their detractors, but Nibali tends to be quite popular even amongst fans who don't rate him with the likes of Contador and Froome as a GC man because he is fun.

Yes, he's not the greatest climber but I respect him for his descending and bike handling skills. If he can stay on his bike when others around him can't it's not his fault. It's also not his fault the first week's course favoured him so much. Blame Prudhomme for making courses which always give undue prominence to a particular skill, be it TTing (looking at you Wiggins) or throwing in a stage on the cobbles when certain riders can pull out huge gaps over others who can't. This is marginally less boring than watching 800km of TT but not much, but hey, ho, at least the Vuelta people know how to make a sensible course which means the big stars don't have to take huge risks to make up for time lost elsewhere.

In the end no one can predict what will happen and it's the riders themselves who are crashing anyway.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
people putting hypothetical conditions on everything is dumb :rolleyes:

the winner finishes the race in the least time

its simple

Nibali leads and totally deserves it at this stage
he was very impressive today, I dont know how you could criticize

its not over yet though

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Good luck to Nibali. You can only ride against the people in the race !. Would never take his effort away from him.

Would be disrespectful to him to speculate on what might have been.

The Blues said:
This is so unfair in every possible way...

This is bike racing. The rider has to ride his/her bike without crashing. Still two full weeks to go. It is too early to call the podium, but, we know for sure who is not in striking range.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 42:33:38
2 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:02:23
3 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:02:47
4 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:01
5 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:03:47
6 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:03:56
7 Jean-Christophe Péraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:57
8 Rui Alberto Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida 0:03:58
9 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:04:08
10 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:04:18

Porte's got to put on a show if he's going to get the top podium spot. Still two full weeks though.

To be clear, of course I want the healthiest outcome for all riders who crash. Hopefully it is down to some scrapes and bruises and that's all regardless of the rider.

gerundium said:
Lotto ds said his mechanic spotted contador on another color bike. Probably had mechanical swapped bikes with roche and then crashed taking risks to come back...

Greg Lemond speculated carbon rim brake issues may have factored into Berti's crash

updated: pothole was a cause

and Greg looking way too old and thick for his age, TDF takes its toll

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I see Gallopin managed his losses quite well today.

Hopefully the day after tomorrow or the day after that he will go in the break again and take the yellow jersey back. :)

Furthermore, I wouldn't read too much into today as far as the TDF GC will end up, except the obvious dominance by Nibali. Today the final and the penultimate climb were very short and steep, totally different from what we'll have after this.

Lupi33 said:
people putting hypothetical conditions on everything is dumb :rolleyes:

the winner finishes the race in the least time

its simple

Nibali leads and totally deserves it at this stage
he was very impressive today, I dont know how you could criticize

its not over yet though

if porte can pull back some time the TT could at least be somewhat interesting

Rollthedice said:
Come on, of course it isn't quitw like that but you have to agree that Contador would have had a hard time dropping him today. And Nibali has panache.
Why on earth would you have to agree with that? I absolutely disagree. Nibs does have panache, however.
Peig Camaro said:
Good to see horner cracking. Would be embarrasing to have him disgrace the Tour like he did the Vuelta.

He was pacing Costa and the rest of his group. He didn't really crack.

TRENDING THREADS