• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 10: Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5 Km

rghysens said:
Stage 10: Mulhouse – La Planche des Belles Filles: 161.5km, medium mountains + mountain top finish
Overview :
It says a lot about the stage design in the Alps and Pyrenees that this can be considered as the queen stage. And that for an espoir race-length stage. What ASO lacks in fantasy for the high mountains, it sure makes up in the medium mountains this year.

r86lur.jpg

snh3k2.jpg

This stage is an almost relentless sequence of climbs (OK, I may be exaggerating a bit for dramatic purposes), never very long, high or incredibly steep, but more than difficult enough to create big gaps at the end of the day. It starts with the col de Firstplan, rather a warm-up for things to come. After 45km the stage begins in earnest, with the climb of the Petit Ballon, after a narrow and twisty descent followed by the climb of the Col de Platzerwasel.

24vmelz.jpg

After that things will become easier, with wider and rather rolling roads, only to change again with 30km to go. In the town of Servance the peloton will leave the main road and take the narrow D133 to climb the short but steep Col de Chevreres, followed by the final climb towards the finish.

2nowi9.jpg

Predictions:
A break will be established in the first half of the race, but I think the teams of the favorites won’t give them much leeway. The final will be very hotly debated amongst the favorites, who will catch the break. Whoever will gain the upper hand will probably be victorious in Paris either, unless he already lost a lot of time in the first week. Froome vs. Contador, round 1.

Bastille day so a frenchman would want to win it and expect some in the break.

The Petit Ballon with an average gradient of 8.1% over 9.3 kilometres,should not be easy.

La Planche des Belles Filles
From the hamlet of Plancher-les-Mines the road kicks up and the climb begins. According to legend, in 1635, the same road led a group of young women away from their aggressors, a bunch of Nordic mercenaries. Rather than face being abused or murdered, they chose to jump from a high cliff into one of the mountain lakes and drowned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REDeSh5LoU

and of course Peter Sagan doing a wheelie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onamrs8jx2I

No poll here but feel free to talk about what colours of panties/undies you like in your partner/wife/bf/gf.

fight.the.power. idea

The thread was only titled this:

"Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles"

Believe it or not there is a reason why the threads are named: year race, stage: from here to there

It makes searching for them extremely easy as you only have to type the year and the race for all stages to show up by order on the search tool. It also clearly puts them apart from normal discussion which is helpful for new posters that don't really know where to go discuss races.

Obviously Zam didn't break any rule, but the least he could do is show some common courtesy and put the right tittle instead of that half assed attempt.

Parrulo said:
The thread was only titled this:

"Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles"

Believe it or not there is a reason why the threads are named: year race, stage: from here to there

It makes searching for them extremely easy as you only have to type the year and the race for all stages to show up by order on the search tool. It also clearly puts them apart from normal discussion which is helpful for new posters that don't really know where to go discuss races.

Obviously Zam didn't break any rule, but the least he could do is show some common courtesy and put the right tittle instead of that half assed attempt.

Are you saying he was deliberately lazy? :confused:

He is half Italian half Indian, what were you expecting:p

Anyway i think Contador will gain time on Nibali here but i don't think there will be attacks before the last couple k's of the climb. And since there is no 2012 type of Sky i think we will only really see who is good or not once Contador goes because no one will have the balls to go before.

TRENDING THREADS