• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 16: Carcassonne–Bagnères-de-Luchon (237.5 Km)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carols said:
Nibali has been either making the Move or on the Right Move since day 1 of this race. He is an unstoppable force!!! My only concern is Astana in the next 2 days. They have been exposed and Movistar will try again.
I'm not sure about Valverde and Movistar. Today was his best chance to gain on rivals. I still think he won't podium.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
7th place in his first Tour de France end secong GT, that's a dream for König. And if not for the stupid losses because of team, he could even higher. But nervermind, this is great. I think he gets some nice offers for next season. :)

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
kingjr said:
It's no shame to be put on your limit by Pinot, he's a damn good climber.

Maybe he was struggling to follow him, but it's the equivalent of being overtaken in the swim leg by a swimmer in a triathlon who can't cycle or run. Do you push yourself hard to follow, or do you realize you'll exert a fraction of the energy to overtake him in the next leg?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Kokoso said:
7th place in his first Tour de France end secong GT, that's a dream for König. And if not for the stupid losses because of team, he could even higher. But nervermind, this is great. I think he gets some nice offers for next season. :)
Do you have a calculation how much did he lose?;) (excluding mighty Stage 5)

yespatterns said:
Serpa looks 1977 gangsta

Or Clark Gable.

clark_gable_jewelry_collection.jpg

Kokoso said:

Konig was really good today. Especially in that descend. All alone closing a gap on that group while Movistar was riding... impressive.

A classy design of the post rest day stage. Long, mountainous... A downhill finish will forgive you a minor rhythm loss, but nothing more than that. And many of riders suffered from the racing interruption.
Now, the rest of the race will be determined on the strength.

Rogers really was the logical choice for the stage victory.
Not that he's the strongest climber or descender, but that he can cope the stage difficulties the best.
Nice victory.

whittashau said:
Maybe he was struggling to follow him, but it's the equivalent of being overtaken in the swim leg by a swimmer in a triathlon who can't cycle or run. Do you push yourself hard to follow, or do you realize you'll exert a fraction of the energy to overtake him in the next leg?

It just shows that he can be hurt and maybe gapped in the mountains, by someone who is not called Froome or Contador. No more, no less.

Dazed and Confused said:
Great stage. Man, I love descent stages.

And Rogers used his skills to outwit the Europcar duo. A memorable win for him.

Some serious damage control by lots of GC contenders.

Looking forward to the next stage already.

More like the Europcars outwitted themselves.

But hey, better Mick then them.

And I say that as someone who likes Gautier. But after his brainless moment I kinda hoped anyone else would win.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
kingjr said:
It just shows that he can be hurt and maybe gapped in the mountains, by someone who is not called Froome or Contador. No more, no less.

You're being overly presumptuous. You're talking about a rider who is going flat out in order to give himself leeway for his hugely publicized weakness, and a rider who has no rationale reason to follow a huge dig at the top as he knows there is literally almost no way Pinot will stay away

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Nibbles in full control, but Unzue didn't sound overly confident in that post stage interview... Or maybe he was just downplaying their chances. His answers to the Quintana questions were a bit lame.

roundabout said:
More like the Europcars outwitted themselves.

But hey, better Mick then them.

And I say that as someone who likes Gautier. But after his brainless moment I kinda hoped anyone else would win.

The small games on the descent. Discussion.
Tactical mistakes, personal ambition getting in the way of team glory etc.
Others taking advantage.

Great stuff.

(not a fan of perfection in sports)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
yespatterns said:
Nibbles in full control, but Unzue didn't sound overly confident in that post stage interview... Or maybe he was just downplaying their chances. His answers to the Quintana questions were a bit lame.

for sure AV did not look particularly good even compared to his own teammate

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Konig was really good today. Especially in that descend. All alone closing a gap on that group while Movistar was riding... impressive.

I think there was smaller gap on the top than you think. Agree, impressive descending.

Kokoso said:
I think there was smaller gap on the top than you think. Agree, impressive descending.

No. Ten Dam said in a post race interview he was with Konig and Zubeldia at the top. And he knew they were a minute behind. Race reported that also.
So König closed a minute.

Ten Dam said he was screwed when Zubeldia punctured on a rock in the descend. Ten Dam had to brake, König was away and had cars and motors in front. Ten Dam had nothing in front anymore so had to brake on feeling rather then the lights of motards/cars (which he usually does) ;)

whittashau said:
You're being overly presumptuous. You're talking about a rider who is going flat out in order to give himself leeway for his hugely publicized weakness, and a rider who has no rationale reason to follow a huge dig at the top as he knows there is literally almost no way Pinot will stay away

There is also no reason not to follow.

TRENDING THREADS