• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 16: Carcassonne–Bagnères-de-Luchon (237.5 Km)

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
kingjr said:
There is also no reason not to follow.

Well, I disagree. I saw no reason for him to follow given how much Pinot was pushing as VN would not have benefited from doing so.

I'm not questioning whether it was hard for VN to follow, I'm questioning whether VN at that point decided there was no point in putting the effort into following.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Ouch. Tejay and Bardet got strangled on today's climb.

Although Pinot looked like he was the rider with the most energy, I would not be surprised if Nibali will become the youngest man on the podium.

JCP did really good today.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Valverde has nothing on Nibali and everyone knows it.

The battle is now for the minor placings. Nibali has proven superior in every way at this Tour.

Oh, and Geraint Thomas is now ahead of Porte on GC.

should go with plan g at the first place

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No. Ten Dam said in a post race interview he was with Konig and Zubeldia at the top. And he knew they were a minute behind. Race reported that also.
So König closed a minute.

No, he was 30 or 40 seconds behind on the top.

SafeBet said:
This must've been one heck of a stage, and I missed it :(
I hoped Bardet could stay with Pinot but Thibaut is clearly the better climber. Nice to see him with a good shot at the podium. FdJ needs to crack Peraud though.
I'm expecting Bardet to rebound in the next couple stages. Him and Van Garderen were shocked by the 2nd-rest-day syndrome. Expecting Valverde to fade away out of the podium.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Poor Jeanneson. Did so much for Pinot today, even deep in the finale. And then there are people wishing Pinot had a better team... :eek:

what race did they watch?

Dude the problem is that he has only Jeannesson. He can't ask Jeannesson to go full gas on Val Louron because he needs him at the bottom of pla d'Adet. But noone else on his team can do that so it means Pinot can only try to accelerate on the last climb, whereas if he had a Cherel or a Gastauer, he could already put some hurt on his rivals in Val Louron and attack tired rivals in Pla d'Adet, not rested ones. Makes some difference.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Czapiewski said:
Pinot lacked help today? Are we living the same world?

No one is saying that, what we are saying is that although based on his form and that of his rivals it would be the right decision for his team to take over the race and make it as hard as possible before pla d'Adet, it doesn't have the personnel to deliver that, and that's a shame.

veji11 said:
Dude the problem is that he has only Jeannesson. He can't ask Jeannesson to go full gas on Val Louron because he needs him at the bottom of pla d'Adet. But noone else on his team can do that so it means Pinot can only try to accelerate on the last climb, whereas if he had a Cherel or a Gastauer, he could already put some hurt on his rivals in Val Louron and attack tired rivals in Pla d'Adet, not rested ones. Makes some difference.
They didn't come to win the Tour, so his time is just fine. They do not have to drive the Peloton. So if he has at least one of the better climbers to his side in the last climb, that would be enough. Besides, tomorrows' last climb is short and steep. So he is the one that needs to be top notch if he wants to drop his AG2R compatriots.

Geraint Too Fast said:
The TV director shows all the GC riders crossing the line, apart from Zubeldia. :D

I was lucky to make a sighting from afar :eek: just after Schleck got dropped, but he even finished alone and unseen. The guy is truly a ninja.

Kwiatek, on the other hand, has the ability to disappear early on a climb, but then appear at the finish out of nowhere.

Well, I'm quite pleased to have predicted the stage reasonably accurately. FDJ were stronger than I expected and it was great to see Pinot protect his gains. He really has a shot at the podium now.

Europcar had the numbers, but Rogers was classy.

Gautier has clearly been taking lessons in gurning from the master.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see Pinot ride down hill so well. His training to overcome that fear must have worked. Good to see his team take care of him on the descent.
Excellent tactic to get Roy on the break and then help on the descent.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Pinot is right where he needs to be, though, yes, another helper would be optimal. Any of the big guns can have a bad day, so maintaining position, while not exciting, is probably for the best. Nibbles would have to have a *really* bad day to come into reach for anyone. in any event (even though he's in my fantasy team) i hope piti falls off the podium.

roundabout said:
More like the Europcars outwitted themselves.

But hey, better Mick then them.

And I say that as someone who likes Gautier. But after his brainless moment I kinda hoped anyone else would win.

Yes, he seemed a little asleep and accelerated way too late to catch Rogers' wheel as he came by that last time. Of course, easy to say....(Is that what you're talking about?)

biokemguy said:
Glad to see Pinot ride down hill so well. His training to overcome that fear must have worked. Good to see his team take care of him on the descent.
Excellent tactic to get Roy on the break and then help on the descent.

Pinot is doing much better than last year downhill, but today, König made up a minute on Pinot's group in the downhill...

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
veji11 said:
No one is saying that, what we are saying is that although based on his form and that of his rivals it would be the right decision for his team to take over the race and make it as hard as possible before pla d'Adet, it doesn't have the personnel to deliver that, and that's a shame.

Exactly what I meant.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
I was lucky to make a sighting from afar :eek: just after Schleck got dropped, but he even finished alone and unseen. The guy is truly a ninja.

Kwiatek, on the other hand, has the ability to disappear early on a climb, but then appear at the finish out of nowhere.

Well, I'm quite pleased to have predicted the stage reasonably accurately. FDJ were stronger than I expected and it was great to see Pinot protect his gains. He really has a shot at the podium now.

Europcar had the numbers, but Rogers was classy.

Gautier has clearly been taking lessons in gurning from the master.

You saw Zubeldia? What does he look like?

TRENDING THREADS