• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 6: Arras–Reim (194km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MartinGT said:
You're not wrong. I thought he was coming into this with a little bit of form. Seems that Lotto get in the mix for the trains, then final 1km he goes backwards :(

Honestly, I think he's probably as quick as Kittel, or maybe just a little bit slower. As soon as he senses any danger though it's power off and pull out of there and he gets beaten or doesn't even start his sprint. For a big guy he always seems to get muscled out of everything. It's a shame really, seeing Greipel, Cav and Kittel in a drag race on the Champs would be awesome :cool:

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
so the best of them is Pineau at 22minutes

I think Astana will struggle to give away yellow today, but I do expect them to take it as easy as they possibly can

King Boonen said:
After yesterday Nibali is probably equal with Contador. Realistically I can't see anyone matching those two now. I'd love Kwiatkowski to do it though.

Really? I can see several GC riders who are certainly capable of matching nibali on the climbs, and possibly contador too. These guys arent machines, they can all have bad days or have problems. A lot can happen in this race yet

willbick said:
Really? I can see several GC riders who are certainly capable of matching nibali on the climbs, and possibly contador too. These guys arent machines, they can all have bad days or have problems. A lot can happen in this race yet

Who? I should have maybe been more clear. I don't think those two will be riding off into the sunset, I'm sure some guys will still with them in the mountains, but I can't see anyone capable of leaving them behind to gain enough time to seriously challenge them.

Zam_Olyas said:
THree people who have won a stage that finish in Reim has gone on to win the green jersey in Paris... tashkent terror -91, robbie mcewen -02 and 2010 ale-jet.

And my favourite sprint finish ever was in Reims (1985 I think). Kelly and Vanderaerden had a boxing match all the way down the straight and still finished ahead of Castaing.

Of course they were both DQed so the Frenchman could win :p

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I hope their is a chance of echelons. The wind is predicted at a strenght of 4, and Kittel said the wind perhaps going to make it interesting.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:

I can definately see other GC rider matching Nibali (but they also have to do more than match him - they need to take time). However, I doubt that anyone will be able to match Contador (maybe on a few steges where there is headwin on the climb or other factors that play in)

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Giant have been doing it since they started, it's a great tactic purely because no-one else has changed theirs. Can't blame them for it but it has taken sprinting back to the days of HTC. I love to see the best sprinter win, but it's good when they are really pushed.

At least HTC used to have 1 or 2 men up front all day and then start to wind up from 20-15km out not like OGE and Giant who just appear with 4km to go.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Honestly, I think he's probably as quick as Kittel, or maybe just a little bit slower. As soon as he senses any danger though it's power off and pull out of there and he gets beaten or doesn't even start his sprint. For a big guy he always seems to get muscled out of everything. It's a shame really, seeing Greipel, Cav and Kittel in a drag race on the Champs would be awesome :cool:

Greipel's DS said after his crash in the spring he seems to have lost his nerve and so ends up backing out when things get dodgy