• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Giro d'Italia, St. 8: Fiuggi – Campitello Matese 186 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia, St. 8: Fiuggi – Campitello Matese 18

Taxus4a said:
Very special day for me becouse I treated a lot with Intxausti in Vuelta 2010, Landa is almost a friend, Rigo is the rider I have follow more since he started, and I am happy as well to see Contador with any problem. Amador as well is a friend of a friend, so... what can I say:

W IL GIRO.

Thank you riders for this day

10610484_10152638022638839_5578357713983549131_n.jpg

I would like to explain why Landa did that, but I cant. Maybe the future will talk. Anyway he will lose a lot in the ITT, he is not good in the plain at all.
is it from last year's Burgos? ;)

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
JRanton said:
maltiv said:
Contador looked like he was suffering like a dog.

His rivals will regret missing this opportunity.

They tried to attack and Contador responded. Not sure what else they were supposed to do?
Well, they mostly paced him. I don't think Sky should've chased after Landa. It's important to force Contador to chase. Then if they all stand still, they can trade attacks.

Porte isn't explosive enough to drop top climbers from a standing start.

Aru isn't at 100% either. He said his peak will come for the final part of the Giro. Same as with Contador. Aru actually had a little gap on Contador after his first acceleration. He seemed to miss some power to really kick through, tough. Basically the idiot is Porte for closing the gap. He should've let Contador chase. Porte seems to rely 100% on the time trail. Very intelligent of course when you're pretty much in top-shape already and you're main opponents peak for the final mountain stages and are better climbers.

Landa. It make no sense to me. He coast Aru the jersey. Maybe Martinelli wants to do something similar like Cunego versus Popovych with Landa and Contador?

Arredondo said:
Rollthedice said:
Alexandre B. said:
Landa is at Contador - Porte level and Cataldo is not far behind. I'm surprised, to say the least.

I would say the other way around. Contador has to step up his game if he wants to have a chance with Froome, Nibs and Nairito.

Froome and Nairito didn't convice me really in the spring too.

It matters when it counts. Everybody is in awe at what a strong team Astana is but I'm pretty sure the guys at Le Tour will be the real deal for Vino's team. Fact is neither Aru or Porte and even less Uran are representative for what Bertie will face in Le Tour. Contador is either taking it easy or he's not yet on his A game. The shoulder problem of course might be one of the problems.

JRanton said:
sir fly said:
Astana has huge advantage in numbers, but couldn't utilize it fully today.
Sky really lacks a sense for racing. Should Richie has been little less enthusiastic and if Astana has lined its numbers differently - they all could have gained some time on Contador.

What? How do you work that out?

You're all buying the BS about Contador being injured when he evidently isn't. He's fine.
I'm not buying the BS.
I'm saying that no one should close the gaps instead of the Pink jersey.
And that Land should have been "1" in Astana's 1-2 move.
Please, read more than one comment if you wish to respond.

Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
Bit of an odd stage with the GC guys with Caruso and Cunego finishing 10sec down from the maglia rosa group. As well as Quran and Cataldo riding well. At the moment I can't see Porte or Aru attacking and staying away, the 2 MTF they haven't convinced me, then again neither has Contador, his attack on stage 5 was the best so far of the GC men, but still wasn't good enough to stay away.

I'm beginning to think the time-trial is going to be the decider, this favours Porte and Uran, but with a 60km TT who knows.

Cunego is one of the favourites of this Giro...he has the ITT againt him, and not a big team, but he is not so bad in a long TT with some small climbs.

Caruso was a primising rider and now is a reallity.

Will be surprising see him at the end, the same that will be not suroprising to see Cunego and Hesjedal at the end.

Respect the favorurites, despite contador crash we have seen the same that first day, except he didnt attack, and that as he advide, rigo has put his cold off and he is ready to fight for the Rigo.

With so many big domestiques: Nieve, Koning, Cataldo, landa, it is difficult to attack

I hope in the big stages will be only Nieve and Landa, but Landa with time losed by ITT, but this year the mountains stages are not so hard.

Uran has a problem to win this Giro, he has not team.., and that would be a problem if he get the pink, must take it in Sastrieres. At least today David de la Cruz was with him in a small group till Aru attack, and Vakoc did a good job before the climb.

He must take advantage of others or to buy someone.

Tomorrow is a really hard stage, but not big mountain. Anyway could be big diferences or a breakaway with important people.

Rollthedice said:
Arredondo said:
Rollthedice said:
Alexandre B. said:
Landa is at Contador - Porte level and Cataldo is not far behind. I'm surprised, to say the least.

I would say the other way around. Contador has to step up his game if he wants to have a chance with Froome, Nibs and Nairito.

Froome and Nairito didn't convice me really in the spring too.

It matters when it counts. Everybody is in awe at what a strong team Astana is but I'm pretty sure the guys at Le Tour will be the real deal for Vino's team. Fact is neither Aru or Porte and even less Uran are representative for what Bertie will face in Le Tour. Contador is either taking it easy or he's not yet on his A game. The shoulder problem of course might be one of the problems.
Alberto should not be at his best yet :) by the way we know a top shape Richie is very close to Froome

The_Cheech said:
Taxus4a said:
Very special day for me becouse I treated a lot with Intxausti in Vuelta 2010, Landa is almost a friend, Rigo is the rider I have follow more since he started, and I am happy as well to see Contador with any problem. Amador as well is a friend of a friend, so... what can I say:

W IL GIRO.

Thank you riders for this day

10610484_10152638022638839_5578357713983549131_n.jpg

I would like to explain why Landa did that, but I cant. Maybe the future will talk. Anyway he will lose a lot in the ITT, he is not good in the plain at all.

That dude to the right needs to get his teeth fixed.

Either that or don´t smile.

I dont remember why we laught, but I dont use to show my teeth in pictures. Now are just fixed, than you, have take one year and a lot of money, but it for health reasons, not for pictures. ;)

Anyway I like that picture, the pity Landa finally couldnt beat Quintana that day.

(yes, it is from Burgos, my land, Ilovecycling ;) ) By the way, Landa studied enginering in Burgos.

sir fly said:
JRanton said:
sir fly said:
Sky really lacks a sense for racing. Should Richie has been little less enthusiastic and if Astana has lined its numbers differently - they all could have gained some time on Contador.

You're all buying the BS about Contador being injured when he evidently isn't. He's fine.
I'm not buying the BS.

Meh. Kreuziger wasn't that far back. If Sky don't work then he comes up and sets tempo. You said they all could have gained time on Contador which is BS.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Aru isn't at 100% either. He said his peak will come for the final part of the Giro. Same as with Contador. Aru actually had a little gap on Contador after his first acceleration. He seemed to miss some power to really kick through, tough. Basically the idiot is Porte for closing the gap. He should've let Contador chase. Porte seems to rely 100% on the time trail. Very intelligent of course when you're pretty much in top-shape already and you're main opponents peak for the final mountain stages and are better climbers.

Landa. It make no sense to me. He coast Aru the jersey. Maybe Martinelli wants to do something similar like Cunego versus Popovych with Landa and Contador?
Good luck doing that with Landa in a GT with a 60km TT, if they want to do something like that Cataldo should go in the breakaway tomorrow or try a long range attack.

phil-i-am said:
No_Balls said:
Inquitus said:
Contador will struggle in the TT if he really dislocated his shoulder, disappointing stage today, but I think all 3 favourites are on a very even keel.

Absolutely not. He will be fine by then.

Guys, wake up! He's fine just now. He's on the same level he was riding up Abatone.

Guys? Just follow my post record and i have been in the right all along.

Big winner today - Uran. Given that he is the strongest tt-er of the GC men and clearly on an upward curve form-wise, he is back in the game.
Big loser today - Porte. Given their respective build-ups to the Giro, he should be closest to his best form compared to other main contenders. Aru, Contador and Uran should all get significantly better as the Giro goes on, but can't say the same about Porte. He needs a moster TT and even that might not be enough. Having said that I'm very far from writing him off.
Contador passed the test, but tomorrow might well be far more difficult.
Aru has a lot of improvement left for the remainder of this Giro, but to beat Contador in a GT you need to be head and shoulders better than him. Aru obviously isn't yet.

JRanton said:
sir fly said:
JRanton said:
sir fly said:

I'm not buying the BS.

Meh. Kreuziger wasn't that far back. If Sky don't work then he comes up and sets tempo. You said they all could have gained time on Contador which is BS.
It's not a BS, it's just beyond the borders of your mind.

sir fly said:
JRanton said:
sir fly said:
JRanton said:
sir fly said:

I'm not buying the BS.

It's not a BS, it's just beyond the borders of your mind.

I see. You must have missed the fact that Contador was able to respond to attacks from both Aru and Porte. Please tell us how they could have taken time from him.

Re:

staubsauger said:

Huh? Alberto closed the gap with Aru/Landa himself, and then Porte with Uran in his wheel got back.

LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

Huh? Alberto closed the gap with Aru/Landa himself, and then Porte with Uran in his wheel got back.

He seemed in control, but did not accelerate as sharply as normal. Maybe he did not want to tug/pull (don't know the english phrase) as hard on the handlebars.

T-Nielsen said:
LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:

He seemed in control, but did not accelerate as sharply as normal. Maybe he did not want to tug/pull (don't know the english phrase) as hard on the handlebars.
Yep, & I think you are spot on
But staubsauger said Porte closed the gap for Contador :confused:

Re:

staubsauger said:
Basically the idiot is Porte for closing the gap. He should've let Contador chase.

This sounds to me sooo much like an armchair cyclist comment! I feel you never raced in a peloton with accelerations left-and-right...

If you are on the wheel of a guy accelerating, it is so much easier to respond. That is what Porte did. If he left a gap while being on the wheel of Aru, it would have been much more difficult to wait for Contador to respond, and try to follow that wheel.
If you are not on the wheel like Contador, you never force it while there are still others better positioned to close the gap. It's only when nobody is willing to go full, that you are forced to close the gap, preferably alone or with a reduced bunch, and that would hurt Porte as much as Contador.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Really don't see anyone beating Contador ....unless Astana try something very far out and destroy the peloton ...could mean losing their top 10 places for Landa & Cataldo

As for Porte being near Froome...no way..Richie Porte is quoted as saying that when in form Froome is miles ahead of him

In one week and in some kind of climbs Porte can do similar, in some ITT as well, but yes, Froome is better. Even Uran was usually the last domestique to help Froome after Porte. About 3 weeks, we will se how can Porte managed in this Giro. He is about to do a great ITT and with his strong team hold the difference in the last week. And it looks possible. Porte could put 3 minutes on Aru in the ITT, not sure, but he could. With Contador is difficult to say. Annyway, did Porte anytime a so long ITT? Contador the same, but he did about 55 i think...

What we know is that Uran was the best last year in the ITT (it was harders and shortter), and he was second on La Vuelta, and we know in the last mountain stage he was one of the best, last year in Zoncolan and the year before in Tre cime in the snow (cold is bad for him anyway) and he won a mountain stage, so he is going to be strong in both of them. the rest we dont know