• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Giro d'Italia Stage 18: Melide > Verbania 170km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
eaa5a1661d837268ca822598f474b53c.589x358x1.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

el_angliru said:
Escarabajo said:
He is right, but what about the "is not over yet" part that he said?

Hello Landa, you did follow wheels on the Movistar train most of the way. You could have cut the difference like Contador did and you didn't. So if you were weak it is over my friend. In fact long time ago it was over.
I think it's interesting that Landa admitted that Astana's move on stage 16 was somewhat 'controversial'. I'm not sure he actually believes they can defeat Contador but Landa said in another interview before today's stage that their intent was to make this Giro so hard for Alberto that he [Contador] couldn't possibly be any threat to Nibali in the Tour!
I already thought about that, that would explain Astana going full gas on every stage Martinelli never really believed that they would beat Cotador at the Giro, before the season started he said that if he had 2 wishes it would be winning the Tour again with Nibali and winning the Vuelta with Aru, their goal at the Giro was getting a podium spot and wearing Contador out for Nibali.

Taxus4a said:
Metabolol said:
Taxus4a said:
This day remember me when Contador drop Andy in the alps, and with Samu descent and was really strong... next day was a hard stage with Agnello, Izoard and Galibier, Andy put on him almost 4 minutes, with all the valley with strong headwind...so it could have been 6 minutes.

But Andy was unleashed, and his brother was there for him...Now, his team, is not with him and Landa is not unleashed...
You cant win if your team dont want your victory, as simple as that, and Landa now, with the problems of Porte and Uran and with Hesjedal and Crispis far away in the general, is the only enemy of Alberto.

Maybe Landa has been a bit stronger than Contador in pure climbing but I would argue that he has benefited much more from his team than he has lost by them holding him back (which was correct in the beginning because Aru was the team leader).

it is true, in other team he now maybe wont be podium...or maybe he crashed and he was anonimous again... but now they have the oportinity to win and thay mmust playu to win.. I dont mind if Landa finish second, 4th or 20 th, I just want to play to win...and no Vino saying: you are not allowed to race any other GT if you dont sign again with us...
Contador lost by 6:27 to a rampaging Froome when he was weak. Astana tried to put him in difficulty number of times but couldn't. Landa is not Froome. Astana know this and therefore winning the Giro is only going to happen if Contador crashes. In the meantime they want 2 & 3 in Giro plus make sure Contador goes to TDF drained. If Landa goes on the attack, he wont win but Aru will surely lose 3rd.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
This day remember me when Contador drop Andy in the alps, and with Samu descent and was really strong... next day was a hard stage with Agnello, Izoard and Galibier, Andy put on him almost 4 minutes, with all the valley with strong headwind...so it could have been 6 minutes.

But Andy was unleashed, and his brother was there for him...Now, his team, is not with him and Landa is not unleashed...
You cant win if your team dont want your victory, as simple as that, and Landa now, with the problems of Porte and Uran and with Hesjedal and Crispis far away in the general, is the only enemy of Alberto.

WTF?! Chaingate and Andy on Galibier were two different years. So what you are saying is, Landa can easiy win back the 5 minute deficit, he just have to wait until next year to do it. :D

el_angliru said:
Escarabajo said:

Hello Landa, you did follow wheels on the Movistar train most of the way. You could have cut the difference like Contador did and you didn't. So if you were weak it is over my friend. In fact long time ago it was over.
I think it's interesting that Landa admitted that Astana's move on stage 16 was somewhat 'controversial'. I'm not sure he actually believes they can defeat Contador but Landa said in another interview before today's stage that their intent was to make this Giro so hard for Alberto that he [Contador] couldn't possibly be any threat to Nibali in the Tour!
It's about Pantani! Martinelli gives a *** on Nibali, Aru and Landa right now. It's all about protecting the pirate's legacy!

Nibali has less chances to defeat Contador than Aru had prior to this Giro. Beppe knows it. It's all to make him miss the double!

staubsauger said:
el_angliru said:
Escarabajo said:

It's about Pantani! Martinelli gives a **** on Nibali, Aru and Landa right now. It's all about protecting the pirate's legacy!

Nibali has less chances to defeat Contador than Aru had prior to this Giro. Beppe knows it. It's all to make him miss the double!

Oh wow, never thought of that. Marco and Martinelli had an almost father/son relationship. If Alberto does the double it will no longer be 'The last time the double was done was 1998 by Marco Pantani'. Food for thought.

Red Rick said:
Contador and Landa seem to have a similar level, so I doubt one will drop the other tomorrow. Contador has won this race barring meteorite storms, for which, if there ever was a moment for meteorite storms during a bike race, the moment is now

What is the over under on the number of Meteors striking in the next three stages? If the odds are sufficient, I will place a small wager on the over.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What is this about Landa putting 40 seconds into Contador in the first 3km of the climb. For real? That's when Contador was seemingly going strong.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
What is this about Landa putting 40 seconds into Contador in the first 3km of the climb. For real? That's when Contador was seemingly going strong.
People still believe that the GPS really shows the actual gaps.

What an absolute wonderful day of cycling in many aspects. This Giro just gets better day by day. And Contador.. The guy is simply a living legend, I don't think there's much else to say. Also enormous amounts of respect to Hesjedal, what an effort he has put into this Giro. Too bad he won't finish on the podium, he deserves it.

W il Giro
W Contador

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

IamIronMan said:
@Taxus

Ryder is stronger climber than Contador, and 5' is still not enough time for Contador if Landa attacks?! Wow, your analysis gets worse and worse the more you post!!!

Read his blog about Froome then you'll get it :D

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Contador did his revenge today and it was sweet :)
He is more than 5 minutes ahead now.

We saw Landa wheelsucking in his group today. He probably was told to save his energy for tomorrow. Giro this year has given us the best cycling almost ever! Look forward to tomorrow - Landa will try his best and Contador will not let him get anything if he can - and contador wants to win tomorrow - so epic cycling again again....

I bet that Froome is kind of nervous just now - glued to the screen of this epic Giro. Soothing to his nerves is last time Contador won giro with 6-7 mins, and he was not in best form for tour de france. But what about this year?? It is not easy to forecast.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
leon993 said:
Contador did his revenge today and it was sweet :)
He is more than 5 minutes ahead now.

We saw Landa wheelsucking in his group today. He probably was told to save his energy for tomorrow. Giro this year has given us the best cycling almost ever! Look forward to tomorrow - Landa will try his best and Contador will not let him get anything if he can - and contador wants to win tomorrow - so epic cycling again again....

I bet that Froome is kind of nervous just now - glued to the screen of this epic Giro. Soothing to his nerves is last time Contador won giro with 6-7 mins, and he was not in best form for tour de france. But what about this year?? It is not easy to forecast.

Last time Contador 'won' the Giro he had a huge cloud hanging over him and he got injured/took a headbutt from Karpets/got caught behind a crash in one of the early TdF stages.

I still think the double is a bridge too far, but at least he has the balls to go for it.

fantomas said:
Taxus4a said:

WTF?! Chaingate and Andy on Galibier were two different years. So what you are saying is, Landa can easiy win back the 5 minute deficit, he just have to wait until next year to do it. :D

i cant look better for the results becouse Contador was discualifield, but this is not the year of the cahingate, but the year than evans won Le Tour. Alverto did some gret stages in the alps, everyvory expected him in Galibier, and was andy who put to him 4 minutes.. and of course tomorrow Landa could do it.

Wow Bertie's really on fire ! When is the last time we saw a GC leader attack like that ? Hinault in 1986 ? And that didn't work out too well for him on the way up to Luz Ardiden...

I missed the live coverage and although I've watched the partial Eurosport replay on steephill I'm still not clear on what happened with Landa exactly? He had been delayed by a crash when Bertie attacked but Aru was with him apparently at that time. At what point did Landa catch the Aru group ? They never showed the gap to the Aru group, only to Landa. Thanks !

EDIT - Ah ok, just caught it, he made it back (alone...) to Aru at 38.5km to go (for the breakaway)

JRanton said:
Hesjedal stronger than Contador today. Landa would have dropped him too had it not been for his crash.

Weakest GT winner in some time.

Bertie has a problematic record in this regard: 2007 TdF (Chicken, Vino); 2008 Giro (Ricco); 2010 TdF (Schleck);
2012 Vuelta (Rodriguez).

Moreover, 2009 Tour was a ridiculous imbalance in team strength, and for all we know Nibali and Wiggins were the strongest individually. 2014 Vuelta was against an injured Froome and Quintana crashed out, while Valverde had ridden the Tour and worked as domestique for Quintana the first week of that Vuelta.

2011 Giro was exceptional. I can't speak to that.
That leaves 2008 Vuelta, but even Cobo and Horner have won that race, so eh.

/ :p