• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 predictions

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Netserk said:
So I have four months to find the perfect avatar to you :p

Yes, if he doesn't change plans.

It's not like either of us could have known anything about it anyway, you were lucky and called it correctly.

I guess I should have stuck to my initial plan (ie never do an avatar bet unless you are surely going to win) but you pestered me into it :rolleyes:

Hope you're proud.

I still think it is not a smart move, he needs races to get into shape. 6 weeks between the end of Catalunya and the start of il Giro is too long. He'll be out of shape and suffer at the Giro, and won't stand a chance at the Tour.
Plus he should defend his title.

LaFlorecita said:
Just found this gem.

While a couple posts earlier Netserk posted "he'll only ride 1 or 2 of those races" :p
And both were true. ;)

I was quite certain he wouldn't ride all three, and I didn't think it was likely that he would only ride one (but it could happen, like in 2011, but as I said, I didn't think that would happen). No contradiction.

LaFlorecita said:
In the first post you posted that you thought he'd ride one OR two of those races. In the second post you posted that you never thought he'd ride only one.
I wrote two or one, not one or two, which actually does make a difference ;)

I found both possible (but I didn't think all three would be a possible scenario), but I thought he would do two and not just one.

Contador will either go full gas at the Giro riding like in 2011, making huge gaps etc and then a lot of rest to get back into shape at the Tour.

OR he will arrive at the Giro with avarge shape, will try to improve during the race and win with minimal cost and keep the form high until the end of Tour.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Wallenquist said:
Contador will either go full gas at the Giro riding like in 2011, making huge gaps etc and then a lot of rest to get back into shape at the Tour.

OR he will arrive at the Giro with avarge shape, will try to improve during the race and win with minimal cost and keep the form high until the end of Tour.

Use the TT and 1 mountain stage to secure the win. Then ride the last week of the Giro where all the difficult stages are.. in an economical way.
If you ride most of the mountain stages without going in the red - at 85% or similar - you can save a lot of energy. Then recover and be fresh at the Tour where he just has to find the race rhytm in the first week.

Wallenquist said:

I guess it will depend on who is going to turn up. Most likely it will be a weaker field, as the rest of the main 4 will skip the Giro, leaving his main opposition to be riders like Aru, Pozzovivo, Uran and Hesjedal. Good riders, but not likely to push him into the red.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Jspear said:
I would like to see Wiggo defend his title (I'd like to see anyone beat Martin really), but I think it is pretty much set in stone that he will not be defending his title.

The most likely way to stop Martin is if he loses interest. He's had a taste of sweet victory in breakaway stages now and it wouldn't stun me if he wanted more of that.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Only spring classics:
MSR - Peter Sagan
GW - Alexander Kristoff
RVV - Zdenek Stybar
PR - Sep Vanmarcke
AGR - Michal Kwiatkowski
FW - Joaquim Rodriguez
LBL - Alejandro Valverde