• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Rugby World Cup

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lancaster re-jigs his midfield ahead of the Wales match.

In the single most radical upheaval of Stuart Lancaster's time in charge, England have ripped up their midfield for the crucial World Cup pool match against Wales.

George Ford has been dropped for Owen Farrell, Sam Burgess will start at second five-eighths and Brad Barritt has been switched to centre in place of the injured Jonathan Joseph.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11517959

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Lancaster re-jigs his midfield ahead of the Wales match.

In the single most radical upheaval of Stuart Lancaster's time in charge, England have ripped up their midfield for the crucial World Cup pool match against Wales.

George Ford has been dropped for Owen Farrell, Sam Burgess will start at second five-eighths and Brad Barritt has been switched to centre in place of the injured Jonathan Joseph.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11517959

The Owen Farrell decision is quite surprising, not the Burgess on though. People are saying he's gone for brawn over fair by picking Burgess over Slade, but the immediate talk after the England/Fiji game was about the difference Burgess made. That difference was made my him breaking the line and off-loading, exactly what you'd want from a second five-eighths (inside centre). The British media is getting more and more ridiculous.

The Farrell/Ford decision. I get it, Farrell offers a more secure game than Ford with a better defensive kicking option. I would have preferred to see him come on to finish the game off though, I think it's harder to change from a closed, defensive game to a more open one.

At the end of the day all England want out of the game is a win, it's a toss up but this is a very good way for them to secure one.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
on paper england look like the better side across the park

wales have too many injuries to first string players in key positions - however, i'm sure they'll be up for the contest and i hope it's a good battle
Losing JJ has all of a sudden opened it up again. I think the pressure on England is so much higher now that Wales have 1/2 a team that this will be a great test for them, even more than against a full strength team. I have a feeling that Wales may sneak this through though, England are a reasonably inexperienced team. They have buckled under pressure before 2013/2014 and may do so again.

Namibia played well

All Blacks started well, then seemed to get bored and then frustrated with the speed of the game in the 2nd half - still improving though and definitely some good aspects to be taken from the game.

WC is about the players on the field, seems to me the refs, linesman and TMO all want their time in the spotlight as well!

Looking forward to RSA v Samoa & England V Wales this weekend.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Namibia played well

All Blacks started well, then seemed to get bored and then frustrated with the speed of the game in the 2nd half - still improving though and definitely some good aspects to be taken from the game.

WC is about the players on the field, seems to me the refs, linesman and TMO all want their time in the spotlight as well!

Looking forward to RSA v Samoa & England V Wales this weekend.
The sad moment of realisation that I will probably miss the first massive clash of the tournament :(

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
The sad moment of realisation that I will probably miss the first massive clash of the tournament :(

Maybe G realized that the World Championship RR clashed with the Wales-England match and "suddenly felt drained" see

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34352073

England have to be favourites, especially with Wales' injuries in the front row and the backs. I hoping though, in particular, that Gethin has a few great games in him.

OK, so the RSA v Samoa game didn't live up to my expectations, was hoping for a much closer game - I'm sure there are some very sore bodies on both teams though.

England v Australia will be huge...at twickers......can't wait for that one.

Good to see that Cooper chose Uruguay as the team to have a hiccup against. Hopefully he's only used as an impact player for the rest of the tournament. He's just not a WC starting 10.

A gutsy win from the Welsh, hopefully them and Aus take 1st and 2nd :D

well, I'm gonna have to lean towards Ireland in that one
Rugby is a team sport....relying on one player to carry a team is a futile exercise I'm afraid

All Blacks should dispose of Georgia without any concerns.....no injuries would be huge bonus!

Samoa v Japan is a bit of a coin toss for me......Japan ftw

RSA v Scotland will be a good match.....RSA are a real threat after their hiccup against Japan. Jean De Villiers is gone, but they have 3 amazing midfielders to step up into that role. Picking them to win convincingly and make a bit of a statement.

England v Aussie is a huge game and will have a final's like atmosphere at Twickers. Poms have their backs to the wall, their own media tearing them a new one and desperate to win this game to keep their hopes alive in their home world cup.
TBH, I can't see them beating the Wallabies.....man for man across the park they lose. The breakdown is so crucial in modern rugby and Pocock and Hooper just dominate that area......no one in the England team comes close to them.
Wallabies backline.....if it fires is lethal and they love the "Big Game" atmosphere - picking them to win well and make a statement also!

Have a great weekend and enjoy the footy!

TRENDING THREADS