• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Route

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The stage to Caruerets looks like a much easier, and I mean MUCH easier, version of Mortirolo-Aprica combo, although as I have stated twice already, much, much easier. However, it could catch Froome out if Quintana, Nibali and AC go attack-mode on the penultimate climb. The stage to Pra-Loup is also interesting, especially if Astana race it like they have done in the Giro. Stage 18 also, but elsehwhere it will be a Tour of attacks 3 or 4 kilometres out on the final climb, unless AG2R, with 3 high quality cards to play, race aggressively.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Looking at it again, I mistook some of those stages for boring mass sprints when in fact they are uphill sprints. Uphills sprints are great. A useful of thumb is that if Kittel and Cavendish have a chance to win, the stage is utter ***.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Looking at it again, I mistook some of those stages for boring mass sprints when in fact they are uphill sprints. Uphills sprints are great. A useful of thumb is that if Kittel and Cavendish have a chance to win, the stage is utter ****.

Uphill sprints are great? If you like maybe 3 minutes of action, then yes, I agree. You must love the Vuelta.

Valverde could win 3 stages in the first week. Of course the two murs but also stage 6 if he is really giving all his best. As most people I am also not the biggest fan of time bonifications but in this case that could really pay out, because guys like valverde could get half a minute on guys like froome. I hardly believe that he can really win stage 6 because that one doesn't look very difficult but its possible.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Valverde could win 3 stages in the first week. Of course the two murs but also stage 6 if he is really giving all his best. As most people I am also not the biggest fan of time bonifications but in this case that could really pay out, because guys like valverde could get half a minute on guys like froome. I hardly believe that he can really win stage 6 because that one doesn't look very difficult but its possible.

Piti can definitely win that stage, especially in his form of this year.

This might be his best chance to win the tour. Not meaning much though since it's still like 5%

But the parcours is perfect for him, also for contador it's really good.

Rodez is another Sagan stage. Green will be easy for him.

Stage-1432649106.jpeg

I don't like it, there should be a longish iTT but we've gone over that before. Unless im mistaken there are only 4 'definate' sprint stages (2,5,7,21) this year which isn't enough for a GT in my opinion, Seems like they've also gone OTT with these little steep hill finishes too (3,6,8,13).

Re:

Netserk said:
The fewer Kittel stages the better. I'm not even sure he'll win stage 2 if it's windy.

Yeah I agree I don't like the pan flat stages and I think teams like Etixx and Saxo will go mental if it's windy on stage 2, however there should be another 2/3 stages where at least it gives the sprinter (not Kittel) a 50/50 chance with a couple of hills in the final 20km's to make it interesting.

Miburo said:
Gigs_98 said:

Piti can definitely win that stage, especially in his form of this year.

This might be his best chance to win the tour. Not meaning much though since it's still like 5%

But the parcours is perfect for him, also for contador it's really good.

Valverde will be the first Movistar rider in yellow. Not sure if Quintana will particularly like it.

Re:

Netserk said:
Valverde will lose too much in the ITT. Not to mention that he obviously will lose ~5 minutes on stage 2.

Valverde has done amazing ITT sometimes, especially with hot weather. Valverde is thinking a little in Quintana, but he can wear the yellow jersey in the first week, he and Kiatkowski has lot of probabilities, Sagan as well, but he is going to lose some time in Huy.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Valverde winning the uphill sprints and wearing the maillot jaune will be one of the highlights of the Tour. Can't wait.

He will not win on Mur de Bretagne. And he will get a lot of competition on the Mur.

And he will lose too much time on the TT anyway, like Netserk said.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
SeriousSam said:
Valverde winning the uphill sprints and wearing the maillot jaune will be one of the highlights of the Tour. Can't wait.

He will not win on Mur de Bretagne. And he will get a lot of competition on the Mur.

And he will lose too much time on the TT anyway, like Netserk said.

The mur de bretagne is made for piti.

Indeed, remember Valverde in yellow after winning in Plumelec in 2008? That's what we're looking at. Hell, if he doesn't completely bonk or crash on some early stage (cobbles for one) or lose time in the Prologue I can see him holding it from Huy until Beille or so with a shout towards getting it back with a Mende finish.

I actually see him as a serious contender as things stand. What are the time bonus rules like for this year?

Re:

Miburo said:
Life is good when you know kittel can potentially only win 4,5 stages.

Please cav beat him up.
Kittel is perhaps the most worthless rider. He only has his top speed. He can't ride in the wind, survive even small hills, ride on cobbles. A wheelsucker like him shouldn't win any stages. At least Cavendish is a fighter.

TRENDING THREADS