• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France: Stage 2: Utrecht › Neeltje Jans (166k)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The thing I'll give Cav is this, in that situation (and lets face it, if you've watched cycling for more than a day, you've see that situation hundreds of times), when the guy in front knows he's beaten, he almost always does exactly what Cav did. True that in this instance, he should have been thinking that he needed to place top 3 for his team, but his reaction is the most common reaction for anyone in that situation.

Re: 2015 Tour de France: Stage 2: Utrecht › Neeltje Jans (16

DBotero said:
Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 7m7 minutes ago

Look at this photo. If I could hang on for 3rd, I could hang on for the win... Some imbeciles think cycling is a...

16ioWsp.jpg

As already stated, this pictures does not do him any good, amazing that he don't realize that. He really comes off like a first class douchebag. So gutted for Tony right now. :(

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
TMP402 said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
"Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 7m7 minutes ago

Look at this photo. If I could hang on for 3rd, I could hang on for the win... Some imbeciles think cycling is a..."

Too bad I am not on twitter. I would tell this genius who the real imbecile is. This hack took off in the split second he realized no shot at winning, after that he looked if he was still 3rd or whatever his "thinking" was.

He never admits mistakes, even after taking out opponents that crashed hard because of him. My hope is, before he retires, he will be payed back hard. I hope the peloton never forgets what a a-hole he is... Armstrong like proportions...

He's a sore loser, therefore he should "be payed back hard"? This is too much.

No, he is a guy who risks major injuries to his opponents and then not even thinks for a minute to apologize or at least saying he did a mistake...
Same today... SSDD... although in lesser proportions.

So why shall the peloton not pay back hard one day? Please enlighten me...

Well it depends what you mean by "pay back hard", cos it sure sounds like it involves a crowbar.

Nothing like crowbars... there is many ways to pay back. For example, just ask Filippo Simeoni or Bassons (even though those guys were harmed for wrong reasons, actually they were victims).

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
The thing I'll give Cav is this, in that situation (and lets face it, if you've watched cycling for more than a day, you've see that situation hundreds of times), when the guy in front knows he's beaten, he almost always does exactly what Cav did. True that in this instance, he should have been thinking that he needed to place top 3 for his team, but his reaction is the most common reaction for anyone in that situation.

This is true and a good post. Looking at the final again Cav looks and spots Greipel and Sagan go past him then sits up, he doesn't see Fabian until the finish line. He doesn't do himself any favours with his Twitter rants but that's just him.

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:

They rode for more than an hour in that front group. Don't you think everyone in that team knew the facts?

1. Martin in yellow if Cancellara don't place in the top 3.

Cav, Greipel and Sagan are in the group so that should be fine AND STILL, Cav can't be bothered to drill it to the finish line. HOW, in any scenario, is he not a gigantic self centered d*uchebag?!

Walkman said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:

They rode for more than an hour in that front group. Don't you think everyone in that team knew the facts?

1. Martin in yellow if Cancellara don't place in the top 3.

Cav, Greipel and Sagan are in the group so that should be fine AND STILL, Cav can't be bothered to drill it to the finish line. HOW, in any scenario, is he not a gigantic self centered d*uchebag?!

Lifetime of habit is hard to break and racing at 70Kph+ you can easily go into autopilot.

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Someone on twitter said Bob Roll interviewed Martin, and Roll was taking shots at Cav for not sprinting all the way through the line...if so, only good thing Roll has done on air since...ever...

Slanger was interviewing poor Tony. Roll was in the studio and he was Very Outspoken that Cav Stopped Pedaling and cost Tony the MJ.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re:

JRanton said:
Laughable coverage from Eurosport again. The defending Tour champ gets dropped in crosswinds, falling behind two of his biggest rivals, so naturally you go straight off to show a pre-planned documentary instead.

**** amateurs.

for all this is worth: eurosport has control over timing of advertisements during the race. they have no control over race video. france's fr.2 tv station controls all race video and features during live broadcast.

here in the u.s. of a, i watch le tour on the internet via nbc sports $29.95 u.s. dollars full access subscription. there are no commercials. the preplanned documentaries/rider or local town features such as the one you are (rightfully, in my opinion) grousing about can be and regretfully are shown at the most inopportune times

on the nbc sports webcast, there is a split screen when the pre-planned features are shown. though it is annoying, the documentary does not interrupt streaming of the race.

the audio accompanying the documentaries - which i may or may not mute - is waaaaaaaaayyyy less annoying than the constant, often baffling/inaccurate/plain wrong prattle between phil and paul. :)

if eurosport is not using split screen when assorted pre-planned documentaries are shown....well, that is just plain stooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid. in my opinion, of course.

Checked the replays. Cavendish goes at about 240 meters to go IMO. Definitely after 300 m sign, but clearly before 200 m.

Cancellara doesn't even really sprint to get to 3rd spot. He just uses the slipstream of Sagan & Greipel to slide past Cav

Cav doesn't jump at 400 meters. He doesn't even jump at 300 meters. At the moment he jumps we can not see the signs, but a moment later when they close towards left-hand barriers, they are already clearly past 250 m sign. My estimation is that he jumps from behind of Renshaw at 240-260 meters...

And Cav : if you wanna give such a BS explanation - then you should've pedalled to the finish line and NOT be looking to your side...

30 seconds too much for Quintana, I don't know what happened after they got back to 50 seconds.

Still, it's painful but nothing is lost. Hopefully Nairito can limit the damage on the cobbles and not be the last of the GC contenders, I'd allowed him to lose two minutes on the rest there but he already used up 1m30s of that time. But first, tomorrow.

Re:

Arnout said:
30 seconds too much for Quintana, I don't know what happened after they got back to 50 seconds.

Still, it's painful but nothing is lost. Hopefully Nairito can limit the damage on the cobbles and not be the last of the GC contenders, I'd allowed him to lose two minutes on the rest there but he already used up 1m30s of that time. But first, tomorrow.
Sagan happened, after his pull, tha gap rose by 10s

“It was a headwind finish and I just spoke with Mark [Renshaw] and I think he went too early and left me hanging,” Cavendish told the media when he stepped off the Etixx-QuickStep bus.

“Maybe I could have waited but that would have been a risky move. With a headwind finish ideally I'd want to go with less than 200 to go but it was more. I knew it was a gamble. Today there was three guys who rode it right and if you look at the video I gave them a bit of a leadout,” Cavendish said, aware that human error and tired legs can creep in.

“I’m disappointed, but we can take the positives with how strong our team rode today. Etixx-Quickstep forced the split and rode unselfishly. We settled on going for the stage win and you saw Tony Martin riding on the front. We’re disappointed that we didn’t get it but that’s the Tour de France. Losing out to Andre Greipel isn’t too much of a bad thing.

“The fact that Cancellara has beaten me. I wasn’t like I had a bad sprint. You can see I’ve gone from too long. When Cancellara beats me in the sprint it means I’ve gone from too long.”

Re:

MatParker117 said:
“It was a headwind finish and I just spoke with Mark [Renshaw] and I think he went too early and left me hanging,” Cavendish told the media when he stepped off the Etixx-QuickStep bus.

“Maybe I could have waited but that would have been a risky move. With a headwind finish ideally I'd want to go with less than 200 to go but it was more. I knew it was a gamble. Today there was three guys who rode it right and if you look at the video I gave them a bit of a leadout,” Cavendish said, aware that human error and tired legs can creep in.

“I’m disappointed, but we can take the positives with how strong our team rode today. Etixx-Quickstep forced the split and rode unselfishly. We settled on going for the stage win and you saw Tony Martin riding on the front. We’re disappointed that we didn’t get it but that’s the Tour de France. Losing out to Andre Greipel isn’t too much of a bad thing.

“The fact that Cancellara has beaten me. I wasn’t like I had a bad sprint. You can see I’ve gone from too long. When Cancellara beats me in the sprint it means I’ve gone from too long.”

Cavendish jumped Renshaw, so that makes this whole "left me hanging" a bit weird, I'd say.

Pricey_sky said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:

This is true and a good post. Looking at the final again Cav looks and spots Greipel and Sagan go past him then sits up, he doesn't see Fabian until the finish line. He doesn't do himself any favours with his Twitter rants but that's just him.

Don't be rational guys. We don't want that here on the CN forum!

Obviously you are right, but foxxxy prefers to makes things alot worse then they are like plenty here.
Cav is selfish and can be a huge a**hole, but if he knew he was throwing away Martin yellow jersey at that time Im sure he wouldnt let it go. I have no doubt in my mind that Cav truly respects and likes Martin for all he did for him and as his teammate.
He is an emotional guy though, bit of a loony at times.

Andro said:
Asero831 said:
Astana's giro team is better that this tour team

It's doubtful that Astana's Giro team would have done better on a stage like this.

I'll wait after TTT or the cobbles before we could make any conclusion about that. But i would definitively say Astanas Giro squad would do better then what this team did today, as their TTT win and pace before Mortirolo showed.

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
nevermind, saw the replay, Canc's front wheel didnt lift off from his throw.

he must want the yellow jersey badly though, came from the back of the 3 guys to get 3rd.

TRENDING THREADS