• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 tour de france stage 3, Antwerpen-Hoei 159.5km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amsterhammer said:
Not only that, but Preudhomme must have had the name Casartelli in the back of his mind.......and wanted to be sure that none of the injuries were terminal.

Hopefully this is not something the race director decides, but is a decision in the hands of the doctors on scene report about whether the victims they are attending require critical treatment.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
rhubroma said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
rhubroma said:
You don't stop a race for this reason!
Yes you do. If at least 1 ambulance is available, the race stops. No questions asked. Learn how to read.

And who the f are you? Listen, the fact that there are no ambulances is just f-ing pi$$ poor. This crash was normal, nothing out of the ordinary. It's a race that's gotten too big for itself.

I don't care if it is piss poor or not. If there's no ambulances available, the race stops, no matter what. That's the rule. The fact that they might have few ambulances is another discussion (poor planning), it doesn't change the fact that they HAD to stop today.

Well this is something I can respond to. It's the biggest race in the world and it keeps doing things like a Primadonna.

Why were all the ambulances engaged, for a crash that, everything considered, was spectacular but not horrific?
You don't know that. As far as we know, they had to deal with lot's of fractures and a guy was cut in 2. Still, it doesn't matter to the fact that they had to stop. No ambulances = race stops.

Why did they plan so poorly? It should be discussed after the race.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Fight.The.Power said:
They clearly need more ambulances then don't they ?

Yeah, because ambulances and trained medical staff grow on trees. :rolleyes:

There are already ambulances following the group and spread throughout the route - for both spectators and riders. It is a huge strain on the local services as it is.

A cycling race stopping for a few minutes really isn't the end of the world in such excpetional circumstances.

The point is this was not a massive crash like we have seen in the past and they had run out of ambulances. What they gonna do if it was a bigger crash ? Tend to those highest on GC first and get a taxi for the rest ?

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

Miburo said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
Miburo said:
Canc is gonna give up. Martin yellow?

I'm all for neutralizing a race when riders crash. I hope doctors demand this every time with a big crash. But please give us consistency.
It has nothing to do with that. If all riders except Froome crash, but they have doctors and ambulances available, the race keeps going. Seriously, THINK!!!! READ THE RULE!!!!

How is it possible they didn't have enough now? I've seen worse crashes in the tour. Especially in the first week you need to be prepared.
Perhaps the situation was worse than what we saw from our extremely limited perspective?

Thank God Prudhomme runs this race from the car, instead of this forum running it from the couch.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
They almost got the better of Sky, but Sky managed nicely and closed the gap.

got a feelin Astana will put the hammer down tomorrow

Here’s my interpretation, FWIW. If there’s a major crash, all or most of the ambulances gather there. If there is a second major crash soon after, any ambulances that aren’t already at the first crash site—or any that went there but weren’t needed—go to the second site. At that point, there are no ambulances immediately available if there is a third crash. It’s not that all the ambulances are necessarily in use, that there weren’t enough ambulances to begin with. It’s that there are none close to the front of the race and able to attend to a third crash quickly (because by that time the peloton has gone a considerable distance down the road from the crash sites). I think it was a result of a) two crashes very close in time; and b) each crash a major one, requiring multiple ambulances.