• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 6: Abbeville-Le Havre 191.5km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

sir fly said:
It's not exactly a climb, it's a high speed rise finishing on a false flat.

I don't agree with that. If it came at the end of a fast straight, with the peloton starting it at 60km/h it would be.

But it doesn't; according to the map it looks like most of the climb comes after a tight corner, so everyone will have to accelerate up it from a relatively low starting speed. That massively favours the puncheur/climber types over the sprinters.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
sir fly said:

I don't agree with that. If it came at the end of a fast straight, with the peloton starting it at 60km/h it would be.

But it doesn't; according to the map it looks like most of the climb comes after a tight corner, so everyone will have to accelerate up it from a relatively low starting speed. That massively favours the puncheur/climber types over the sprinters.
3-4% won't be enough to shake off the heavyweights.

Re:

sir fly said:

Those gradients hardly look like a false flat. And 850m is well enough a long wall to make the approaching speeds decrease drastically, giving room for attacks. The stage is not easy either, and remember how fast riders come into Valkenburg only to bonk on the first slopes of the Cauberg, which is no more than one and a half this climb is. We'll see.

sir fly said:

It averages 7% and reaches 12%, though.

BigMac said:
sir fly said:

Those gradients hardly look like a false flat. And 850m is well enough a long wall to make the approaching speeds decrease drastically, giving room for attacks. The stage is not easy either, and remember how fast riders come into Valkenburg only to bonk on the first slopes of the Cauberg, which is no more than one and a half this climb is. We'll see.

sir fly said:

Yes...
Interesting, really.
Positioning will be vital through the zig-zag. The GC crowd at the front won't be helpful.

BigMac said:
sir fly said:

sir fly said:

If we're lucky we might get to see the next chapter in Valverde v Rodriguez. They will probably get over the climb first with a few seconds lead and then stubbornly sit up and refuse to work with each other on the false flat to the finish, allowing someone else to take the win.

sir fly said:
BigMac said:
sir fly said:

sir fly said:

Yes...
Interesting, really.
Positioning will be vital through the zig-zag. The GC crowd at the front won't be helpful.

That's a good point and could support the idea of Froome going for it and trying to gain a few seconds on his rivals - especially with the time bonuses.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Merckx index said:
Also, if he can gap the others, it will further send the message to be afraid, very afraid, when the real climbs begin. Contador in particular would not want to be embarrassed again.
I fear the moment Froome attacks at the first MTF will evoke this response

the-fly-cloth.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Froome won't attack here, not hard enough. I think, with froome you never know.

I even doubt froome will go full genius tuesday, i think he'll do that on the plateau honestly. I don't see who can beat Sagan here, he's prob the best rider atm in the peloton together with Martin. But I guess somehow he'll end up second again

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
sir fly said:
Degenkolb.
Would it be too much?

No.

It shouldn't, but Degenkolb doesn't look that good to me. Today he wasn't great and yesterday although he won the sprint for second and was strong on the cobbles, in the slightly uphill intermediate sprint he looked terrible, really slow compared to the other ones. Degenkolb of March/April then he would be favourite, but July? Not too sure.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Brullnux said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
sir fly said:
Degenkolb.
Would it be too much?

No.

It shouldn't, but Degenkolb doesn't look that good to me. Today he wasn't great and yesterday although he won the sprint for second and was strong on the cobbles, in the slightly uphill intermediate sprint he looked terrible, really slow compared to the other ones. Degenkolb of March/April then he would be favourite, but July? Not too sure.

I would not read too much into one stage... I say 50/50

Can't see Degenkolb doing anything. Even if he manages to make it over the steeper km somewhere near the front, there is no chance of recovery before the sprint. He'll have used too much to get over the climb to win the sprint for the line.

TRENDING THREADS