• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 6: Abbeville-Le Havre 191.5km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
carton said:
Põhja Konn said:
Absolutely loved how Sagan gave the middle finger to his group of leeches and sat up, effectively gifting the stage to Stybar. A clear statement to everyone who tries to wheelsuck him to victory in the future.
Most ridiculous thing was how others still waited and waited several seconds after Sagan had sat up and Stybar was still in touching distance... only to get beaten by Sagan in the sprint for second.
Its stupid to blame Sagan for anything today, he and Stybar were the only ones from the lead group who took definitive action in the finale.
QFT. How people think someone can possibly win a sprint against the fastest men in the world after leading them out for 500m is beyond me.

You are missing the point here. It wasn't a mano-a-mano situation. There were about 15-20 riders in the group with Sagan. Had they chased, they probably would have lost the stage to Sagan, but with looking to Sagan and not trying themselves, they most definitely lost it to Stybar. That's why I'm happy that Sagan didn't play along and thus helped the one who deserved it to win the stage.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
We expected a crash fest and it happened, luckily the gc favorites are still there so far. What I didn't expect was the incredible boredom so early in the tour. Zeeland and cobbles final apart it has been truly awful. I Remember Giro fondly and roll on Vuelta.

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
No he didn't. Just watch the images.
I just did. Contador goes past the crash after Froome clicks his pedal back in. Yet Froome manages to finish behind Quintana who got caught in the crash. How??
My issue is not with Froome getting the same time (which is normal because he was affected, although barely, by the crash) but with him taking advantage of the situation.
What is wrong with what Froome did?

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Anyway, I hope Nibali and Quintana are okay. Froome might get this handed to him 2014 Nibali style otherwise.

There's Contador as well. Don't lose hope on him just yet.
I'm not his fan but my hopes are he'll improve form wise in the third week. Your hopes as this forum's greatest ACfangirl must be ten times bigger than mine
Without Nibali and Quintana to put pressure on Froome, there's no way Contador can win, unless Froome has another classic meltdown.

And one day before Fuente De many people here thought there was no way Contador would win the Vuelta.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Can anyone explain how Froome finished behind Nibali who was lying on the ground for a long time? Terrible coverage, it's so difficult to figure out what happened. He didn't go down somewhere else did he?

From Team Sky homepage

Froome stayed upright but was forced to stop metres later, eventually finishing the stage without time-loss alongside his team-mates due to the three-kilometre rule.

Could mean he had a bike problem.

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/article/57420#TLyLxiodYV5Kvek8.99

Re:

rm7 said:
Valverdo COULD be reffering to the crash he had earlier in the stage, which no cameras caught. Just so everybody knows.

The bottom line is that where there is a Froome there is a problem. Nibali "mistook" the situation just so that he could remind Froome how he handles a bike and that people automatically assumes this. The same did Bala,

It is basically the will of the universe, karma, Santa Klaus, Lady fortune or whatever that have managed Froome to stay on the bike during two stages now.

No_Balls said:
rm7 said:
Valverdo COULD be reffering to the crash he had earlier in the stage, which no cameras caught. Just so everybody knows.

The bottom line is that where there is a Froome there is a problem. Nibali "mistook" the situation just so that he would remind Froome how he handles a bike and that people automatically assumes this. The same did Bala,

It is basically the will of the universe, karma, Santa Klaus, Lady fortune or whatever that have managed Froome to stay on the bike during two stages now.

Or his bike skills/positionning?
It is 2nd stage in which someone actually threw themselves at Froome, yet he managed to stay upright.
What has to be done in order for people to believe that he can handle the bike just fine? Has to win a trial competition? Maybe BMX?

Punkan said:
Carols said:
Can anyone explain how Froome finished behind Nibali who was lying on the ground for a long time? Terrible coverage, it's so difficult to figure out what happened. He didn't go down somewhere else did he?

From Team Sky homepage

Froome stayed upright but was forced to stop metres later, eventually finishing the stage without time-loss alongside his team-mates due to the three-kilometre rule.

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/article/57420#TLyLxiodYV5Kvek8.99

Thanks!

Põhja Konn said:
You are missing the point here. It wasn't a mano-a-mano situation. There were about 15-20 riders in the group with Sagan. Had they chased, they probably would have lost the stage to Sagan, but with looking to Sagan and not trying themselves, they most definitely lost it to Stybar. That's why I'm happy that Sagan didn't play along and thus helped the one who deserved it to win the stage.
Not sure when we went past Albuquerque. I agreed with that assessment, only added that the chances of anyone but van Vlaeminck's recollection of van Vlaeminck would've won out after leading out 20 sprinters for 500m are pretty darn minuscule. So Sagan closing the gap himself wouldn't have likely helped Peter Sagan's actual stage standing out much. And everyone at least moderately familiar with road racing, including the riders that were staring at him like labradoodles, should've known that.

So Valverde forgets Froome is no longer in yellow and blames Froome for the crash instead of Martin (who may not have caused it anyway)

Nibali hears that Froome caused the crash and throws a bidon at Froome

Froome then goes to the Astana bus with Luke Rowe and defuses the situation.

Nibali then apologizes

It seems to me that Froome handled the situation very well.

Punkan said:
Carols said:

From Team Sky homepage

That may explain it, thanks for posting :)

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

damian13ster said:
No_Balls said:
rm7 said:

The bottom line is that where there is a Froome there is a problem. Nibali "mistook" the situation just so that he would remind Froome how he handles a bike and that people automatically assumes this. The same did Bala,

Or his bike skills/positionning?
It is 2nd stage in which someone actually threw themselves at Froome, yet he managed to stay upright.
What has to be done in order for people to believe that he can handle the bike just fine? Has to win a trial competition? Maybe BMX?

tumblr_mk6d12R5lj1qacyk6o1_r1_1280.jpg

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Glad to hear Nibali apologised to Froome, throwing a bidon at another rider is poor behaviour, Nibali perhaps feeling the pressure of losing time in a first week that was supposed to favour him?
Maybe you shouldn't believe all the *** these "Journalists" say

Z3lvet said:
Flamin said:
Sagan 2nd again, unbelievable :eek: maybe he didn't have the legs to follow Styby, because he looked to be going very strong. Else it would make no sense at all for Sagan to let him go.

Very glad for Styby though, great stage win in his first Tour. A shame we didn't get to see his attack. Really lame job from the tv director.
You can´t follow from fifth position and drop everyone. Not even Sagan can do that.

What do you mean, drop everyone? Why would he need to do that?