• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 7: Livarot - Fougeres, 190.5 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

franic said:
King Boonen said:
jaylew said:
TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:
AK is a classics sprinter (sorta like TB), not a platoon sprinter (like AG). But, by all means, carry on about how much he sucks.

Yes they overlap, but they are different 'styles' of sprinters.

Nice sprint Cav!

Well he was consistently ahead of people he's now behind, earlier in the year.

In Qatar he beat Sagan several times. In De Panne he beat Greipel. Now he's obviously in much worse shape than either of them, and Cavendish and Degenkolb. I don't think you can only say he's a different type of rider, he clearly put more into his spring than his rivals did.

This. AK in good form has no problems in traditional sprints against the top guys. After all, we're talking about a guy with 18 wins this year and a couple in the Tour last year.

When no-one else is on form and he is he can win ok in flat bunch sprints, but at the Tour, nope. Only with luck. Hardly a bad thing though.
This is ridiculous. Do you remember stage 15 last year? He beat Haussler, Sagan, Greipel, Renshaw, Coquard in a deadly flat arrive.

https://youtu.be/XsSk9MfuHOM?t=5667

LOL, I said top sprinters, only one of them is a top sprinter and he goes missing most the time when he doesn't have a lead out. Of course he'll win one every now and them, but 99/100 he gets beat by Cav, Greipel, Kittel and maybe Degenkolb. Hardly a bad thing, but he ain't a top flat stage sprinter.

Re: 2015 Tour de France Stage 7: Livarot - Fougeres, 190.5 k

SKSemtex said:
Sagan TDF podium/stage ratio is pretty impressive. 24/70. Better than each third stage :)

Very impressive but he's been a nearly man much too often, I'm sure he wants a win as much as he wants green. He's young and got loads of time yet, but it would have been nice to see him get a couple of big wins by now.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

King Boonen said:
LOL, I said top sprinters, only one of them is a top sprinter and he goes missing most the time when he doesn't have a lead out. Of course he'll win one every now and them, but 99/100 he gets beat by Cav, Greipel, Kittel and maybe Degenkolb. Hardly a bad thing, but he ain't a top flat stage sprinter.

And yet he is just edged out by Kittel in the flattest, straightest sprint of them all in addition to beating those listed on many occasions :rolleyes:

Supimilian said:
King Boonen said:

And yet he is just edged out by Kittel in the flattest, straightest sprint of them all in addition to beating those listed on many occasions :rolleyes:

He's won 2 TdF stages. 2 GT stages only. Not a flat stage sprinter.

It's not a bad thing, I think he's a fantastic classics rider and I care much more about them than the GTs, but I just telling the truth. The 1 of the big 3 beat him on pretty much any flat GT stage.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

No_Balls said:
LaFlorecita said:
sky2500 said:
11seconds now frrome in 1 sky power;)
What does this even mean?

It means its July.
yep, its terrible, :eek: otoh for me this is nothing in comparison with some twitter idiots.I commented a rider's tweet first and I had 26 whinning aswers (not from my followers), almost all of them were stupid and you could have seen that those people watch cycling once a year which is annoying.

jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
AK is a classics sprinter (sorta like TB), not a platoon sprinter (like AG). But, by all means, carry on about how much he sucks.

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?

Read above. While no one actually used the word "sucks" it was implied many times.
I don't think that anyone thinks that Kristoff sucks. He's obviously an incredible rider. But his sprint today sucked.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
jaylew said:
TMP402 said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Well he was consistently ahead of people he's now behind, earlier in the year.

In Qatar he beat Sagan several times. In De Panne he beat Greipel. Now he's obviously in much worse shape than either of them, and Cavendish and Degenkolb. I don't think you can only say he's a different type of rider, he clearly put more into his spring than his rivals did.

This. AK in good form has no problems in traditional sprints against the top guys. After all, we're talking about a guy with 18 wins this year and a couple in the Tour last year.

When no-one else is on form and he is he can win ok in flat bunch sprints, but at the Tour, nope. Only with luck. Hardly a bad thing though.
I think Kristoff can outsprint anyone but Cav and Kittel head to head in a flat sprint. On a finish like today's he can take Cav too.

I also don't think his form is bad this Tour, on the last few stages he has been unlucky, and today he and Katusha messed up the lead out. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for us viewers he won't get another chance to prove himself for at least a week.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Kristoffs stages last year came towards the end, when kittel was tired from the mountains, in the first stages I can't remember him being there. Maybe he will perform better in the last two sprint stages when others are more tired and less explosive.

On and btw the Champs Elysées is uphill ;)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Kristoff's coach said the reason why Kristoff couldn't get his speed up was because he didn't have chance to start to accelerate until he was in the uphill, while the others started their acceleration on the flat beforé the last uphill. When Kristoff got a free way, the other sprinters were already at their highest speed.

Guarnieri was a bit irritated at Haller because he didn't move away quickly enough. After Guarnieri saw a video of the sprint, he realised that he did the same mistake as Haller. The leadout also went too close to the barriers instead of to the left, so Kristoff was boxed in. The advantage of a leadout-train, to go so fast that the others can't pass you, became a disadvantage instead because of their mistakes. He probably wouldn't have won anyway, but he was chanceless starting his acceleration in the upphill.

Kristoff has'nt been very lucky so far. First sprint stage he came in the second group because of a crash. His second chance, he got a puncture a few km from the finish, and now this .

King Boonen said:
Supimilian said:
King Boonen said:

He's won 2 TdF stages. 2 GT stages only. Not a flat stage sprinter.

It's not a bad thing, I think he's a fantastic classics rider and I care much more about them than the GTs, but I just telling the truth. The 1 of the big 3 beat him on pretty much any flat GT stage.

I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago but he's progressed and things have changed.

cala said:
Kristoff's coach said the reason why Kristoff couldn't get his speed up was because he didn't have chance to start to accelerate until he was in the uphill, while the others started their acceleration on the flat beforé the last uphill. When Kristoff got a free way, the other sprinters were already at their highest speed.

Guarnieri was a bit irritated at Haller because he didn't move away quickly enough. After Guarnieri saw a video of the sprint, he realised that he did the same mistake as Haller. The leadout also went too close to the barriers instead of to the left, so Kristoff was boxed in. The advantage of a leadout-train, to go so fast that the others can't pass you, became a disadvantage instead because of their mistakes. He probably wouldn't have won anyway, but he was chanceless starting his acceleration in the upphill.

Kristoff has'nt been very lucky so far. First sprint stage he came in the second group because of a crash. His second chance, he got a puncture a few km from the finish, and now this .

The last 250m was uphill, and look at the video, you could only possibly make a case for Greipel starting his acceleration around 250m, but Cavendish and Sagan certainly don't.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Majka finishes alone behind the peloton. Someone posted a few days ago about an injury. Is he free-wheeling in like last year, or is his form in question? Important with the TTT looming.

Translated from his twitter account

Rafał: "Dzisiejszy etap minął dość szybko, po wczorajszej kraksie czułem się nieźle, nie odczuwam praktycznie jej skutków.

Today's stage went pretty quickly. Although I crashed yesterday, I felt OK. I hardly felt any effects.

His form is fine. He'll be strong again in the mountains.

Edit: For clarity, Majka's post came after stage 6.

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

TMP402 said:
cala said:

The last 250m was uphill, and look at the video, you could only possibly make a case for Greipel starting his acceleration around 250m, but Cavendish and Sagan certainly don't.

But they weren't boxed in either. Cav came from Kristoff's wheel. The leadout should make it easier for the sprinter, not harder. When Guarnieri was finished with his job and made room for Kristoff to start accelerate his sprint, the other sprinters were allready at full speed. Guarnieri almost had to slow down a little too because of Haller's "exit". Seems like It's better to start the sprints from "far" behind in this tour. As I said, he probably wouldn't have won either way, but his coach said on Norwegian TV whàt I wrote above. He also said Kristoff is in good shape.

King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Nice sprint Cav!

Who said Kristoff sucks?

Read above. While no one actually used the word "sucks" it was implied many times.

I don't see anyone implying he sucks. I see people saying he can't win a flat, fast sprint against the top sprinters at the Tour, but that's something entirely different.

Fail=sucks to me, and several used that word to describe him/his performance today and so far this TdF.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

cala said:

Haller crashed pretty hard on 2 different stages, in the big crash on stage 3 and in the the big crash on stage 5, so I can understand that he's not at his best.

Mayomaniac said:
cala said:

Haller crashed pretty hard on 2 different stages, in the big crash on stage 3 and in the the big crash on stage 5, so I can understand that he's not at his best.
Haller might have had two crashes but I think it was more a tactical mistake, so the crashes aren't a good excuse

TRENDING THREADS