2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181.5km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

franic said:
cellardoor said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
woodburn said:
All that work and no Garmins near the front.
Embarrassing they only had Martin there at the end.
I don't get this. They worked hard for Dan Martin and burnt all their matches. Martin had to look after himself in the finale but it was pretty much the same for everyone. If they'd let the breakaway win people would be complaining that they lost out on an almost certain win by shirking their responsibility.
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.
Said on Eurosport that he was boxed in when Vuillermoz attacked and couldnt follow. This is why he needed a teammate at the end. Instead they had Talansky in the group behind and the rest of the team sitting up saving themselves for tomorrow because Vaughters has a hard on for TTT.
 
Jul 3, 2012
682
0
0
Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
sky2500 said:
Chris frrome said not even trying, you guys are hoping and wishing he weak lol.
Well Contador certainly wasn't. Looked easy
25 people finished with Froome et al, I think we can assume that some of the GC guys left a lot in the tank there.
 
Re: 2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181

dacooley said:
what happened to nibs? the pace wasnot especially high on the last 500 meters. He really couldn't stay in the group? :(
Clearly he was caught out by Tactically Inept Worst Bike-Handler Ever Froome.
 
Re: Re:

AICA ribonucleotide said:
franic said:
cellardoor said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
woodburn said:
All that work and no Garmins near the front.
Embarrassing they only had Martin there at the end.
I don't get this. They worked hard for Dan Martin and burnt all their matches. Martin had to look after himself in the finale but it was pretty much the same for everyone. If they'd let the breakaway win people would be complaining that they lost out on an almost certain win by shirking their responsibility.
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.
Said on Eurosport that he was boxed in when Vuillermoz attacked and couldnt follow. This is why he needed a teammate at the end. Instead they had Talansky in the group behind and the rest of the team sitting up saving themselves for tomorrow because Vaughters has a hard on for TTT.
So why spend your team chasing a break that was never going to succeed? Just dumb tactics all the way around.
 
Rather than saying Froome was weak I think it was more the fact that he put in a fairly strong effort then realised he wasn't going to take any time on that front group so switched off. I though Contador looked better today though. Nibali losing 10 seconds when they weren't exactly going a fast pace at the front towards he end is worrying for him.

That being said it was just a little climb, we can't really draw any conclusions, we must wait until Tuesday.
 
Re:

sky2500 said:
Chris frrome said not even trying, you guys are hoping and wishing he weak lol.
Ok, look. If you're going to be a skybot, you have to at least spell Froome right.

Anyway, I thought Froome looked good. He looked back, saw the contenders weren't challenging, so he eased up.
 
Apr 12, 2009
404
0
0
Re:

jaylew said:
Vuillermoz was clearly the strongest on the day. He was one of the three that went early on the climb and when Froome brought them back he went again solo. Martin was beaten by a stronger rider on the day - no shame in that. Valverde coming into form a bit or just a stage that really suited him?
Really a standout win. He pulled alongside Froome and just went for it at the hardest part. Winning on strength and timing -- not just catching the others unawares.
 
Re: Re:

AICA ribonucleotide said:
franic said:
cellardoor said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
woodburn said:
All that work and no Garmins near the front.
Embarrassing they only had Martin there at the end.
I don't get this. They worked hard for Dan Martin and burnt all their matches. Martin had to look after himself in the finale but it was pretty much the same for everyone. If they'd let the breakaway win people would be complaining that they lost out on an almost certain win by shirking their responsibility.
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.
Said on Eurosport that he was boxed in when Vuillermoz attacked and couldnt follow. This is why he needed a teammate at the end. Instead they had Talansky in the group behind and the rest of the team sitting up saving themselves for tomorrow because Vaughters has a hard on for TTT.
Maybe there's some truth in the TTT bit, but I really can't see Talansky sitting up for that reason - he must have been on a bad day so nothing he could do for Martin.
 
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Rather than saying Froome was weak I think it was more the fact that he put in a fairly strong effort then realised he wasn't going to take any time on that front group so switched off. I though Contador looked better today though. Nibali losing 10 seconds when they weren't exactly going a fast pace at the front towards he end is worrying for him.

That being said it was just a little climb, we can't really draw any conclusions, we must wait until Tuesday.
This.
 
My firm impression is that Froome was fixed to the power data, and that the rest of the GC field rode with that in mind.
Also, the way Sky approached the ascent looks like they're tuning for tomorrow and trying to find perfect succession of their turns up the finishing ascent.
 
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bardet also lost time again
Pinot as well. And Rui Costa even more.
Well Costa is clearly injured
Hm, thought he would have recovered by now.
He said after yesterday's stage that his leg had not gotten better at all and could only pray (paraphrasing here) that it wouldn't fail him completely. I think it's obvious, as in no other situation would he lose so much time on the Mûr.
 
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Flamin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bardet also lost time again
Pinot as well. And Rui Costa even more.
Well Costa is clearly injured
Hm, thought he would have recovered by now.
He said after yesterday's stage that his leg had not gotten better at all and could only pray (paraphrasing here) that it wouldn't fail him completely. I think it's obvious, as in no other situation would he lose so much time on the Mûr.
Thanks for the info, but you could have told me that yesterday :p
 
Jul 3, 2012
682
0
0
Re:

cellardoor said:
Perhaps Nibali has picked up a minor injury from his crash the other day.
It was a bit of a hard crash. I doubt it's anything serious, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit nicked up and is just trying to play it close to the chest with the expectation of being back near 100% after the rest day.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re:

sir fly said:
My firm impression is that Froome was fixed to the power data, and that the rest of the GC field rode with that in mind.
Also, the way Sky approached the ascent looks like they're tuning for tomorrow and trying to find perfect succession of their turns up the finishing ascent.
Lol................
 
Mar 27, 2015
435
0
0
Re:

cellardoor said:
It seems to me that Froome gave up on the win when he saw Sagan on his wheel - can't really see that as weakness.
Yes, he pulled slightly harder only the steeper part of the hill. Strange that even that was enough to drop NIbali.
 
I know it's repetitive and pointless to complain about Phil Liggett but when Vuillermoz first went to the front at the bottom of the Muur he called him Riblon (they don't look even vaguely similar) then when Vuillermoz went clear he said it was Bardet. Only with 300m to go (and obviously with prompting) did he correctly identify him, and then still cocked up the pronunciation of his name.

Enough already Phil. You've had a good run. Please retire.
 
Re: Re:

AICA ribonucleotide said:
franic said:
cellardoor said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
woodburn said:
All that work and no Garmins near the front.
Embarrassing they only had Martin there at the end.
I don't get this. They worked hard for Dan Martin and burnt all their matches. Martin had to look after himself in the finale but it was pretty much the same for everyone. If they'd let the breakaway win people would be complaining that they lost out on an almost certain win by shirking their responsibility.
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.
Said on Eurosport that he was boxed in when Vuillermoz attacked and couldnt follow. This is why he needed a teammate at the end. Instead they had Talansky in the group behind and the rest of the team sitting up saving themselves for tomorrow because Vaughters has a hard on for TTT.
Are you kidding me? The rest of the Cannondale team rode their balls out to keep the gap to the front group reduced. Did you miss the complete last 70km or something?
 
Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
sir fly said:
My firm impression is that Froome was fixed to the power data, and that the rest of the GC field rode with that in mind.
Also, the way Sky approached the ascent looks like they're tuning for tomorrow and trying to find perfect succession of their turns up the finishing ascent.
Lol................
Elaborate, please.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS