• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181.5km

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
franic said:
Spending time on this forum I realize that Contador’s fanboys may be blind because of their idol, but at least they tend to know about cycling. On the contrary, Froome’s fanboys seem to be british lads who started watching cycling 3/4 years ago and can’t avoid filling the board with comments that are dubious at best.

Well I am British, but I've also been watching cycling almost half my life, which is not just 4 years as I am not 8 years old! :D

You're the exception to the rule my friend. ;) :D

Re:

The Barb said:
I know it's repetitive and pointless to complain about Phil Liggett but when Vuillermoz first went to the front at the bottom of the Muur he called him Riblon (they don't look even vaguely similar) then when Vuillermoz went clear he said it was Bardet. Only with 300m to go (and obviously with prompting) did he correctly identify him, and then still cocked up the pronunciation of his name.

Enough already Phil. You've had a good run. Please retire.
To be fair at least he didnt say that Rodolfo Massi has just attacked!

LaFlorecita said:
dacooley said:
harryh said:
LaFlorecita said:
Pricey_sky said:
Well I am British, but I've also been watching cycling almost half my life, which is not just 4 years as I am not 8 years old! :D
But you're also a very reasonable Sky fan :)

Yes he is and it would be great if there was as reasonable Saxo fan as well :p
the forum has one.jelantik:)
Dunno, he/she has been panicking a lot lately! :eek:

Reasonable Contador/Saxo fans? Publicus is a name that comes to mind. Angliru? Jspear also

I differ. LaFlo and ILC are the most unbiased, objective, unprejudiced and enlightened Contador fans on the same unmatched proportion auscyclefan94 is Cadel's.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
To be fair I do find it annoying when fans (even Sky fans) only pipe up when they do well, although at least when Sky do well I'm happy, but I can see how it gets everyone annoyed. I give everyone credit where it's due. I suppose it is each to their own, even if it is frustrating to keep reading.

I do kind of regret joining to forum in the month of July though, new posters then seem to think I know nothing about cycling and confuse me for a 'July Sky fan' :rolleyes:
Dont worry, you're not bad for a Skybot, just keep out of the Clinic.

;)

ps: I dont give a toss who you root for, I sometimes - not today - root for AG2R, just keep the blinders of.

Re:

franic said:
Spending time on this forum I realize that Contador’s fanboys may be blind because of their idol, but at least they tend to know about cycling. On the contrary, Froome’s fanboys seem to be british lads who started watching cycling 3/4 years ago and can’t avoid filling the board with comments that are dubious at best.

A myth always getting pushed by the haters..

harryh said:
LaFlorecita said:
Pricey_sky said:

Are there really that many Saxo fans? There are certainly a bunch of AC fans, but how many of them are actually Saxo fans? I'd certainly count myself as a member of the former, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about the rest of the team, frankly.

Maybe that's where the separation lies - if you're a fan of Saxo and its other riders simply because AC is on the squad and you'd be a fan of any team who had him maybe that's makes you a true fanboy? Kinda how ACF became a fan of most of the BMC riders simply because they were on a team with Cadel.

jaylew said:
harryh said:
LaFlorecita said:
Pricey_sky said:

Are there really that many Saxo fans? There are certainly a bunch of AC fans, but how many of them are actually Saxo fans? I'd certainly count myself as a member of the former, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about the rest of the team, frankly.

Maybe that's where the separation lies - if you're a fan of Saxo and its other riders simply because AC is on the squad and you'd be a fan of any team who had him maybe that's makes you a true fanboy? Kinda how ACF became a fan of most of the BMC riders simply because they were on a team with Cadel.

The best fan of Saxo I've encountered was Strategy on DPF :)

Re:

franic said:

Ok now i know which fans to ask when i need cycling lessons :rolleyes:

Re: 2015 Tour de France Stage 8: Rennes-Mur de Bretagne, 181

Tank Engine said:
a) Valverde (Mur de Huy) has been clearly my worst pick so far. b) I still think Valverde is the best rider for such a finish. c) I gave up on Cav today and of course he wins. I know that the argumentation is somewhat irrational, but I have to go for Alex "Greendale". Second, Sagan (who else?). Third: Dan Martin.

I hope though that at least one of the Yates twins is up there tomorrow.

I'm becoming the Peter Sagan of predecting. :eek:

Congratulations to Vuillermoz, he won on strength, courage and tactics.

As for Nibali, it may well have been the effects of his crash. We'll see after the rest day (as with the others), but the way his team is riding he's going to lose more time tomorrow.

franic said:
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.

Yes. It's weird: On this sort of final wall, where the whole field arrives together, he starts his charge from too far back, time after time. But put him in a small selection two km from the end of a race with a different sort of finish and he's one of the smartest tactical riders.

cellardoor said:
Maybe there's some truth in the TTT bit, but I really can't see Talansky sitting up for that reason - he must have been on a bad day so nothing he could do for Martin.

Talansky is no puncheur and will never be there at the sharp end of a charge up a wall. Not his thing at all. The Cannondale team is full of riders who should be expected to be capable of being there for Martin, but they didn't bring their Ardennes squad.

Zinoviev Letter said:
franic said:
Classic Dan Martin today. He was in 8th position, about 15-20 m behind, when Vuillermoz attacked.

Yes. It's weird: On this sort of final wall, where the whole field arrives together, he starts his charge from too far back, time after time. But put him in a small selection two km from the end of a race with a different sort of finish and he's one of the smartest tactical riders.
I think he doesn't become smarter, it just suits his riding style better because the tactic in a 5 men group isn't as important as the tactic in a 30 men group.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Amazing victory for Vuillermoz, really happy for him,:) I see I had predicted him for success too early :)o), otoh it came in a most famous race.
Interesting performance from Froome, AC and Nibali, of course it depends how much energy they spent with TTT in their minds.
Interesting day tomoroz :cool:

btw really pissed for Sagz, but I dont think he had the legs even with teammates next to him ;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
harryh said:
LaFlorecita said:
Pricey_sky said:

Yes Pricey is great and I think there are quite a few reasonable Saxo fans......
For example Publicus,Kwibus, Carols etc :)

and of course #Pricey4BestSkyFanEva :cool: :-D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
Said on Eurosport that he was boxed in when Vuillermoz attacked and couldnt follow. This is why he needed a teammate at the end. Instead they had Talansky in the group behind and the rest of the team sitting up saving themselves for tomorrow because Vaughters has a hard on for TTT.
Are you kidding me? The rest of the Cannondale team rode their balls out to keep the gap to the front group reduced. Did you miss the complete last 70km or something?

Someone was always gonna chase. They were the idiots that stuck their heads out into the wind. They were never gonna stay away.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Re:

willbick said:
Martin was never gonna beat Vuillemoz. He made no impression at all on his lead in the final few hundred metres

Agreed Vuillermoz killed the hill and had the better legs today. Congratz Pika!

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Prediction: Froome, Contador and Quintana to crash out early on stage 10, and forum members to refer back to stage 8 for the next twelve months as proof that Nibali didn't deserve to stand on the top step in Paris.
How is Nibali going to be beat Tejay? :p He has proved that he is better this year.

If Tejay is able hang on to Froome, he can hang on to Nibali easily.

Velolover2 said:
gregrowlerson said:
Prediction: Froome, Contador and Quintana to crash out early on stage 10, and forum members to refer back to stage 8 for the next twelve months as proof that Nibali didn't deserve to stand on the top step in Paris.
How is Nibali going to be beat Tejay? :p He has proved that he is better this year.

If Tejay is able hang on to Froome, he can hang on to Nibali easily.

Nothing is proven until the first mountain stage at the earliest.

TRENDING THREADS