• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp 138k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:
42x16ss said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:
This is one of the hardest stages I can remember. Can anyone point to a harder stage in the last 10 years?

I think that Valverde will crack. Rodriguez to do well, Majka also. Aru and Pozzovivo will disappoint. Quintana and Froome? No idea.
Gardeccia stage 2011 Giro? Was also raced very aggressively.
That came to my mind as well. Gardeccia was nearly 100kms longer though. This doesn't go as high or far but the constant gradients are going to give someone an opportunity to do something epic.

Gardechia stage in a very different situation, Contador already had the GC all but locked up, so riders weren't afraid of ruining their chances for the win. And Contador I think started attacking on the Giau already I think, which may have been just for kicks.

Who in this field is gonna do that?

Actually it was Purito who started the hostilities. Can you imagine that? :)

Nothing to loose. Didn't exactly remember. I also remember Nibali getting dropped on the Giau, come back on the descent, attack in the descent, being brought back on the Fedaia, being dropped on Fedaia, only to come back on the descent and start the final climb with everyone together.

Re: 2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp

In Spain TVE will cover the entire stage, I imagine Eurosport will do the same.

Let's hope for some rain to add an extra difficulty, but not too bad weather so that TV coverage remains intact. :p

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Arredondo said:
If it rains, Purito will be good. I think he will finish in the top-5, perhaps top-3. And he will attack from further out.
Define further out.

The rain part of the he will attack part?

About the rain: Purito is always sublime in rain. Most of his big wins were in tough, rainy conditions. And sometimes he suffers from the heat. Instead of someone like Valverde or Froome, he can handle quick temperature drops/weather changes very well. Quintana is also a rider who's good in this.

About the attack part: It's his home stage. He will be super motivated. Perhaps this is the stage/race he wants to win most deadly. I think he will put all his cards on the table, also because he needs to take a good chunck of time if he wants to win this Vuelta. Or be in the mix after the TT.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Sasquatch said:
Arredondo said:
If it rains, Purito will be good. I think he will finish in the top-5, perhaps top-3. And he will attack from further out.

Bala to crack indeed, because of his not so impressive form + crash. I expect Majka to do really good, just as Quintana.

Don't know about Aru. He's good in a relatively flat stage with a MTF at the end. He's not that good in a stage with multiple hard climbs. Froome could do well. This stage is ideal for riding your own tempo. Chaves to lose time, just as Dumoulin (it has to be).

Torres will be the surprise of the day. He will just be caught on the last climb after a long break.

1. Quintana
2. Majka
3. Froome
4. Torres
5. Purito

Torres is still r

Torres was already 23th on Cumbre after his ilness. And he lost time on purpose yesterday to have more chance to be in the break.

I expect a lot from him. But Cano also was with the 50-guys group after the last climb yesterdag, so he should be good too.

Arredondo said:
SafeBet said:
Arredondo said:
Define further out.

The rain part of the he will attack part?

About the rain: Purito is always sublime in rain. Most of his big wins were in tough, rainy conditions. And sometimes he suffers from the heat. Instead of someone like Valverde or Froome, he can handle quick temperature drops/weather changes very well. Quintana is also a rider who's good in this.

About the attack part: It's his home stage. He will be super motivated. Perhaps this is the stage/race he wants to win most deadly. I think he will put all his cards on the table, also because he needs to take a good chunck of time if he wants to win this Vuelta. Or be in the mix after the TT.

All of this is true, but I help you hope Purito still is good enough to actually try. I think he's passed it, but I'll be happy if he prooves me wrong!

I really hope for rain, that would cause even more carnage. However I'd rather take dry weather instead of bad weather and no TV coverage.
I think the two riders who suffer most from rain are Froome and Aru

Gigs_98 said:
I really hope for rain, that would cause even more carnage. However I'd rather take dry weather instead of bad weather and no TV coverage.

Did you watch the Tour de Romandie in 2013 and 2014?

Still a little bit disappointed by the Movistar-team in this Vuelta. So far, they have been very useful, but I reckon one of Erviti, Rutherland and Ventoso had been enough when you also have Rojas and actually have real tough multi mountain stages. Rojas and Moreno are decent climbers, but both need a superb day (+5, right) to contribute even early on if the race is on. That leaves them with only Visconti and Amador. Visconti has been super so far, as good in the Giro, but thats still not enough really. Amador gotta take it game to another level, he hasnt been climbing well at all - so far.

I fear that means Movistar somewhat will restrain from some long attack-stuff unless the opportunity arises since I think there is about 5-10 km flat between Gallina and the 2. category and 5 km again before the MTF. But lets see. I think they will try to get Moreno, Rojas and Amador into some breaks and let Visconti sit in the peloton as long as possible. Unzue is probably the DS who utilizes helpers in the break most often, so wouldnt be surprised to see Conti as well since he by far seems the strongest of the Mov-helpers.

Edit: My bad, only 4 kilometres at best. The profiles fucks me up since its so short. Thats better if Quinco wants to go

rghysens said:
Gigs_98 said:

Did you watch the Tour de Romandie in 2013 and 2014?
Yeah when he wasn't able to drop Spilak :rolleyes:

Froome isn't that good in hard races in the rain against decent oppostion, Nibali was at Romandie in 2014 but he was about 50%, and Bala lost out to LRP that year at Romandie in 2013 so he was in pretty crap form also. 2013 Tirreno he imploded in he rain, 2013 WRCC he imploded in the rain, whenever it was bad weather in 2012 Vuelta he did worse. I think it's hard to make a good argument that Froome is better in cold, rainy harsh conditions than when it is nice, warm and sunny.

Arredondo said:
His best chance to gain time imho is wait for the last climb, when the leading group might consist of 10 riders, and then do one proper attack. I don't think he can sustain an attack from La Gallina for instance. He's never been that kind of rider, not even in his prime.

Gigs_98 said:

There is a sort of 'superstition' that Froome is bad in rain and I have no idea where it stems from; is it because of Wiggins?

Re:

vedrafjord said:
Wearing my green-tinted glasses for a minute, it's so annoying that Dan Martin can't ride a bike for 10 days without falling off, because I was looking forward to seeing how he'd handle this stage as a GC contender (vs say 2013 Tour stage 9 which was multi climb but not as tough and no MTF). If Roche starts grinding on the big ring he's toast.
Well, I think it's time we realise that Martin is no GC rider.

Ruby United said:
Gigs_98 said:

There is a sort of 'superstition' that Froome is bad in rain and I have no idea where it stems from; is it because of Wiggins?
I think so. Plus Froome seems to be good in the heat so it's logical to think he's not so good in the rain. We haven't seen much evidence that it's true though, except for that one stage in Tirreno (in 2013 wasn't it?) where he lost some of time to Nibali and Rodriguez.

Hugo Koblet said:
Ruby United said:
Gigs_98 said:

I think so. Plus Froome seems to be good in the heat so it's logical to think he's not so good in the rain. We haven't seen much evidence that it's true though, except for that one stage in Tirreno (in 2013 wasn't it?) where he lost some of time to Nibali and Rodriguez.
Well there have been some other stages where he had big problems when the weather was bad, like the last dauphine stage 2014. However my point is that I never had this dominant froome feeling which I for example had in LPSM this year, when it was raining (I actually really didnt watch the tour de romandie 2013/14 but often riders aren't on absolute top level there, although I would maybe have another opinion if I had seen the crucial stages there). In this years tour there was only one very rainy stage (Plateau de Beille) and while he dropped everyone by at least one minute, two days earlier, suddenly lots of other riders could follow his attack. Maybe he isnt really bad in bad weather, but he is definitely not as good as in dry and hot conditions

KyoGrey said:

Eurosport 2 are on air from 12:15 BST in The U.K, so looks like we'll see the entire stage....and loads of adverts.

Pete

JetSet said:
KyoGrey said:

Eurosport 2 are on air from 12:15 BST in The U.K, so looks like we'll see the entire stage....and loads of adverts.

Pete

Yes, that start time is roughly the same than the one they mentioned in TVE.

TRENDING THREADS