• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 12: Esc.-Engordany Andorra > Lleida 173km

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

Coll de Boixols, 2ª (km 54,3): 1.370 m – 15,8 km – 5,1 %.
Coll de Faidella, np (km 64,4): 1.250 m – 2,3 km – 5 %
Alt de Fontllonga, np (km 118,8): 690 m – 5,4 km – 5,3 %

PROFILKMS.png

Guillén keeps on hating on the sprinters with that long climb in the beginning. The exact same stage was also ridden in 2010. Cavendish won the bunch sprint.

Around 27°C and a mostly (soft) headwind.

Re: 2015 Vuelta stage 12: Esc.-Engordany Andorra > Lleida 17

Flamin said:
The exact same stage was also ridden in 2010. Cavendish won the bunch sprint.
There's a slight change in the finishing line. Straight roundabout at aprox. 750m plus a short ascend/decend of a small narrow bridge for trains (maybe they'll split there?) leading to very fast flat (or a bit uphill, but just a bit) finish. That path can be a bit problematic for a sprint, mainly if wet.

Josh Homme said:
Flamin said:
The exact same stage was also ridden in 2010. Cavendish won the bunch sprint.
There's a slight change in the finishing line. Straight roundabout at aprox. 750m plus a short ascend/decend of a small narrow bridge (for trains) leading to very fast flat (or a bit uphill, but just a bit) finish. That path can be a bit problematic for a sprint, mainly if wet.

Thanks for the info :)

Flamin said:
No probs, I just happen to know the area and will be there :D Google Maps link added. If it's a sprint, it'll be interesting maybe splitting the peloton in 2 through that "bridge" after the roundbout. Although I guess they'll just go right, but it would be a bit narrow for the peloton.

Josh Homme said:
Flamin said:
No probs, I just happen to know the area and will be there :D Google Maps link added. If it's a sprint, it'll be interesting maybe splitting the peloton in 2 through that "bridge" after the roundbout. Although I guess they'll just go right, but it would be a bit narrow for the peloton.

Cool :) don't think that split will be a problem though.

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Good design for a "flat" stage.
Opportunities for a range of riders and the sprinters will likely have to work for more than 400 meters.

Going with one of the Poppels.

Well Boy is poor in relation to brother Danny as per usual, and I'm not sure what's going on with Danny at the moment.

I thought he came into this in good shape, but he's yet to contest a sprint and even went in a breakaway the other day. All very strange. It would be good if anyone could enlighten us as to what's going on with Danny at the moment. I asked the other day but got no response.

Re: Re:

Orbit501 said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Good design for a "flat" stage.
Opportunities for a range of riders and the sprinters will likely have to work for more than 400 meters.

Going with one of the Poppels.

Well Boy is poor in relation to brother Danny as per usual, and I'm not sure what's going on with Danny at the moment.

I thought he came into this in good shape, but he's yet to contest a sprint and even went in a breakaway the other day. All very strange. It would be good if anyone could enlighten us as to what's going on with Danny at the moment. I asked the other day but got no response.

Danny is planning to go into the break in the stages where the break has a chance to succeed.

Boy :eek: i mean i have no idea why he is in wt let alone in gt's. he's basically Juraj but without a brother who has the class to deserve his brother by his side

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

manafana said:
so who are the break contenders?

Bilbao/Goncalves

One of them needs to start racking up points for the KOM jersey as backup to Fraile.

I think Cummings will be in the break too. Durasek as well.

Gigs_98 said:
Can anyone explain why the "Alt de Fontllonga" isnt categorized

Not sure but if I'd had to guess I say the organisers would like this to be a sprint stage and didn't want to encourage a strong break by giving away to many mountain points.

Either that or they're copying the Giro and randomly sticking a pin in the profile to decide what gets catagorised.... :eek:

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If one or several teams would be able to race up the mountain at such a pace that Degenkolb and all other sprinters with similar or less climbing skills would be dropped, who would be the favorites in a sprint? And would there be enough riders in that (very much) reduced bunch to have be viable to stay ahead of the gruppetto?

Re:

LPP68! said:
If one or several teams would be able to race up the mountain at such a pace that Degenkolb and all other sprinters with similar or less climbing skills would be dropped, who would be the favorites in a sprint? And would there be enough riders in that (very much) reduced bunch to have be viable to stay ahead of the gruppetto?
That would never happen. Degenkolb is one of the best climbing sprinters in the peloton (and not just of those left in this Vuelta).

If, however, they were to succeed in dropping Degenkolb, my guess is that Valverde would be the fastest (perhaps Gerrans if he isn't dropped as well).

Re:

LPP68! said:

That would be fun but I can't see anyone with the motivation expecially after such a hard day yesterday.

It would be awesome if Astana decided to go all "Giro '15" and drive hard up every climb to tire out Dumoulin before the next mountain stage but it isn't going to happen.

BeagRigh said:
Gigs_98 said:
Can anyone explain why the "Alt de Fontllonga" isnt categorized

Not sure but if I'd had to guess I say the organisers would like this to be a sprint stage and didn't want to encourage a strong break by giving away to many mountain points.

Either that or they're copying the Giro and randomly sticking a pin in the profile to decide what gets catagorised.... :eek:

Yeah, well generally the Vuelta categorizes harshest (e.g. only one esp. categorized climb yesterday, in the Tour most would have been)