2015 Vuelta stage 9: Torrevieja > Cumbre del Sol 168.3km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
deValtos said:
This is shaping up to be a really great race. Honestly have no idea who's going to win the overall. I guess stage 11 will probably clear that up though.
I'm thinking it'll be one of:

Tom D
Quintana
Froome

Outside shot for Valverde or Jrod.
If they hold their current form between Tom D and Froome, with the ITT.
 
Froome by far rode the smartest race today. By the time he first attacked, almost everyone had attacked/reacted a couple of times already and gone way in the red with that, whilst he just rode a steady pace and launched his final attacks about 100m too soon

Dumoulin really looked the strongest today
 
Poursuivant said:
All the inuendo about clinic stuff really bores me. its the same every race
The people that one day say one thing another say the contrary.

The pity is for that who cant enjoy this era of cycling, maybe will do in the future, as I enjoyed a lot the past era and now I dont want to see anything about that times.

Today the stage was very good, 4 km cant do more. Of course is not a big stage, nothing is epic, of course, but was a day to enjoy, and some people just dont want to enjoy this sport. Period.

About the stage today the wind in the flat seaside did the stage not so good for climbers.

It is a pity Quintana is young and it i his first time to double Tour-Vuelta, becouse we miss that way the duel between this 2 big champions.
 
OMFG. Just finished watching this on Eurosport Player.

This guy Dumoulin, beating the best in an UPHILL SPRINT? HAhahha.

This finale was extremely exciting. Froome played it well, not letting the explosive riders dictate his pace in the beginning of the climb.

Now, I will consider Tom D one of the favorites for the entire race considering the ITT. And Froome who lost a bit of time earlier I thought was cooked, but turns out he is not in that terrible of a shape after all.
 
I can't stop laughing, I mean wtf? Vuelta: BS parcours but always a great surprise hidden in there.

From Chris Horner sprinting up mountains, Sky f-ing up a 1-2 and letting Cobo take a Vuelta, Velits taking a podium spot, Anton's surreal crash in the leader's jersey. And that's just the past 5 years or so of madness.
 
Re: Re:

del1962 said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
deValtos said:
This is shaping up to be a really great race. Honestly have no idea who's going to win the overall. I guess stage 11 will probably clear that up though.
I'm thinking it'll be one of:

Tom D
Quintana
Froome

Outside shot for Valverde or Jrod.

wouldn't rule out Aru, Majka or Pozzovivo either,
Maybe Aru...can't see it for the other two.
 
Re:

jsem94 said:
I can't stop laughing, I mean wtf? Vuelta: BS parcours but always a great surprise hidden in there.

From Chris Horner sprinting up mountains, Sky f-ing up a 1-2 and letting Cobo take a Vuelta, Velits taking a podium spot, Anton's surreal crash in the leader's jersey. And that's just the past 5 years or so of madness.
I love it, usually more exciting than the TDF and on a par with Giro.
 
Well, Vuelta never disappoints!

Since his transformation Froome has been consistently good on very steep medium-lenght climbs even when not in top form. His ridiculous-looking style seems to be quite effective on them. Still remains to be seen whether it was just a very good day on a climb that suits him well or is he building up some form. I don't believe its possible to build up a new peak so soon after peaking for the Tour, but wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Quintana seems to be on a plateau, neither visibly improving nor declining. Murito-style ramps have never been his strenght, wednesday will say much more about his chances in this Vuelta.

Those who did the Giro look weaker than expected, but should have more room for improvement compared to those coming from the Tour. Although Vuelta not being backloaded lessens the possible advantage from that considerably.

Dumoulin going stronger than anybody expected, but I'll wait for wednesday before calling him a contender.
 
Re:

sir fly said:
This was really entertaining.
Lets see how long will Tom hold on.
I'm sure he fancies his chances now with that time trial.
No he doesn't. Also the Andorra stage with 6 climbs is enough to drop him out of GC contention.

But what the heck. Does it matter? He just won an epic stage and has a few days leader jersey for sure now. It's epic. When is the last time a Dutch rider won a mountain finish in a GT, by being the absolute best (so not an escape like weening, lindeman or boogerd)?? It's crazy. And then from Dumoulin of all of the dutch riders. :eek:


I'm absolutely flabbergasted that he can win against Froome, Rodriguez, Quintana, Aru, Majka etc on such a finish. There seems to be nothing he cannot do. Only long climbs maybe not.
 
Re:

jsem94 said:
I can't stop laughing, I mean wtf? Vuelta: BS parcours but always a great surprise hidden in there.

From Chris Horner sprinting up mountains, Sky f-ing up a 1-2 and letting Cobo take a Vuelta, Velits taking a podium spot, Anton's surreal crash in the leader's jersey. And that's just the past 5 years or so of madness.
It's a joke of a race, albeit a very entertaining one

Just so glad Rodriguez didn't win today. Didn't put his nose in the wind till 250 to go
 
Re:

TMP402 said:
Wow people happy Froome lost after that perfomance.
Getting greedy, do we! :) Leaving everything else aside, the way he completely ignored the flow of the race early on the climb only to come back later and sprint past everybody on the steep ramps in the last km, is the textbook example of powermeter-based racing, which has even more haters here than Froome and Sky themselves.
 
Re: Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Flamin said:
That was hands down the most awesome 4 km of the year.
And some guys, inclusive me, turned in at the right time, 4 kms from the finish...
Condolences to those who suffered trou the rest of the stage. :D
Well this was the 3rd stage I missed of the Vuelta. The first I missed Dumoulin took red, the 2nd stage I missed Lindeman won and today... well f*ck me I guess.
The last 2 stages I would've been standing shouting at the tele with a heartbeat of 200 if I had seen it live. Now I knew the results before watching and I still got an raised heartbeat.
I'm so happy Dumoulin won this crazy 4km final which was just absurd so good. I'm so bummed that I didn't see it live though......
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
1
0
Re: Re:

postmanhat said:
jsem94 said:
I can't stop laughing, I mean wtf? Vuelta: BS parcours but always a great surprise hidden in there.

From Chris Horner sprinting up mountains, Sky f-ing up a 1-2 and letting Cobo take a Vuelta, Velits taking a podium spot, Anton's surreal crash in the leader's jersey. And that's just the past 5 years or so of madness.
It's a joke of a race, albeit a very entertaining one

Just so glad Rodriguez didn't win today. Didn't put his nose in the wind till 250 to go
That's called specialism. Imagine Cav would start to sprint with 600 meters to go.
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
sir fly said:
This was really entertaining.
Lets see how long will Tom hold on.
I'm sure he fancies his chances now with that time trial.
No he doesn't. Also the Andorra stage with 6 climbs is enough to drop him out of GC contention.

But what the heck. Does it matter? He just won an epic stage and has a few days leader jersey for sure now. It's epic. When is the last time a Dutch rider won a mountain finish in a GT, by being the absolute best (so not an escape like weening, lindeman or boogerd)?? It's crazy. And then from Dumoulin of all of the dutch riders. :eek:


I'm absolutely flabbergasted that he can win against Froome, Rodriguez, Quintana, Aru, Majka etc on such a finish. There seems to be nothing he cannot do. Only long climbs maybe not.
Overall victory probably is a tall order, you're right, but he'll put minutes in climbers in the itt, so why not dream big?
I really can see him fighting for the top 10 from where he's now.
 
Re: Re:

Põhja Konn said:
TMP402 said:
Wow people happy Froome lost after that perfomance.
Getting greedy, do we! :) Leaving everything else aside, the way he completely ignored the flow of the race early on the climb only to come back later and sprint past everybody on the steep ramps in the last km, is the textbook example of powermeter-based racing, which has even more haters here than Froome and Sky themselves.
Nothing can possibly have more haters than Froome and Sky on this forum :p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY