• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 9: Torrevieja > Cumbre del Sol 168.3km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Põhja Konn said:
TMP402 said:
Wow people happy Froome lost after that perfomance.

Getting greedy, do we! :) Leaving everything else aside, the way he completely ignored the flow of the race early on the climb only to come back later and sprint past everybody on the steep ramps in the last km, is the textbook example of powermeter-based racing, which has even more haters here than Froome and Sky themselves.

Nothing can possibly have more haters than Froome and Sky on this forum :p

Yes, it would be better if he wasn't racing as he's not an attacking rider and isn't entertaining :rolleyes:

sir fly said:
Overall victory probably is a tall order, you're right, but he'll put minutes in climbers in the itt, so why not dream big?
I really can see him fighting for the top 10 from where he's now.
Dumoulin is not interested in a top 10 in a GT. He really isn't. Only podium or winning would keep him trying. If he's outside of a shot on the podium he'll drop purposely and save strength for the ITT.
This guy is a winner, or at least somebody only interested in winning. He's way different from Gesink and Mollema etc

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
sir fly said:
Overall victory probably is a tall order, you're right, but he'll put minutes in climbers in the itt, so why not dream big?
Dumoulin is not interested in a top 10 in a GT. He really isn't. Only podium or winning would keep him trying. If he's outside of a shot on the podium he'll drop purposely and save strength for the ITT.
This guy is a winner, or at least somebody only interested in winning. He's way different from Gesink and Mollema etc

Correct. See the interview in the Dumoulin topic.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FYI: Standings are corrected...
Valv +28 on stage, now 6th CG instead of 5th...

And btw, funny thing he was the lone rider in the T-20 whose time needed a correction. Who´d have thought? ;)

Pricey_sky said:
Arnout said:
So what about Quintana? He sure looks different than in the Tour, unable to really hold any kind of pace.

He's never done back to back GT's before so it's impossible to predict how he will go. He doesn't look like he's got that extra little kick at the moment which is obviously Tour fatigue.
Or he doesn't like the punchy stuff!!
He has never excelled in this kind of climbs. Hope is not fatigue.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
sir fly said:
Yeah, Kwibus has already informed me about Dumoulin's attitude, and I hope he'll honour the jersey with an epic effort on the Wednesday.

Kwibus said:
sir fly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
sir fly said:
This was really entertaining.
Lets see how long will Tom hold on.
I'm sure he fancies his chances now with that time trial.
No he doesn't. Also the Andorra stage with 6 climbs is enough to drop him out of GC contention.

But what the heck. Does it matter? He just won an epic stage and has a few days leader jersey for sure now. It's epic. When is the last time a Dutch rider won a mountain finish in a GT, by being the absolute best (so not an escape like weening, lindeman or boogerd)?? It's crazy. And then from Dumoulin of all of the dutch riders. :eek:

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that he can win against Froome, Rodriguez, Quintana, Aru, Majka etc on such a finish. There seems to be nothing he cannot do. Only long climbs maybe not.

He doesn't care about riding a top 10. If it's a podium spot I'm sure he will care, but not for 7th. That's just something he can't care about.

Whoa, is Dumoulin too big to ride for secondary placings already?

I fully agree that Dumoulin won't become a rider to ride for minor placings in GT's, but at this point in his career a top 10 in the Vuelta is a very good result and I'm certain that he won't give up say a 5th place even if the win or even the podium has slipped.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

Bushman said:

I fully agree that Dumoulin won't become a rider to ride for minor placings in GT's, but at this point in his career a top 10 in the Vuelta is a very good result and I'm certain that he won't give up say a 5th place even if the win or even the podium has slipped.

A podium at the Vuelta, with a shot at winning a GT, is worth going for. But, I would suggest that a TT world championship would be of 'higher' value than a Vuelta top 10.

BigMac said:
Kwibus said:
BigMac said:
Paulinho: ''Today I lost all my toe nails.''

Explain? Hope this didn't really happen... because that's horrific :/

Haha, sorry, no. It means it was a really though day on the bike. I should know this literal translations never go very well. :D

I thought I shouldn't take it literal, but I wanted to be sure. Because if I had to take it literal then it was really god awful :D

Amsterhammer said:
Bushman said:

A podium at the Vuelta, with a shot at winning a GT, is worth going for. But, I would suggest that a TT world championship would be of 'higher' value than a Vuelta top 10.

Well, that shouldn't even be questionable.

Bushman said:
Kwibus said:
sir fly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
sir fly said:
This was really entertaining.
Lets see how long will Tom hold on.
I'm sure he fancies his chances now with that time trial.
No he doesn't. Also the Andorra stage with 6 climbs is enough to drop him out of GC contention.

But what the heck. Does it matter? He just won an epic stage and has a few days leader jersey for sure now. It's epic. When is the last time a Dutch rider won a mountain finish in a GT, by being the absolute best (so not an escape like weening, lindeman or boogerd)?? It's crazy. And then from Dumoulin of all of the dutch riders. :eek:

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that he can win against Froome, Rodriguez, Quintana, Aru, Majka etc on such a finish. There seems to be nothing he cannot do. Only long climbs maybe not.

He doesn't care about riding a top 10. If it's a podium spot I'm sure he will care, but not for 7th. That's just something he can't care about.

He's not too big, but he said he doesn't really care about it. He cares more about getting a stage win. Grab the leaders jersey and TT at the end, but if he's 5th after Andorra then he will unlikely just let it go. That would be ridiculous ofcourse, but he won't mourn losing a top 10 GC placing. A top 10 placing isn't something he aims at and probably doesn't feel much from getting an 7th placing.

Amsterhammer said:
Bushman said:

Tom is also realistic regarding the WC TT. It's very important for him, but he also knows that the Worlds TT course isn't made for him, but someone like Tony Martin since it's not technical and flat. Also Rohan Dennis(allthough unproven on long distances) might be more suited for that.

Amsterhammer said:
Bushman said:

I kind of agree, but I believe it's quite difficult to make such a decision. Say Dumoulin is in 5th place on gc with one week to go: are you really gonna throw away two weeks of hard work "just" to have those extra 2 or 3 or maybe 5 percent for the worlds? I dont believe Dumoulin at this point in his career can make such a decision.

Huge win. Huge. As far as GC speculations for Dumoulin, it's way too early to call IMO. Nice to see Valverde on the attack. Dawg looked bad through most of the climb but fought back hard. I thought Purito was in great position: with one kilometer left, I liked his chances. Great stage finish with fireworks all over.