• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 4 Catanzaro – Praia a Mare 200km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

jens_attacks said:
SeriousSam said:
Can't wait for Thursday and the first indication as to how everyone's climbing.

i'm afraid you have to wait until next week, on friday :eek:

saturday, on alpe di poti if we are really, really lucky.

I'm just looking for a first indication

T06_Roccaraso_alt-PRE.jpg

In conjunction with close-up shots of the riders' faces so we can pick up any suffering they're going through, I'm confident a stage with this profile will give us that.

Broccolidwarf said:
Red Rick said:
Fuglsang is always very agressive if he gets a chance to ride for himself. Usually he doesn't have a lot of pop on his attacks though, so he ends up doing the damage but never winning

Point is he looks stronger than ever - and that it seems he is not bound completely to Nibali, like he has been the last 2 years.

In 2014 he had his own chances as well, but he got sick and then he crashed in the Chamrousse-stage if I remember correctly..

Last year he cracked on Tourmalet after Nibali had cracked on PSM.

But you are right, he looks extremely strong.

SeriousSam said:
jens_attacks said:
SeriousSam said:
Can't wait for Thursday and the first indication as to how everyone's climbing.

i'm afraid you have to wait until next week, on friday :eek:

saturday, on alpe di poti if we are really, really lucky.

I'm just looking for a first indication

T06_Roccaraso_alt-PRE.jpg

In conjunction with close-up shots of the riders' faces so we can pick up any suffering they're going through, I'm confident a stage with this profile will give us that.

Though not at Quintana level, Nibali has a good poker face. Watch if he breathes through his nose then he might be TdF '14 shape. Anyway he is very skinny, definitely ideal race weight for him while Landa appears a bit chubby and downright fat for Sky standards.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
My prediction for top 5, after seeing them go up hill a bit:

Landa
Majka
Valverde
Dumoulin
Fuglsang

Surely that's not just based on today, else Lands wouldn't win and Majka wouldn't be second, and Nibali in the top 5. Based on today Fugslang should win with Bala and Nibali just behind. Fugslang to top5 with Nibali winning.

Taxus4a said:
Jspear said:
Taxus4a said:
Krokro said:
Krokro said:
For this stage I would bet a good fast puncher like Ulissi or Colbrelli as well. Navardauskas would do great on that kind of terrain but his form looks not that good. Less probably but Chaves or Valverde to try something in the 18% ?
I don't see Kittel or any real sprinter getting it. It will ofc depend on the prloton pace as well.

:cool:

+1 Nibali or Valverde look sharper than Landa. We will see in high mountains if it's still the case.
Good surprises : Kruijswijk / Chaves / Dumoulin
Bad : Landa positioning, Majka ?

They are not sharper than Landa, Landa did a very good ITT for his capacity, but in the past Landa could won in Neila orr Bondone, but he lost big time in stages like today. He didnt lost time, and he dont have such a big team as Nibali, so it is ok. If Landa dont lose tome in thiss kind of stages he is day by day more favourite. He can get big time in a really hard stage. They need to put Landa at 15 minutes to dont worry about him...

And you wonder why some say you don't know much about cycling. ;)
To dont worry about a rider maybe itis always half an hour, you can ask to Pereiro...

How Mych Hesjedal recover instead the continious pace of Astana or Saxo llast year?

Landa is that kind of rider that can get lot of time in a mountain stage if you let him go...

There are some stages where he can put lot of time, but it would be normal if he losetome in other kind of stages, not just ITT.

I know what I know about cycling, I dont mind what you think, I just want to saw people how this sport works out, becoue here mosst of the people is under 30...

The bold: Aye, but how often does this happen?

I'm not sure what your 2nd sentence means...are you saying Hesjedal was able to claw back a lot of lost time in the 3rd week of the Giro, and if he could do that Landa could do much more? If so, it isn't the best comparison.

Hesjedal was hardly in the minds of Aru and AC last year. He was given more leeway.

In this Giro Landa is one of the top favorites (imo he will win). If Nibali and company have good form, they aren't going to just let Landa ride away. He will be a very marked man. He needs to do his best to not lose 15 minutes....he won't get that sort of time back on Nibali. Landa isn't some outsider (like Hesjedal or Pereiro) that you willingly let go up the road.

Brullnux said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Landa
Majka
Valverde
Dumoulin
Fuglsang

Surely that's not just based on today, else Lands wouldn't win and Majka wouldn't be second, and Nibali in the top 5. Based on today Fugslang should win with Bala and Nibali just behind. Fugslang to top5 with Nibali winning.

I am looking at how they look on the bike, in the climbs, and how they positioned themselves in the peloton today... not how they finished the stage.... obviously.

I do not think Nibali has it currently

Broccolidwarf said:
Red Rick said:
Fuglsang is always very agressive if he gets a chance to ride for himself. Usually he doesn't have a lot of pop on his attacks though, so he ends up doing the damage but never winning

Point is he looks stronger than ever - and that it seems he is not bound completely to Nibali, like he has been the last 2 years.

I didn't see anything specific that made me think "oooo Fuglsang is really strong this year". He is supposed to be where we've seen him today and I'm sure that once the going gets reallll tough in the high mountains that he will lose time eventually.

Kwibus said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Red Rick said:

I didn't see anything specific that made me think "oooo Fuglsang is really strong this year". He is supposed to be where we've seen him today and I'm sure that once the going gets reallll tough in the high mountains that he will lose time eventually.

Thats funny, I don't think he looks much stronger than he used to, but apparently all the Danish experts and commentators are of the beliefs that this is Fuglsang's year. Like it is every year...

Nationalism is one of the worst traits, both on this forum, in politics and in sports. It can really ruin a broadcast for me when the hype is getting too real, its disgusting frankly.

Broccolidwarf said:
Brullnux said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Landa
Majka
Valverde
Dumoulin
Fuglsang

I am looking at how they look on the bike, in the climbs, and how they positioned themselves in the peloton today... not how they finished the stage.... obviously.

I do not think Nibali has it currently

Exactly... Landa was the worst of all the things you mentioned. Nibali may not have it but he did nothing today to suggest that.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
The way Birdsong rode today, I see him finishing the Giro top 5... he is looking very strong, and unusually aggressive

He was ordered to hit the front by Martinelli, Landa was in trouble...

Valv.Piti said:
Kwibus said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Red Rick said:

Thats funny, I don't think he looks much stronger than he used to, but apparently all the Danish experts and commentators are of the beliefs that this is Fuglsang's year. Like it is every year...

Nationalism is one of the worst traits, both on this forum, in politics and in sports. It can really ruin a broadcast for me when the hype is getting too real, its disgusting frankly.

As a dutch person I agree with you 100%

Different types of nationalism. You can be happy when a compatriot wins, just as you can be proud of the country you live in. However, it starts getting *** up when you see your country as 'better' than another one. Or when it makes somebody more relevant or important. Or when they see a reality that isn't there.

That said, Dumoulin and Kruiswijk are totally gonna 1-2 this Giro

The Giro has begun :) A very impressive ride by Ulissi and intelligent teamwork. As expected, Astana was very strong. Kruijswijk has come into this Giro very strong and we all know from last year that his recovery is great. Tommy D looking good to rob Alex of his expected bonus seconds. Sky and Landa looking fragile. Nico did a good job to rescue them though. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Anyone who has some inside on Preidler? I don't have any clue about him.
He had some pretty impressive results but never won anything big. In 2014 there was a giro stage which was expected to go to the break but the peloton chased and the break got caught on the final climb. On that final climb Arredondo attacked and caught the break in which Preidler was. Then Arredondo tried to attack the remaining break but he wasnt able to drop Preidler for quite some time while all the other break away members dropped immediately. If the stage would have been for the break as expected, he definitely would have won.
In the Plateau de Beille stage in the tour last year he was in a break with Kwiat and someone else (a break which later got caught by some chasers including Purito who won) but Preidler got a bee sting which affected him very badly so he wasnt able to follow anymore. I didnt watch the stage and don't know if he would have had a chance to win at least he could have gotten a bit more attention that day.
Today I think he was in the break with Ulissi and wasnt able to follow him (he was still dropping the likes of Wellens though). He seems to be in good shape and can maybe fight for a stage in the mountains as soon as he is allowed to go into breaks, but I wouldnt expect anything more.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Different types of nationalism. You can be happy when a compatriot wins, just as you can be proud of the country you live in. However, it starts getting **** up when you see your country as 'better' than another one. Or when it makes somebody more relevant or important. Or when they see a reality that isn't there.

Thats exactly what I mean, its so annoying, I just wan't to see Giro d' Italia, not Giro d' Denmark featuring Fuglsang and Bak..

Giggs: Thanks.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Different types of nationalism. You can be happy when a compatriot wins, just as you can be proud of the country you live in. However, it starts getting **** up when you see your country as 'better' than another one. Or when it makes somebody more relevant or important. Or when they see a reality that isn't there.

Thats exactly what I mean, its so annoying, I just wan't to see Giro d' Italia, not Giro d' Denmark featuring Fuglsang and Bak..

Try watching the Tour on NOS with 'Where is Gesink!?!?!?!' -commentator Dijkstra. Ugh.

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

That being said, Fuglsang did do well today, and if he continues to ride like that, he might become an important player in deciding who wins this race

Unfortunatly, I don't have the luxury of Rolf & Ritter commentary this year :(

Hedebooo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

That being said, Fuglsang did do well today, and if he continues to ride like that, he might become an important player in deciding who wins this race

Unfortunatly, I don't have the luxury of Rolf & Ritter commentary this year :(

Fuglsang does indeed look strong, all I ask for is just to tone the the hype a bit down. If you didn't know cycling, you would think Fuglsang was the favourite almost. Its not as bad in the actual commentary, but the pre- and aftersets (is that what its called?) is the biggest problem IMO.

I enjoy listening to Rolf and Ritter as well for the most part, they are very good.

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

jens_attacks said:
Txrt said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Txrt said:
10€ for 100 on Ulissi. **** hell I thought he would be caught with 6kms left. Thank god they left one Bardiani guy do all the work until almost the last km.
Smart bet, congrats.
Thank you.

We have a small betting company in the Basque Country called Kiroljokoa, which I only use to bet on cycling. As there's obviously a huge fandom for cycling over here, they have almost every race, and from very early; odds are good, and they are a bit slow in reacting. Today for example the first time I saw Ulissi on the break, he was still at 9/1. I bet 10€ thinking they'd close to change odds, but nah, it worked well. I tried to put extra 10 after the first one, and it didn't let me that time.

With 6km to go, I put 10 in Colbrelli in case they catched him at 13/1. I shouldn't have, apparently ahahah.

congrats!

can i bet from outside the euskadi too? :D
Hahahah. It was only Euskadi at first, then some other provinces in Spain... It'll get to you, as long as you're not too far.

TRENDING THREADS