• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 7 Sulmona – Foligno 211 km

Who will win Stage 7?

• Breakaway Rider

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Marcel Kittel

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Andre Greipel

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Sacha Modolo

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Moreno Hofland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Stage 7: Sulmona – Foligno 211 km

Stage start: 12.55 CET, 13 May

T07_Foligno_alt-PRE.jpg

3ubPPO9.jpg

Technical Overview:
Transitional stage before the second weekend. The breakaway of the day will be formed on the first climb of the stage, Le Svolte di Popoli (9 km at 5.5%, GPM2), which comes after just 11 km from the start. The climb leads to a plateau featuring mainly false flats, along with the first intermediate sprint in L'Aquila. After the easy climb and descent of Sella di Como there are almost 70 km of flattish terrain, that finish with the second and final climb of the day, Valico della Somma (6.7 km at 4.9%, GPM4), which tops at 41 km to go. The first 11 going slightly downhill to the second intermediate sprint of Spoleto, and then the last 30 km totally flat. The finish is a bit tricky for a sprint stage, with 2 dangerous bends just across the red triangle mark.

T07_Foligno_ukm-PRE.jpg

cEqD9XB.jpg

The Climbs:

Le Svolte di Popoli GPM2
This climb should not be GPM2, to be honest. I guess the organizers want to make it worth more KOM points in order to provide an incentive for the breakaway... No official profile for this climb, but we have Cyclingcols.com
CapoDiValleS.gif

Valico della Somma GPM4
This climb has been used the last time the Giro went to Foligno, in 2014. It is really nothing special. In fact, the organizers do not provide a profile for this one as well. But we have Salite.ch
BsQt5Fd.gif

What to expect:
This is good for a breakaway, but it depends on how ambitious are the sprinter teams. Even pure sprinters could survive a slow pace on the last climb, so if the peloton keeps the breakaway in check, this should come down to a bunch sprint.

Foligno.jpg

Re:

Laplaz said:
Andre Greipel for me without many doubts.

He was given safe passage two stages ago, but I don't think Lotto has the team to give Greipel the leg-up to make it easy. Not like Etixx. So while I can't imagine any individual out sprinting him, I can see the field denying him a chance to win.

Even if I had money, I would not be betting on this stage.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
classicomano said:
Tim Wellens: Of all the favorites, id like the most to see Dumoulin win. And if we can do something to help in return after yesterday, we won hesitate to do so.

Will he now get awkward looks from Monfort in the team bus?

Reminds me of Antón helping Contador going flat out on Mortirolo when he had Amador down/a little up the road. I had fired him immediately.

TRENDING THREADS