• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 8 Foligno – Arezzo 186 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

bassano said:
I am wonder where is everyone with that bold declarations about strong Dumoulin going to giro podium and Landa with Nibali done Valverde looking bad etc etc

I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL

They must be hiding along with those guys whose great racing insight made them foresee that Fulgsang would be Astana's leader as Nibali is cooked. :D

Never seen Valverde so agressive. He tortured everyone of the others contenders today. He looked amazing. Id wish he rode that way many other times. By the way, how many stages could have won Valverde in this Giro so far if Movistar had worked properly? Todays for sure.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
StephenC2020 said:
saganftw said:
zakarin in pink tomorrow

Try again :p

Why not? He has to be favourite to take pink tomorrow

I don't think so. It's a rolling, technical TT, lots of ups and downs, lot of breaking and accelerating again. Kind of stuff that Nibali and Valverde likes. Zakarin is technically pretty weak, I don't expect great result from him

Re:

Fernandez said:
Never seen Valverde so agressive. He tortured everyone of the others contenders today. He looked amazing. Id wish he rode that way many other times. By the way, how many stages could have won Valverde in this Giro so far if Movistar had worked properly? Todays for sure.

Given that he never got a gap except for that first burst, and the group was always large, it wasn't that impressive. It was good to see him being aggressive, but that doesn't mean he is on a different level than the other GC riders

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Forever The Best said:
Good day of racing.Valverde and Nibali may regret not attacking in the descent though.Nibali is still the favourite though.Zakarin,Landa and Kruiswijk today's winners in my opinion.
Also awesome ride and victory by Brambilla :)
They did attack on the descent, with Chavez. They couldn't make it stick, that happens sometimes.
They went very late though, but still there was a gap when they went and then something happened and the others were quickly back.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Jagartrott said:
Seeing Zakarin at the head of the chasing group zero times while he had most to gain from getting time back from Brambilla was, well, mindboggling.
Getting the pink jersey right now is probably not his top priority.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
He also changed his tune and said he would be ride for GC a few days ago.

Anyway, I don't think it's that complicated. He obviously wanted to show up in good shape to go for the TTs but likely didn't forego any TT training in favor of a bunch of mountain climbing which he might have done if he was 100% GC focused.

I figure he just did similar training to what he did last year which wound up serving him well in the Vuelta. He knew in the back of his mind he would have a good chance of being in pink at some point and probably secretly hoped he might have a podium shot with the race having 3 TTs but he wanted to play down that possibility to keep the pressure off. He was never going to sacrifice GC to focus on stage wins.

In other words, I don't think he was ever going specifically for GC but I also don't believe he started with no intent of going for GC

TRENDING THREADS