• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 9: Chianti ITT, 40.5 km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is gonna take the jersey?

• Brambilla will keep it

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Kruijswijk

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Valverde

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Nibali

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Chaves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uran

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Domoulin

Votes: 29 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be nice if Jungels could take over the jersey on Tuesday. He's still only 23! I wonder if he can make the GC top 10.

For the final victory it remains very open. Kruijswijk, Landa and Majka are still in the mix. It's not just between Nibali and Valverde. Will Amador have to sacrifice himself or will Movistar play with two leaders?

If people are going to throw around insinuations about TT performances, it's funny Roglic isn't catching more flak. In the last year he's been beaten by the likes of Nathan Earle and Max Richeze, and had never had a top 15 in an ITT more than 4km long.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It would be nice if Jungels could take over the jersey on Tuesday. He's still only 23! I wonder if he can make the GC top 10.

For the final victory it remains very open. Kruijswijk, Landa and Majka are still in the mix. It's not just between Nibali and Valverde. Will Amador have to sacrifice himself or will Movistar play with two leaders?

Jungels will be dropped on the first serious mountain finish. Around 15th I think is possible for him in the GC, but a top 10 placing seems far fetched.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
jaylew said:
LaFlorecita said:
hrotha said:
What a pointless ITT. Horrible.
+1

So sad for Zaka, damn that was shitty :( he can probably forget about the win now :(
Happy Brambilla kept pink.
Shocking result for Uran.
To be fair, he did crash, though he still didn't appear to be going too well.
Oh did he? I missed that
Me too, I only read about some posts which said that he definitely crashed because thats the only explanation for such a disadvantage. But afaik he was already very far behind at the first time check so I don't think thats the case. (Still possible though that I really just missed the crash)

hrotha said:
hfer07 said:
looks like we're about to witness one of the best Giros in recent history :D
A GC where no one needs to take serious time on anyone is usually not a recipe for great racing.

that's precisely the point - all the ones whose ITT performance left them down on the GC will be eager to be aggressive to climb back up while Nibali, Valverde & Landa get to mark each other. I think is wide open until the next MTT.

Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
jaylew said:
LaFlorecita said:
hrotha said:
What a pointless ITT. Horrible.
+1

So sad for Zaka, damn that was shitty :( he can probably forget about the win now :(
Happy Brambilla kept pink.
Shocking result for Uran.
To be fair, he did crash, though he still didn't appear to be going too well.
Oh did he? I missed that
Me too, I only read about some posts which said that he definitely crashed because thats the only explanation for such a disadvantage. But afaik he was already very far behind at the first time check so I don't think thats the case. (Still possible though that I really just missed the crash)
I think we all missed it but Uran said he crashed and you could see his kit ripped.

Re:

Red Rick said:
On a parcours like this, where you want climbers to go from far out, the tt(s) should be flat and not technical. Now, apart from crashes, it accomplished nothing.
Today was more about getting through the turns without crashing and less about power - thanks to the rain most of all. Ideally a flat and easy time trial would create bigger gaps to the pure climbers, but I refuse to believe that a stage like today would not have caused bigger distance between Nibali and Landa, had there not been rain.

hfer07 said:
hrotha said:
hfer07 said:
A GC where no one needs to take serious time on anyone is usually not a recipe for great racing.

that's precisely the point - all the ones whose ITT performance left them down on the GC will be eager to be aggressive to climb back up while Nibali, Valverde & Landa get to mark each other. I think is wide open until the next MTT.

It would've been much better for the race if either Landa or Nibali had had as shocking first week or TT. Now everyone is marking everyone. Only Hesjedal and Firsanov will be allowed to attack and take time, maybe Uran, Chavez and Pozzo too. Zakarin won't be allowed, Majka won't, Landa won't, Bala won't, Nibali won't and Kruijswijk won't. I don't really expect Uran, Chavez and Pozzo to be either. No one will attack from afar because they don't need to. If someone was behind by 4-5 minutes then they could've attacked from 50km out because they needed to. No they are all within 2 minutes, most of them will back themselves to follow wheels and ride into top-5 places or a podium.

hfer07 said:
hrotha said:
hfer07 said:

Unfortunately I have to completely agree. Stages 13 and 14 are very hard but if you attack there is a big risk of spending a lot of energy but gaining little or even no time. Therefore we will probably not know who the best climber is before the MTT. Maybe Hesjedal, Chaves, Uran, Pozzo or Zakarin will try something but they neither have a really huge disadvantage (Zakarin for example is still only 1:20 behind the first gc guy) nor do we know if they are all strong enough to really do a dangerous attack. Moreover after today I doubt that Zakarin will attack on a stage which ends with a descent :D

Edit: I see Brullnux wrote basically the same post 5 minutes earlier :D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Poursuivant said:
murali said:
Jungels missed GC by a sec :(

i was pretty sure he would take the lead. didnt expect rain to play spoilsport though

Brambilla might "donate" it.

Why would Bramb donate it? Brambilla gets Etixx more money by being in pink than some random ass Luxembourg guy.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Gloin22 said:
Poursuivant said:
murali said:
Jungels missed GC by a sec :(

i was pretty sure he would take the lead. didnt expect rain to play spoilsport though

Brambilla might "donate" it.

Why would Bramb donate it? Brambilla gets Etixx more money by being in pink than some random *** Luxembourg guy.
And Brambilla outclimbing him wouldn't be a huge surprise. I don't have high hopes for Jungels to finish in the top 10, there are too many guys who should wreck him in the high mountains.

Zakarin bike handling is atrocius. Way worse than Froomey. He's all over the place.
Superb effort from Brambilla and Jungels. In normal conditions I think Jungels would have won it.
I expected more from Chavito.
Igor Anton will ride an anonymously top 20. Zubeldia-like.

Ryo Hazuki said:
gunara said:
dacooley said:
any sky rider doing well = no justice in the world lol. grande landa :)

But it's almost true. Sky just do everything right, they fix every weakness in no time, in a sport where most others struggle to just maintain one single good thing.
exactly, just look at riders like dombrowski, kiriyenka, boasson hagen, lovkvist, edmondson, kennaugh, nieve, konig. all started really flying at sky :rolleyes:

tbf kiriyenka did win the world ITT

bassano said:
Mr.White said:
staubsauger said:
whittashau said:
lol Nibali slower than Landa. What a joke
The true joke is that Nibali won 3 gt's.
Andy Hampsten's Giro win is more worth than any of Nibali's gt achievements!

Yeah, only to you and Hampsten. What a nonsense!

Yeah, someone like him really should not be allowed to post here, he can heal his complexes somewhere else
Yeah. Because beating Mosquera, Uran and Peraud is that much bigger than beating Breukink and Zimmerman! :eek:

There's something called hyperbole as well! :rolleyes:

It might just be that Zakarin's bike handling is very weak and that his first crash and following bike change took away his focus but his crash in the final turn led me to wonder if he had done a recon of the stage. He took the turn as if it was a 90 degree turn and then halfway through he realised that the turn was much sharper than he had anticipated which led him to oversteer and subsequently crash.

It might just be because he was all over the place mentally but it looked like an amateurish mistake that could have been avoided fairly easily even if his handling isnt too good

TRENDING THREADS