• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Samamba said:
Lotto Soudal:

Lars Bak (Den)
Sean De Bie (Bel)
André Greipel (Dui)
Adam Hansen (Aus)
Pim Ligthart (Ned)
Maxime Monfort (Bel)
Jürgen Roelandts (Bel)
Jelle Vanendert (Bel)
Tim Wellens (Bel)
Call me crazy, but I think that Tim Wellens could finish in the top 10, the hilly/medium mountain stages and the 3 TTs are good for him, even the MTT (in the brutal Monte Grappa ITT he finished in the top 10), he just has to limit the damage in the high Mountains.

Wellens shouldn't bother with going for GC in a GT untill he loses the babyfat.

Gloin22 said:
liamito said:
Rein Taaramäe ‏@ReinTaarame
Happy with my own performance today. But i am not eaven close to top condition jet, all is calculated for last part of giro! very confident!

Does Rein have the same calculators as Zaka :confused:

They're both coming as leaders yes, nothing wrong with that, Katusha doesn't have to do any work they'll just ride for themselves.

I mean the training schedule, not their roles in the team.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

GP Blanco said:
Giant Alpecin
Nikias Arndt (GER)
Bert De Backer (BEL)
Tom Dumoulin (NED)
Chad Haga (USA)
Cheng Ji (CHN)
Tobias Ludvigsson (SWE)
Georg Preidler (AUT)
Tom Stamsnijder (NED)
Albert Timmer (NED)

Their aim is winning stages. Dumoulin for the TT's, Arndt for the sprints (although he won't have much changes to win if you look at the field), Haga, Ludvigson and Preidler can do what they want at the hilly stages.

This clearly shows Dumoulin won't target the GC looking at the team they field.
And Cheng Ji will fight for the Maglia Nera. :D
They really should bring it back, the rule that only allows them to have 4 jerseys is kinda lame.

Re:

SafeBet said:
He's got Ferrari as a leadout. He's not a top tier sprint so you can't dedicate a full train to him.
For once, I think Lampre's team makes sense. Lots of stage hunters plus Niemec for a possible top10 in GC.

I think it's a total mess, you can't really tell the purpose. They're not backing Niemiec for GC and they're not well comited to Sacha as he'll be left only with Ferrari who's not that special a leadout anyway, even worse if compared to Ariel whom they had last year. This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
GP Blanco said:
Giant Alpecin
Nikias Arndt (GER)
Bert De Backer (BEL)
Tom Dumoulin (NED)
Chad Haga (USA)
Cheng Ji (CHN)
Tobias Ludvigsson (SWE)
Georg Preidler (AUT)
Tom Stamsnijder (NED)
Albert Timmer (NED)

Their aim is winning stages. Dumoulin for the TT's, Arndt for the sprints (although he won't have much changes to win if you look at the field), Haga, Ludvigson and Preidler can do what they want at the hilly stages.

This clearly shows Dumoulin won't target the GC looking at the team they field.
And Cheng Ji will fight for the Maglia Nera. :D
They really should bring it back, the rule that only allows them to have 4 jerseys is kinda lame.

The time-honoured traditions of hiding in bushes and so on would certainly enliven many a flat stage.

But that's the only way to do anything for a team like Lampre. Check their 2015 team, it's very similar and they won 4 stages. They'll be missing Richeze but how could they replace him?
You can't back up Niemec as a GC rider at this point of his career, anything he'll do would be a plus.

BigMac said:
This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.
Isn't "a bit of everything" logical approach for a team that has some decent riders of various specialities, but not a single rider who is one of the very best in his own?

Even the best possible support doesn't make Modolo likely to win stages against Kittel, Greipel, Demare and Viviani. And Niemiec would be even bigger surprise if he managed to finish top5 overall. He is 36 and the last and only time he finished inside top10 of a GT was 3 years ago.

Modolo had something like the Giro of his life lsst year. He certainly was the best sprinter in 2015 and should've won the last stage and the red jersey (Just like Landa should've won the penultimate stage and the blue jersey)!

Modolo certainly ain't gonna repeat that performance this year. It ain't possible against Kittel and possibly even ain't against Demare.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Modolo had something like the Giro of his life lsst year. He certainly was the best sprinter in 2015 and should've won the last stage and the red jersey (Just like Landa should've won the penultimate stage and the blue jersey)!

Modolo certainly ain't gonna repeat that performance this year. It ain't possible against Kittel and possibly even ain't against Demare.

Kittel should leave after a couple of days. Demare is fast but isn't that fast, so Modolo should fancy his chances, as should Viviani. Ewan too, although got outsprinted by Groenwegen yesterday.

BigMac said:
SafeBet said:
He's got Ferrari as a leadout. He's not a top tier sprint so you can't dedicate a full train to him.
For once, I think Lampre's team makes sense. Lots of stage hunters plus Niemec for a possible top10 in GC.

I think it's a total mess, you can't really tell the purpose. They're not backing Niemiec for GC and they're not well comited to Sacha as he'll be left only with Ferrari who's not that special a leadout anyway, even worse if compared to Ariel whom they had last year. This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.
I agree with SafeBet here. Had Lampre had the best sprinter or a potential podium candidate in the GC, they should obviously back that one rider.

But Niemiec should be happy with a top 15 in GC and Modolo has to fight against Kittel, Greipel, Viviani, Demare, Ewan and Nizzolo.

Lampre can't afford to put all their eggs in one basket. They have to do it they way they do and perhaps they'll end up with a top 15 in GC and a stage or two.

TRENDING THREADS