• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 1 to 7

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Re:

nogav1ca said:
That certainly has to be a mistake. Atapuma was about 1:20 behind Talansky before today stage and today he gained a minute on him.

Seems the officials have caught on, PCS has him as third now. Pretty embarrassing when the officials mess up simple arithmetic.

Anderis said:
Bettiol 10th today. :surprised: Holy crap, he is really making a great progress recently. Really an all-rounder.

He seems to have had a lot of benefit riding his first GT. He also was a pretty good climber/hill rider (for a "sprinter") in the Italian U23 scene, often got his results out of (strongly) reduced sprints.

When he was with Garmin I read things like he turned up to races (Tour de Suisse?) with no training for a month, things like that. And he went well at American races and just seemed to do nothing or DNF in Europe.

Wouldn't be surprising if teams remember that. A few hours ago Richard Moore said he had no offers from any WT teams.

Re:

BigMac said:
4JXQUsR.png

They had the wrong guy on the podium in 3rd? What an amateur muck up!

Morton what a beast!!!

Re:

Anderis said:
BMC were trying attacks with multiple riders. Talansky responded by himself to one of those.

Anderis said:
I think it might have been better than burning out his team and risking being isolated later. He doesn't work anyway.

It was somewhat strange. With several guys in the top 10, BMC were playing the numbers game, Atapuma and Eisenhart had been on the attack. Burning out his team (except for Dombrowski) would not have been a problem, since once you get to Empire Pass the rest of the team would not be of any use. I guess Cannondale didn't want to use the let Atapuma hang out to dry tactic, since the breakaway was not that far ahead. When Atapuma and Eisenhart were brought back, Rosskopf attacked and Talansky took matters into his own hands (especially as Costa went as well). Judging by Costa's perfomance on Empire, it was the steepness that beat Talansky and not the fact that he wore himself out in any way by covering Rosskopf (especially as Talansky was the one who did not pull at all - compared to Costa's 5% of time at the front). Meanwhile Morton stays calm and executes his plan perfectly (although having the legs to execute on the Empire pass is by far the biggest factor in determining success).

As usual, Utah delivers.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Wow, Manuel Senni is showing signs of life, he finished 7th on the stage and I think that managed to finish in the top 10 on gc.
Wow...wait, why wow? Who is he? Some long forgotten injury mared great Italian talent?

Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
It was somewhat strange. With several guys in the top 10, BMC were playing the numbers game, Atapuma and Eisenhart had been on the attack. Burning out his team (except for Dombrowski) would not have been a problem, since once you get to Empire Pass the rest of the team would not be of any use.
The problem is- high pace on the flat might have actually burnt Dombrowski, since he isn't good in this kind of racing.
There was also no certainty that Cannondale could hold on all of the attacks until the Empire Pass. If other teams joined BMC's crazy attacks, they could have burnt out when there was still some flat left, making Talansky vulnerable to big time loss.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Perhaps Orica will take him as an extra mountain dom?
I have my doubts OBE will go there. Traditionally their Australian riders have come through the Cycling Australia development programs. If he gets a chance, I suspect it will be with one of the lower budget WT teams.
And it seems they (OBE) have Atapuma in their sights.

Anderis said:
Tank Engine said:
It was somewhat strange. With several guys in the top 10, BMC were playing the numbers game, Atapuma and Eisenhart had been on the attack. Burning out his team (except for Dombrowski) would not have been a problem, since once you get to Empire Pass the rest of the team would not be of any use.
The problem is- high pace on the flat might have actually burnt Dombrowski, since he isn't good in this kind of racing.
There was also no certainty that Cannondale could hold on all of the attacks until the Empire Pass. If other teams joined BMC's crazy attacks, they could have burnt out when there was still some flat left, making Talansky vulnerable to big time loss.

That could well be true. If only Rosskopf had attacked, then Cannondale only really had to keep the gap under control. However, it was reasonable that Talansky should react to attacks by more serious contenders. So when Costa reacted, Talansky followed him. I was initially surprised that Costa had attacked, but I guess that it was an intuituve rather than planned move, since Rosskopf would be a good locomotive to bridge to the escape. The strange thing about the whole situation was mostly that Rosskopf did drag them up to the break with Costa only doing a couple of turns to finally close the gap.

In the end, I don't think that interlude made any change in the final result. Rather, it just made it marginally easier for Morton to achieve his goals, as the Rosskopf attack was neutralised and Morton did not expend any unnecessary energy at all before the final climb (unlike the other 3 of the top 4).

PeterB said:
BigMac said:
Let's pretend that was the stage podium. :)
As far as I could tell that actually was the stage podium. Oddly enough they did not show the podium ceremony of top three overall.

You're correct it was the stage podium since Morton isn't in yellow :).

There is one pic from the 27 on CN that shows Talansky with Morton and champagne but none of the final podium.

Morton is a flight risk - He needs to join a European based PCT team for a year or two, to prove he can live in Europe - Then he may possibly join a WT.

Doubt very much OBE will have any interest in Morton - Doubt OBE will take any young Aussie riders for 2017 - They may consider a young Aussie rider for the 2018 season

Kokoso said:
Mayomaniac said:
Wow, Manuel Senni is showing signs of life, he finished 7th on the stage and I think that managed to finish in the top 10 on gc.
Wow...wait, why wow? Who is he? Some long forgotten injury mared great Italian talent?
He was a very good espoir climber, quite a few top 10s in various Italian hilly one-dayers and two mountaintop stage wins and a GC podium in the Giro della Valle d'Aosta in 2014 (at Les Marécottes and Breuil-Cervinia), so he was seen as a big prospect. He went pro start of last year (with BMC) and apart from a somewhat surprising top 5 in the 2015 Italian national time trial, has done nothing of any note since, until the top 10 in the final stage here.

TRENDING THREADS