• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Oliwright said:
Anyone just got a feeling that Quintana is going to loose time tmr?
i hope it's the opposite we're going to witness...and we may ! here's my logic. so far the dawg has nor been able to shake quintana mano man on any of the climbs so far. unless i missed some coverage (possible). realizing that fact - the supposed climbing parity with quintana - the dawg took, imo, too much risks (given his supposed superiority) to gain some seconds on 2 sprinter stages. perhaps he saw himself in need of the handicap looking to tomorrows steeper grades where quintana's feather weight is likely to help him.

a truly exciting stage that should be !

With the stakes being so high, the finish lower hence less glory ftw, a shorter and more nervous climb of the Ventoux to be expected, it's a different mixture that we're looking at. Teams will save energy, a BOD will develop, and with 3-4 minutes at the bottom of the climb, a good climber may succeed. I have someone in mind, of course ;) . Among the current top-10, it's a gut check: who will ride in the wheels, hope to lose less than others, and who will go on the offensive. It's shorter, steep, good news for Valverde, he can better help Quintana. What will Froome do? How long will he put up with everybody's shenanigans before putting the pedal to the metal? I can imagine an aggressive Bardet, a defensive TJVG, Porte is intriguing in a shorter climb, Aru I don't know. But what I know is that something great is going to happen...I don't know what, but something :) .

So... is tomorrow gonna be the day when BMC leader will be discovered? My bet is in Porte.
About the rest, with the crosswinds and windy climb I believe in a more explosive climb. Maybe Aru can have a say? Team up with someone?
Anyway, Quintana needs to start thinking about doing something.

Re:

lenric said:
So... is tomorrow gonna be the day when BMC leader will be discovered? My bet is in Porte.
About the rest, with the crosswinds and windy climb I believe in a more explosive climb. Maybe Aru can have a say? Team up with someone?
Anyway, Quintana needs to start thinking about doing something.
Porte will be stronger than Vangarderen, but in the Alps when he will start assisting him, Porte will have his off-day.

Gigs_98 said:
Windforecast for tomorrow:
https://www.windyty.com/?43.666,5.361,9

It's definitely crosswind and the strength is comparable to today. It would be great to see the favorties on the final climb already separated before they even start to climb.
I'm staying close to Ventoux at the moment, near Vaison de Romaines and the wind hasn't stopped all night, it's absolutely howling. Yesterday I was doing 50kmh in sections coming back from Ventoux and I was barely touching the pedals.

There's gonna be crosswinds and splits for sure, the peloton will be on edge all day.

halfway in the race and yet the two main contenders Froome & Quintana are separated by mere 35 secs.

It is time to either widening gaps or shortening them down "by being aggressive and putting the hammer down".

If Quintana wants to win this Tour - The path to forge the title starts today - neither this coming Sunday - nor later in the 3rd week. IT IS NOW!!!

As opposite - Froome can well keep gaining few secs steadily to build up the sufficient buffer to use against Quintana on the 3rd week while getting more out of on Friday's ITT which is the best chance for him to widen considerably the time gap on Nairo.

bottom line: Ventoux is "critical" for the TDF title. GAME ON!!!

42x16ss said:
Gigs_98 said:
Windforecast for tomorrow:
https://www.windyty.com/?43.666,5.361,9

It's definitely crosswind and the strength is comparable to today. It would be great to see the favorties on the final climb already separated before they even start to climb.
I'm staying close to Ventoux at the moment, near Vaison de Romaines and the wind hasn't stopped all night, it's absolutely howling. Yesterday I was doing 50kmh in sections coming back from Ventoux and I was barely touching the pedals.

There's gonna be crosswinds and splits for sure, the peloton will be on edge all day.

:twisted:

Fingers crossed.

Re:

spalco said:
It's disappointing they're not going all the way up today, but I'm really excited to learn who's right - is Froome making such unorthodox attacks because he's weak or because he's strong?

I believe he's strong. Since today's stage is a tough one, I think Froome wouldn't waste so much energy yesterday without knowing he is strong.
However, I believe he is afraid of not being stronger than Quintana in the next week, thus this new strategy.

Ventoux mutilated, but it's still a big climb with '' Italian slopes ''. for me it will be more than enough to create spectacle, worthy of the duel Quintana-Froome

stage-5-Chalet-Reynard-Mont-Ventoux.jpg