• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Cancelled said:
No bad will meant to anyone, but let's just hope that the ASO finally learn from this and start to put real controls in place on these MTF's.

I'm not sure how many Giros you watch, but RCS is very good about lining MTFs with barriers. It's boring on television. An absolute snooze if you line the climb with barriers. People just sit in the shade behind the barrier and golf clap.

audience.png

The audience only care about themselves.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Thoe writing Quintana off should realsie that wind today was too strong for himand when he attacked he used up too much energy and before the climb

The problem is now that whoever wins there will be a taint

When exactly did he use ANY energy before he attacked? And it's not like his attack was especially explosive or put anyone in even the slightest difficulty. Poels followed with barely any notable struggle at all. I saw him at the front...not at all. If he's getting dropped on this kind of climb, he's definitely not in form.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

spalco said:
Gloin22 said:
Flamin said:
What in the fricking name of god happened???

Fan crashed, moto had to stop abruptly. Took out Porte, Froome and Mollema. Porte and Froome bikes got smashed, but then Froome didn't have bike for ages and had to run. All in all, scandal :D

Porte hit that motorcycle pretty damn hard btw, right into the camera. Hope he's ok.

Yep that hurt !

bp92 said:
This.
Hoping that they somehow reset the times. It's only fair.
Also in the latin american ESPN commentary they're talking about Froome possibly getting DQ'd for running without his bike. Could see Sky outright boycotting ASO if it happened.

Relax captain Sky. Froome will take that minute back with ease. Your podium was set. Froome, Porte, Yates.

Another week to go.

webvan said:
webvan said:
I thought it was a Mavic motorbike that got stuck originally with guys on hand right away but we also had pictures so maybe it was a TV motorbike?

Yep definitely a TV bike with the camera and microphones, the driver needs to explain what happened.

If all three had lost time it would be easier to handle but not fair to Mollema now if he gets the same time as LRP and Froome.

The coverage was awful, and I admit that I only caught about the last 3 minutes of the stage for the GC group, but it seems that people behind Mollema also ended up being stuck in the traffic jam, so he could have benefited overall from his crash as strange as it sounds.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Froome's bike got stolen, there were images of him originally running with his bike on his shoulder. Then, he set it down on the side of the road next to some fans.

Re:

Amused said:
https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/753610361304145920

Geraint Thomas on being shown pic of Froome running: 'Well, he's from Kenya, you expect him to be good at that.' #TDF2016 

LOL

I am not a Froome fan but the result cannot stand. Porte and Froome should either be given the same time as Mollema or alternatively the GC result for the day should be neutralised.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Here is what ASO should do.

Froome keeps his current time in the interest of a close contest.

Porte and Mollema get a linear approximation of how much they would have gained, had they continued, ie more than Mollema gained. Porte gets another extra 45s subtracted from his cumulative Tour time to correct for the greatest injustice in professional cycling.

Rest unchanged.

All I can hope is that something good comes out of this. Maybe ASO can learn from RCS and manage these mountain finishes better.

Because however bad this has been, lets remember no-one got truly hurt, and with some luck, today might prevent that from happening in the future.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Cancelled said:
No bad will meant to anyone, but let's just hope that the ASO finally learn from this and start to put real controls in place on these MTF's.

I'm not sure how many Giros you watch, but RCS is very good about lining MTFs with barriers. It's boring on television. An absolute snooze if you line the climb with barriers. People just sit in the shade behind the barrier and golf clap.
Many sports do just fine without having fans 50 cm from the athletes.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
One has to admit that the sight of Froome running around in cycle shoes on the middle of the road was a tragically funny picture :)
That said, catastrophic event today. The organizers are partly responsible for the lack of security on the road.

What is also, Porte looked like he was about to open a slight gap. Now we will never know...
I'm the most sarcastic guy on the planet. But I don't get it, what was funny about a possible hurt cyclist with the yellow jersey, in panic, running up the road?

TRENDING THREADS