• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
WillemS said:
samhocking said:
So two fans involved in changing outcome of race. You simply can't have one fan causing a crash and then another fan stealing the very bike you were just racing on. Tour de France organisers will be the laughing stock on every news channel tonight otherwise.

Froome's bike wasn't stolen. Froome first ran with it, then dumped it against a motorbike. The video footage has been posted in this thread.

Did you expect Froome to lock it up or something?

Just because he left his bike behind, it doesn't give somebody the right to take it.

Okay, I haven't seen the source for that story. If it's Froome directly after the finish, I highly doubt he had knowledge on the whereabouts of his bike as he, well, left it behind and out of sight.

Re:

staubsauger said:
That narcissistic French goof Prudhomme needs to get fired for this. This never happens at the Giro. Yet, Zomegnan had to go in 2011, after Wouter's fatal crash and the controversial route design. It's time to get rid off that nationalistic clown! Prudhomme is a disgrace for cycling!

Dosnt happen at the Giro because they have only 1/4 of the spectators

Re:

Ramira said:
A small part of me is hoping the result stands, and Froome just destroys everyone tomorrow and ends up winning the tour by 3-5 minutes.

Just to show that he is by far the best this tour (at least after Contador crashed) and that the ASO are incompetent.

Yes, just drive home the mockery that sky makes of the competition. Put like 20 minutes on everyone.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

doperhopper said:
DFA123 said:
Just seen it again; Froome really did panic. While Porte was there patiently adjusting his chain and derailleur, Froome was running up the road. Perhaps he should go on a mechanics course.

new marginal gain idea for brailsford

Froome's bike might have been more damaged.

The Hitch said:
glassmoon said:
apparently fans could now "decide" who wins TdF. just start knocking the riders off their bikes and ASO will be fine with that. brilliant.
You do realize this is nowhere near the first time a spectator has caused a crash in pro cycling?

Stomping of feet! Gnashing of teeth! Barriers every KM of every stage!

I hope they don't get too creative resetting results.

Fight.The.Power said:
The Hitch said:
glassmoon said:
apparently fans could now "decide" who wins TdF. just start knocking the riders off their bikes and ASO will be fine with that. brilliant.
You do realize this is nowhere near the first time a spectator has caused a crash in pro cycling?

But don't you think it has got worse Hitch ??

Well considering the Guerini crash happened in 1999 and Merckx got hit in his spleen in 1975 I'm not so sure it's gotten that much worse. It's just more published now.

Yet that shouldn't matter. It's simply not acceptable. Regardless if it happened in the past.

Edit: Apparently Froome tweeted he remained in the yellow. So they did something to the times.

Edit2:

glassmoon said:
The Hitch said:
glassmoon said:
well that kinda proves my point :D
fans just need to start doing it on purpose ;)

They did that, as I mentioned in this post, Merckx in 1975, that didn't lead to any permanent changes either.

Re:

rune1107 said:
Bjarne Riis saying in Danish broadcast, that this is the funniest he has ever seen. God he must hate Froome!

If he has said that, I have lost some respect for him, someone like him should realise what it takes to put time into good climbers on Ventoux, then to have it stolen from you is cruel, so him finding it funny sounds a bit sour grapes for the times Froome has handed his teams arse to them. Sad act.

Re:

staubsauger said:
That narcissistic French goof Prudhomme needs to get fired for this. This never happens at the Giro. Yet, Zomegnan had to go in 2011, after Wouter's fatal crash and the controversial route design. It's time to get rid off that nationalistic clown! Prudhomme is a disgrace for cycling!
You can't blame him for public mistakes. You have to remember he shortened the Ventoux summit for public and riders safety.

That's unfair.

DirtyWorks said:
jaylew said:
Hilarious. Podium "set"? Yates, who's never been tested over 3 weeks is a given over Mollema, Aru, Quintana, and the like? NOt saying he couldn't do it but "podium set" is laughable.

I get you are new to the sport. I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Ventoux is a beast that sorts podiums. Froome, Porte, Yates in Paris, in that order. Baring disaster, your podium is set. Bookmark the post and let's reconvene next Sunday.

Tejay may finally be in spitting distance of a grand tour podium because of this. It's the only way that's possible.
You've been here for awhile so I assume you're smart enough to realize I've been here a year longer than you have so I guess you're admitting you're the one "new" to the sport. And if Ventoux is such a "beast" why have Yates and not Mollema?

TRENDING THREADS