• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CnWNJ7mWgAAY5av.jpg

Guess that was Landa who got penalized for taking a bottle from the team on the sideline within 10k is it? Taking one for Froome? :D

What was Aru's punishment?

Re:

classicomano said:
TGBM not happy. At all. #makemollemagreatagain

e8afc4d25b.png

Can you really blame Mollema for being upset? When you are in good physical form and you come that close to the yellow jersey in the tour de france, and then it changes back to where you were before the stage? I am not arguing for either or in terms of time adjustments, I am saying one would expect Mollema to be at least a little upset.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have been watching the video of the crash over and over again, and can't see a motorbike crashing Froom from behind. I can see Mollema hitting Froom but no a motorbike. I am missing something? Any link where i can see something different?

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
happytramp said:
Off topic... but who are all these poster with single or low double digit posts?

I'm one of those.

I was looking for somewhere good to find news of this year's Tour and found this site and then this forum a few days ago.

I'm mostly into mountain biking and haven't followed the tour for years, but this one is proving to be very entertaining! This afternoon the comments on this tyhread were so entertaining I hardly bothered to find any actual coverage until after the finale.

Re:

aarononymous said:
CnWNJ7mWgAAY5av.jpg

Guess that was Landa who got penalized for taking a bottle from the team on the sideline within 10k is it? Taking one for Froome? :D

What was Aru's punishment?

I don't speak French so I have to guess but I'd say that maybe for the fake saddle adjustment during which the team car also accelerated. Sticky bottles and drafting was the usual stuff done by everyone.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
MountTiede said:
My kids love watching the tour on TV, but pictures of drunk 18 stone men wearing mankini's for TV exposure make me uncomfortable to allow them to watch. Why are these idiots not arrested for indecent behaviour?

I love the Tour and & have watched it avidly for 30 years. However it's becoming a shameful spectacle because of the fans. ASO & the UCI need to decide, do they want a bike race or a travelling circus?

Drunken spectators dressing like idiots has become popular indeed, unfortunately. I wish they did something against, but what can you do? I'm not sure if it's possible to arrest them for indecent behaviour.

How about broadcasters switch cameras as soon as an idiot fan starts running.

avanti said:
Kwibus said:
MountTiede said:
My kids love watching the tour on TV, but pictures of drunk 18 stone men wearing mankini's for TV exposure make me uncomfortable to allow them to watch. Why are these idiots not arrested for indecent behaviour?

I love the Tour and & have watched it avidly for 30 years. However it's becoming a shameful spectacle because of the fans. ASO & the UCI need to decide, do they want a bike race or a travelling circus?

Drunken spectators dressing like idiots has become popular indeed, unfortunately. I wish they did something against, but what can you do? I'm not sure if it's possible to arrest them for indecent behaviour.

How about broadcasters switch cameras as soon as an idiot fan starts running.

Then we would be watching medieval monuments and french nature for the entire mtf.

RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:
Jelantik said:
What's the point of this argument about Quintana and held by the crash. Quintana got dropped. Fair and square He ain't gonna come back to Froome group. He was lucky that there was as crash, otherwise he would be loosing much more time. He got no legs. Not in Arcalis and not today. Yesterday clearly zapped his energy. Tomorrow is a survival mode for him.
You've missed the point. He got dropped after having to stop to pass the crash. It clearly impacted the way the last 1km of the stage was raced. If Froome's time was neutralized at the point of the crash, then it's correct that Quintana's was as well.

Of course it's very unlikely he was coming back to the Froome group, no-one has suggested that. He may well have been luck that the crash minimized his time loss; but that doesn't change the fact that you can't apply one rule to some riders, and a different one to others, when they were both affected by the same incident.

I think that Quintana was just tired today and that's why there was a gap between him and the group in the end.
I don't disagree, but, at the same time, I don't think that the UCI is in a position to draw that conclusion. Movistar will say they were negatively influenced being held up by the crash and, the UCI can't really disprove that. Having neutralized Froome's time, they have to do the same with Quintana.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Just a comment from the OP here.

I've been reading this forum for at least six years, and I know it can get nasty sometimes. Having read through 100+ pages of this thread, I still feel saddened by it. People wishing death and violence upon others. Spewing vitriol against riders, posters, you name it. July crowd and the tragedy of the commons, I know. I wish we would all just think a moment before posting, newcomers and veterans alike. Am I contributing something of positive value to the world, or negative? Obviously I'm not criticizing all of you, most know how to behave themselves. All I'm saying is that it's making me have second thoughts about the effort I put into contributing here. And I am aware of the futility of this comment. Sigh.

Mantis

MeiLewis said:
happytramp said:
Off topic... but who are all these poster with single or low double digit posts?

I'm one of those.

I was looking for somewhere good to find news of this year's Tour and found this site and then this forum a few days ago.

I'm mostly into mountain biking and haven't followed the tour for years, but this one is proving to be very entertaining! This afternoon the comments on this tyhread were so entertaining I hardly bothered to find any actual coverage until after the finale.

Welcome, but please remember to do some upper body training.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

avanti said:
Is there any helicopter video of the Froome-group/moto crash?

What did the moto driver have to say?

I'm still waiting for spectator cellphone footage. There must be some, I hope they put it online.

Re:

avanti said:
Is there any helicopter video of the Froome-group/moto crash?

What did the moto driver have to say?

I watched Porte interview and when reporter asked something like "another moto incident" then Porte said it wasn't really motorbike fault, just too many people. I guess driver will be saying the same thing.

Well that was all rather unsatisfactory. But it's only been a matter of time till something like this happened on a MTF. As it's wrecked the Tour's marque stage on Bastille Day, maybe something will happen as a result, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that this happened with a short notice change to the finish.

IMHO the outcome is the only possible one but clearly lots of people were disadvantaged, not least Mollema, Froome and Porte. But at least De Gendt and co were home and hosed for the stage win and minor places.

Great ride by Mollema, looked super strong as did LRP.

Kwibus said:
MountTiede said:

There was actually a completely naked spectator at the bottom of the climb today. He was fat, and on the left hand side of the screen for about a second. Vile.

Kwibus said:
MountTiede said:

The vedict has been clear since ages. they want a traveling circus. Besides the media does focus on the most weird ones.

MeiLewis said:
happytramp said:

I'm one of those.

Welcome! I found the forum under the same circumstances... it's great when for you can't see what's going on early on in the stage before you get to a TV, and for reading the comments while you're watching, for that extra analysis.

TRENDING THREADS