• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 20: Megève → Morzine (147km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:
Bardamu said:
Go all out from the start. Froome must feel his fall today tomorrow, they need to put him under pressure as quickly as they can. (But then again, if he loses 1-2 minutes in first two climbs, he has his team to bring him back on the flat). But one can only hope for some spectacle!
His team can't close a 1-2 minutes gap on the flat against Astana, Movistar and other teams like AG2R. And if he really would drop there he would loose way more time on the last two climbs anyway. Imagine Froome really cracks, Bardet attacks on the Joux Plane to confirm his tdf victory, then crashes on the wet Joux Plane descent and Quintana wins the tour :D :D :D . That would be absolutely horrible but an even bigger WTF than Nibali winning the giro this year

The Quintana detractors would be on suicide watch

Quintana detractors are praying to see him on attack and finishing second for the third time :lol:

I know this is the competition you all care about the most. :p

GC Since The First Rest Day

Chris FROOME 37:34:34
Stef CLEMENT +0:36
Richie PORTE +3:07
Romain BARDET +3:27
Nairo QUINTANA +4:04
Adam YATES +4:30
Fabio ARU +4:37
Alejandro VALVERDE +5:19
Louis MEINTJES +6:07
Dan MARTIN +6:51
Bauke MOLLEMA +6:58
Joaquim RODRIGUEZ +7:15
Jarlinson PANTANO +7:17
Roman KREUZIGER +9:05
Ilnur ZAKARIN + 13:45

Clement in the break tomorrow, hopefully.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Bardamu said:
He didn't fall that hard, but as Andrew said, he will feel it this night and tomorrow. If the other riders still have hopes for yellow, they should put Froomey under pressure directly. Otherwise we'll just have a nice fight for nr 2. and 3. spots.
Yeah, anyway I think tomorrow will be quite entertaining. I think 4-6 place all still have a realistic chance to podium so there should be a big fight.

Besides that, can anyone explain why the finish is called Morzine-Avoriaz? Isn't Avoriaz the skiing station on the Col de Joux Verte?

Avoriaz is right above Morzine, so exactly the same reason we had Galibier-Serre Chevalier (ski resort in the valley) before - Tour towns pay hell a lot for being Tour towns, and they do anything for publicity (e.g. St.Gervais added Mt. Blanc to its name recently)

the whole Tour is in fact one big advertisement for the only industry that somehow works in France (tourist industry, you know, no unions, no strikes ;-) - sorry for being rude, have a first-hand experience, living in France now)

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Isn't Avoriaz the climb, as in the climb Morzine-Avoriaz they finished on in 2010 when LA dropped on Ramaz?
It is.

I can't find mention of Avoriaz anywhere, so I edited the OP a little
It's the title of the stage on letour.fr. It's not the title in the roadbook however.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Not being on his osymetric chain ring probably had a decently large effect, but the effects of a crash are always felt harder the day after your crash.
Probably not. Any benefits from oval chainrings are marginal at best.

I think it will be touch and go for Froome. His knee was bandaged in the presentation, if that stiffens up he's in the sh*t. The other teams will attack full bore, should be a classic stage. Hopefully Froome isn't totally crocked so it's a good contest.

CheckMyPecs said:
PremierAndrew said:
Not being on his osymetric chain ring probably had a decently large effect, but the effects of a crash are always felt harder the day after your crash.
Probably not. Any benefits from oval chainrings are marginal at best.

It's a completely different system. If Froome spends his entire time riding osymetric chain rings and is suddenly on a bike too small (meaning his elbows didn't stick out :eek: ) with a completely different type of chain ring too, it probably did have a fairly large effect

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Isn't Avoriaz the climb, as in the climb Morzine-Avoriaz they finished on in 2010 when LA dropped on Ramaz?
Yeah, the climb used as a mtf in 2010 is the Joux-Verte, a pass which starts in Morzine

Ah, so thats the climb you can combo with Ramaz + JP + Joux Verte. I thought Morzine-Avoriaz was another climb altogether.

Yeah, sort of. Joux Verte has two sides you can climb. At the top there's an intersection with a road to the Avoriaz ski station that's just up the road, so that stage went through the col either way. If you wanted that 4-climb combo you'd just be climbing Joux Verte twice. What you could do after Morzine is climb it and finish on a downhill into town again (or finish in Les Gets nearby). Something people have sort of pondered before.

Anyways, back to the stage itself. I vote for Mollema pulling a Landis. :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
SeriousSam said:
I didn't pay close attention, did Froome really come down that hard?
Nah, he had a few bruises but nothing serious. He's probably just taking it easy with the Olympics in mind.
He said that his knee hurt.
You never know, these crashed usually hurt much more on the next day, Movistar and Astana will probably ride hard early on to test him.
What would be funnier, Mollema going full Landis or Quintana winning the Tour by riding like Leipheimer?

Hopefully we see this again. Similar profile/climbs to one of the great cycling stages, totally understand if people can't enjoy it anymore, but Floyd was a bit of a hero of mine growing up, and still is. The day Armstrong's fall from grace began, "a magnificent show of defiance, and a great piece of revenge!"
DV95073_600.jpg

TomLPC said:
Hopefully we see this again. Similar profile/climbs to one of the great cycling stages, totally understand if people can't enjoy it anymore, but Floyd was a bit of a hero of mine growing up, and still is. The day Armstrong's fall from grace began, "a magnificent show of defiance, and a great piece of revenge!"
DV95073_600.jpg

No thanks.

The good news is that for Aru and Astana to get anything out of this TdF they need to hammer it hard again from early on. That could again really shake things up on the last climb. I'd be surprised if the top 3 remains the same as it is at the moment. There is a lot of potential for movement and they all looked wrecked from 3-6 today. Think we'll see someone else drop big time and Meintjes move up one.

TRENDING THREADS