• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

2016 Tour of California 2.HC May 15-22

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Visit site
Re:

ice&fire said:
I'm a bit let down by Saturday's stage. I can't see it making any change to GC, which is a bit of a waste if the last day is a parade unless the race is decided by bonus seconds like last year.

Are you sure? If you watch the intro video, you will learn that the Santa Rosa stage is the greatest stage ever. At least that's what Levi said :D
 
Mar 11, 2009
748
0
0
Visit site
Just checked the route.. this is one of the best versions... ouch there are some mean stages..
Kings ridge is no joke and there is a lot more before that ! this could be good !
 
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
ice&fire said:
I'm a bit let down by Saturday's stage. I can't see it making any change to GC, which is a bit of a waste if the last day is a parade unless the race is decided by bonus seconds like last year.

Are you sure? If you watch the intro video, you will learn that the Santa Rosa stage is the greatest stage ever. At least that's what Levi said :D

Yeah, this year they won't compare Gibraltar Rd to Alpe d'Huez to avoid hurting Levi's feeelings :D
 
Jun 17, 2015
24
0
3,580
Visit site
Anderis said:
Craddock FTW!

Ridiculously strong sprinting field. Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan, Cavendish, Coquard, Groenewegen, Wippert, Van Poppel, Swift and few others. Maybe even better than the Giro sprinting field.

Stage 4 really interesting and a bit un-Tour of California-like.
"For John, it is all about gaining race rhythm and there is no immediate pressure for him to deliver results"
- http://cyclingquotes.com/news/degenkolb_ready_for_first_stage_race_in_california/#Z7vmCf5DQOw57t2l.97
 
Looking forward to seeing John back and I tend to enjoy this race as a friendly supplement to the day's Giro action, even something hypnotically fascinating watching circuits through the sun soaked towns with their massive roads.
 
Anderis said:
Craddock FTW!

Ridiculously strong sprinting field. Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan, Cavendish, Coquard, Groenewegen, Wippert, Van Poppel, Swift and few others. Maybe even better than the Giro sprinting field.

Stage 4 really interesting and a bit un-Tour of California-like.

Lol, Kittel and Greipel alone is better than this sprinting field. Cavendish should win a couple of these sh!t small races
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Anderis said:
Craddock FTW!

Ridiculously strong sprinting field. Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan, Cavendish, Coquard, Groenewegen, Wippert, Van Poppel, Swift and few others. Maybe even better than the Giro sprinting field.

Stage 4 really interesting and a bit un-Tour of California-like.

Lol, Kittel and Greipel alone is better than this sprinting field. Cavendish should win a couple of these **** small races

Yoy are correct. Those Germans are very likely the fastest two guys at the moment.

If the other riders/sprinters are not good enough for you, nobody is saying that you have to watch these **** small races. :D

The rest of us may enjoy the battles between Sagan, Kristoff, Cav, Coquard etc :cool:
 
The usual comment about the Tour of California route is that at least one of the stages should be run in reverse. Stage 2 last year, Stage 4the year before, Stage 5 before that in 2013 (Stage 8 too, but assuming they wouldn't change the last stage in Santa Rosa). Stage 2 and stage 3 in 2011 I'm sure there are more, but I can't easily browse the profiles of before 2012. So that being said, I'm glad they didn't do that with stage 5 this year. Maybe an argument could be made for stage 7, though.

I'm not an every-stage-needs-a-MTF person, but this Tour does need something more than the fregquent big bunch coming in on wide highways. To me, there's not really a difference between the ToC and the Tour of Oman, except that the ToC pretends its something grander.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Visit site
Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
The usual comment about the Tour of California route is that at least one of the stages should be run in reverse. Stage 2 last year, Stage 4the year before, Stage 5 before that in 2013 (Stage 8 too, but assuming they wouldn't change the last stage in Santa Rosa). Stage 2 and stage 3 in 2011 I'm sure there are more, but I can't easily browse the profiles of before 2012. So that being said, I'm glad they didn't do that with stage 5 this year. Maybe an argument could be made for stage 7, though.

I'm not an every-stage-needs-a-MTF person, but this Tour does need something more than the fregquent big bunch coming in on wide highways. To me, there's not really a difference between the ToC and the Tour of Oman, except that the ToC pretends its something grander.


The problem with ToC is that the organizers have no interest in designing a proper high-quality race and it is all about the cash from the host cities.

For example, the first stage in San Diego. They will be taking all the touristy routes, Balboa Park, Gaslamp Quarter, Coronado Bridge and then will hit south. :eek:

Let me tell you, Imperial Beach is a %^$#-hole and the whole South Bay part of San Diego is a predominantly poorer hispanic area.

While the Honey Spring climb is somewhat popular among those living in that area, the majority of the local group rides and popular cycling routes etc are happening in the North County of San Diego where the terrain is so much better.

Even the popular Belgian Waffle Ride (143 miles of paved and gravel roads) is routed through the North County. The event is popular because it has great route, picked by local riders.
.. if you are not familiar with the Waffle Ride: https://vimeo.com/162612377

Anyway, so much potential and they pick the worst roads they could find ... sorry, I need to go vomit
 
Oct 6, 2009
5,270
2
0
Visit site
Looks like Barry Gibb will be racing this year.

sptdw6022_670.jpg


(Poor old Paul Weller sitting next to him. They just cut him out of the photo. Merikan press apparently doesn't appreciate his greatness.)
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Visit site
Phil & Paul are back. I missed you so much ... grrrrrrr

I thought Phil was the senile one and now it seems that Paul is not far behind. Just learned that they will be sprinting in Santa Clarita today :eek: